Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
Within by Sindie
[Reviews - 4] Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +
Chapter Two

"Come on out, Aladdin," prodded Jasmine. "I'm sure it can't be that bad."

Jasmine was standing outside the doors that led to the room where Aladdin had been getting ready for the party. The doors remained shut for another minute before Aladdin's muffled voice muttered, "Do I have to?"

"Yes!" exclaimed Jasmine, growing a little impatient. "I've been waiting out here for ten minutes. You can't keep the guests waiting, Aladdin. The party will be starting in only fifteen minutes."

From behind the door, Jasmine could hear Aladdin sigh heavily. After a few footsteps to the door, the knob clicked, revealing only Aladdin's head as he stuck it out between a small crack. He looked humiliated, and Jasmine didn't know whether she wanted to giggle or kiss him or both. The expression on his face was somehow adorable to her, so reaching for his cheeks, she pulled his face forward toward hers and into a romantic kiss.

After the kiss ended several seconds later, Aladdin sighed contentedly and smiled at his princess. "Do we really have to go down there? Can't you and I just stay here, alone?"

"Very tempting, Aladdin," said Jasmine, half-teasingly, "but everyone is waiting for you. It's your big day. Trust me, you have no reason to be worried."

Aladdin and Jasmine walked to the ball room, where many guests were waiting anxiously. The decorations looked fabulous and were on every wall. Aladdin noticed his closest friends were all seated at the head table, where he was headed at that very moment. Once he was seated, Genie was the first to approach him.

"Hey, Al! Lookin' good!" he yelled in a really hyper voice.

Aladdin smiled slightly, not really wanting attention drawn to himself. "Thanks, Genie," was all he managed to reply.

"Lookin' good?" asked Iago, trying not to laugh. "He looks about as comfortable as a cat in a dogyard!"

The parrot rolled on the table with laughter and was soon joined by Abu. Jasmine shook her head at their behavior and stated, "I think Aladdin is nervous enough without you guys making him feel worse."

"Aw, I didn't mean anything by it, Al," said Genie apologetically.

"I didn't mean you, Genie," replied Jasmine. "I meant them," she finished, motioning toward Iago and Abu, who were still trying to contain their laughter.

"Thank you, Jasmine," Aladdin said sincerely. "You always know just what to say."

Right as Aladdin finished his sentence, the sultan walked into the room. The whole room quieted down to hear what he had to say. "Good evening, fellow citizens!" he began. "As you all know, we are here to celebrate Aladdin's birthday. Thank you for all being here tonight..."

As the sultan made his announcement, a dark figure slid into the corner. Unnoticed by all the happy and excited people, he smiled evily to himself, saying, "Let's give Aladdin a party like he's never had."

The commotion had died down enough for Sultan to be heard by everyone in the large room, and once he had finished with, "So, let's all wish Aladdin a happy birthday," applause filled the room. Jasmine nudged Aladdin to stand up, but he wasn't thrilled with this amount of attention. He quickly stood up and looked around in amazement and shock at how many people filled the room. Once the clapping had died down, there was an awkward silence.

Aladdin turned and glanced at Jasmine, an expression of worry written all over his face. "What should I do?" he whispered.

"Say something," she prodded, whispering back.

Aladdin turned back to the crowd, "Uh, thanks for coming, everyone... Well, uh... Let's get started... I think the food is ready."

Smiles spread instantly across the faces in the crowd at the very mention of food. The banquet table had been set up right next to where Aladdin and his friends were seated. Aladdin led a line of people up to it, and while no one was paying any attention, Mozenrath, hidden in the crowd, reached for Aladdin's goblet on the table. He pulled a small sachal out of his clothes and poured its contents, a sparkly blue powder, into the cup. He immediately replaced the cup and shrunk back into the long line of people. Amidst the crowd, he managed to disappear into the shadows of the corner again and out into the night.

"We've done what we've come to do," he muttered to Xerxes. "Let's see how Aladdin likes his birthday present."

He lifted his cape over his head and brought it around his body, disappearing into thin air.

Back inside the ballroom, the party was advancing well. Aladdin and his friends had returned to their table by then. They enjoyed the delicious food that had been specially prepared for the occasion. After Aladdin actually had some food in his stomach, he began to feel more relaxed and more comfortable. He was, however, thirsty from the meal, so he reached for his goblet and took a sip. The liquid tasted quite sweet, sweeter than guava juice normally tasted.

"Hey, Genie, did you do something to my drink?" he asked curiously.

"Uh, nope, Al," replied Genie, somewhat confused. "Remember? Genies are allergic to guava juice. Ya won't catch me near that stuff."

"Oh, right," chuckled Aladdin. "We all remember what happened last time."

Aladdin returned to his meal, and after everyone had finished eating, the background magic started to become louder. "Let's dance, Aladdin," suggested Jasmine, reaching for his arm.

When Aladdin looked at her, though, his face was pale, and he looked ill. "I-I don't know if that's such a good idea, Jas," he replied. "You know I'd love to, but something isn't right. It must have been something I ate..."

"We all had the same thing. How come only you would be sick?"

"Yeah, are you okay, Al?" added Genie.

Aladdin's head was spinning. Questions, so many questions, Aladdin thought. He felt annoyed by their concern, but he stook his head, trying to clear his mind. No, that was silly. They were only asking because they cared.

"Just...give me five minutes," Aladdin finally replied.

"Okay," Jasmine tried to smile. "I really hope you'll be okay, Aladdin. This is your big night, and I would hate for you to miss it."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Aladdin questioned, almost feeling insulted.

"I just meant that...well, I hope you feel better."

"Yeah, better," Aladdin mumbled.

"Oh, Princess!" complained Iago, getting up in her face. "The kid will be fine. Would ya quit worryin' about him?"

"Easy for you to say!" Aladdin suddenly yelled at Iago. "Like you ever worry about anyone!"

There was clearly an accusational tone in Aladdin's voice, and Aladdin's friends were all somewhat taken aback. Iago didn't hesitate for long, however. "Oh, and what's that supposed to mean?" he shock back defensively.

Jasmine stepped in quickly, knowing that there was more to this than Aladdin not feeling well from the food. "Iago, don't start. Aladdin, what's wrong with you? Why are you acting this way?" There was definite concern in her voice, and when Aladdin heard the pleading tone in her words, the harsh expression on his face lessened.

"Jasmine?" he asked weakly. "What's happening to me?"

"I don't know," she replied, feeling helpless. "I'm going to tell Father to stop the celebration. You're in no condition to be at a party."

Aladdin didn't argue with her, but he sunk down into his chair, his head falling on the table like he hadn't slept in days. Jasmine rushed over to the sultan, and from a distance, the rest of Aladdin's friends could see Sultan as he nodded in understanding and prepared to make an announcement.

"It is with regret that I must tell you this," he began. "Aladdin is unwell, and unfortunately, the party must end now. We are all incredibly sorry for this."

Some of the people were disappointed, and others were worried, but whatever their feelings, Aladdin didn't care. The room slowly emptied, and Jasmine placed her arm around her love's body. "Let's get you to bed," she told him.

Aladdin just nodded weakly, but there was something very wrong about his face. Not only did he look sick, but he didn't even look like himself. Jasmine had seen him sick on a few occasions, but this was far worse that anything she had even seen. As they left the room, the last of the candles were blown out, leaving the place in darkness.