Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
The Return of a Friend by Merkal
[Reviews - 2] Printer

- Text Size +
Chapter 2

The Return of a Friend

By Marco Merkelijn


"Come Rafeek!" I called my friend and pet. The camel walked to me and hold still before me. I loaded him up with the goods that I had bought at the local market place. "It’s to bad you have to leave already Merkal" I turn to face the girl standing behind me. She’s not much older then 18 I guessed. "Yes well thank you Helen and you too Yasmine for helping me around this strange city but I miss Agrabah, my family and my friends" Both Helen and Yasmine smiled Helen said "It’s nice to meet someone from another city, a city so far away from Greece." After saying good bye and a hand shake with both girls I took Rafeek's reigns and left Athena behind me.

We walked the whole day to the next city where we would take a ship to cross the sea to the coast of the kingdom of Agrabah. "Rafeek we won't make the cross over today. We'll find a place to sleep for the night" the camel seemed to be relieved with the news. He’s, just as myself tired from the long walk. I found a nice little inn with a stable where I could put Rafeek save for the night. The owners where a middle-aged couple, it where friendly people. The women gave me a good dinner with the words "here you need it" I thanked her after dinner I went to check on Rafeek. The camel was content with his place in the stable among horses and 2 other camels. I gave him water and fresh hay petted him on the back "Sleep well Rafeek tomorrow we will find a ship for the 2 day cross over the sea..." stopping a moment I walked to a window of the stable and looked up at the night sky watching the bright stars blinking at me. "Then we are only 1 and a half day away from the city." My voice trembled saying the last sentence. I wondered why shaking the thoughts out of my head I got to my room.

The next morning I found a ship that was heading in that direction and would make a short stop at the coast near Agrabah to get some supplies. I was welcome to join with Rafeek if I was willing to work for it. I badly wanted to see Agrabah again. I missed the city, the people, the feeling standing of on the market selling my goods. I missed my mom but above all I missed seeing my best friend. So I agreed. But first I went back to the inn to pay and thank the couple for their hospitality. With Rafeek behind me I boarded the ship. A sailor pointed me below decks where I could set Rafeek away. Carefully we got below decks. The smell of the sea welcomed us below I turned my head the other way and hold my breath "I hate that smell, of dead fish and seaweed" I said out loud. A laugh came from a dark corner of the space.

"Get used to it lad. The next 2 days this is your place to sleep" a sailor said dressed in typical sailor clothing and a parrot on his left shoulder repeating "Awk sleep, Awk sleep" I laughed about the parrot. "Ever since I met Iago I like parrots much" I told the sailor. He asked me what kind of parrot this Iago was. I gave him a description how he looked like and that he can talk like humans. The sailors eyes widen "Wow that’s some parrot. I want to meet him someday" I told him that I didn't know where he was because he had left Agrabah. The man seemed a bit disappointed then another sailor hollered that I had to come above decks to help making the ship ready for departure. Quickly I loaded off Rafeek and rushed up.

The sailor and I talked some more those 2 days and I helped as much as a merchant on a ship could do. I think I didn't too bad cause the sailor, whose name was Marvin. He told me I had the blood of a sailor in me. I laughed about it and said, "I don't think so Marvin. I'm and always will be a merchant just as my good father whose soul is with Allah now." And besides I couldn't stay away from my family and my best friend for such a long time. I thought. Marvin told me he came from a nearby country called Italy. His great grand father came from Greece and his great grand mother from Agrabah. "So perhaps you have some merchant blood in you after all." I said to him.Those two days past quickly, Rafeek wasn't to pleased when we hit full sea but he was brave the whole time. At the end of the second day I told him "Hold on a little longer Rafeek. We'll be at the coast in a few hours." It was late in the evening when the ship docked in the harbor at a coast city not far from Agrabah. With my trusted pet I spend the night in an inn. "Well Rafeek only 1 and a half day before we see Agrabah again I can't wait to see everyone. I miss them all." Rafeek looked up with a sad expression "Yes I know that you miss them all too" I gave him a hug he licked my face. That night I slept peacefully. Before we would leave the city that morning I bought food and water at the local market. Walking along the market I looked up at the buildings there. I was amazed that the style in where they where build was so much like the buildings back in Agrabah. I heard stories from the people that this city had its own genie for many years. "No one had found the lamp until one day a little girl rubbed a bottle and a female genie came out" told a man. I thought about the story I knew I had heard it before then it hit me. That female genie was Eden Genie’s girl friend. It was funny that I ended up here. I had to remember that and tell Genie when I was back in Agrabah. I bought the food and water and got back to the inn. An hour later I left the city following the path to Agrabah.

After spending the night in a little oasis we arrived in later that morning at Agrabah. Holding still at the gates I inhaled the desert air mixed with the scents of food from the market. It felt so good to be back I thought. Looking around I noticed that nothing had changed in the last weeks. It only looked so much better as if where was a fade glow around the people, the stall, and the animals. "No it’s just my mind playing tricks." I told myself "I missed it. Well first I put the goods away and then go to mother" I said to half myself half to Rafeek. With the camel walking beside me I headed to my little home not far from the market. There I loaded off the goods from poor Rafeek who was tired I gently petted him "you can rest at mother’s only a few more minutes" after putting away the goods I took my old friend by the reigns and walked in the direction of my mothers house. Turning around a corner I bumped into some one. "Oh I'm sorry I didn't watch where I was going" I apologized to the young women on the ground helping her up she looked at me and smiled "Merkal you're back!" I smiled too because the young women was my good friend Crystal "Salaam Crystal. Yes I just came home. It’s good to see you." She hugged me and I returned it. Seeing Crystal again made my thoughts wonder off to Yesenia 'how would she react seeing me again after being away for many weeks, almost 3 months I think’ I got a feeling of nervously over me. "How are you and how’s Yesenia?" I asked her. "I'm fine and Yesenia is okay too she made a new friend an elf named Bree but I know she misses you allot." I smiled hearing that Yesenia missed me although I wasn't afraid she would have forgotten me I wasn't sure what to think. "Bree huh? I think I saw her one or two times before I left." I took a breath getting the courage to ask Crystal "I want to see Yesenia again. I missed her too. I think my mother wouldn't mind waiting a little longer" Crystal nodded. She knew that her sister would very much like to see her best friend again after such a long time. 'They have something special, a friendship that’s hard to find. But hey I have my handsome Fazaal so I won't complain’ Crystal thought by herself "Come on we surprise her" she took my hand and quickly walked to the market to my stand.

Rafeek seemed less tired after he saw Crystal again he licked her every where he found some bare skin. Crystal was glad to see him again. She has always been very found on him.

It was nice to be at my spot but knowing that I would see Yesenia made it. I couldn't find the right word. Special I think. Crystal told me to hide behind the corner and wait for her signal. I did as I was told and waited for about 10 minutes. Then I heard two voices Crystal’s voice and Yesenia’s. Crystal told her sister to close her eyes. Then Crystal got me. Seeing Yesenia standing there with closed eyes made me smile it was always funny to surprise or just fool her. With a nod from Crystal I said, "You can open them now." She opened them I saw that her eyes lighted up when she saw me again. A smile on her face told me she was happy to see me again. We hugged, it felt good to hug her again. She told me she had missed me allot something I was happy to hear why I didn't know. I told her that I missed her too and she smiled. I suggested to the sisters to visit my mother and with Rafeek behind us we walked to my mom’s house. Walking with Yesenia on my right and Crystal on my left I heard the same song that I heard often since I had met them. It was song by a man perhaps a merchant? I didn't know but I was determined to find out.

Arabian Nights

Oh I come from a land
From a faraway place
Where the caravan camels roam
Where they cut off your ear
If they don't like your face
It's barbaric, but hey, it's home
When the wind's at your back
And the sun's from the west
And the sand in the glass is right
Come on down, stop on by
Hop a carpet and fly
To another Arabian night

Arabian nights
Like Arabian days
More often than not
Are hotter than hot
In a lot of good ways

Arabian nights
'Neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
Could fall and fall hard
Out there on the dunes

Looking at my right I smiled again at Yesenia "Yes it’s good to be home again" I mumbled. Crystal asked me "What?" I shook my head "Nothing" but I knew Yesenia understood she took my hand leaning closer she whispered "It’s good to have you back my friend"

Disclaimer: Merkal and Rafeek are mine and so is Marvin the sailor. Yesenia and Crystal are Michelle's. Arabian Nights is Disney's