Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
The Price of Freedom by Sindie
[Reviews - 0] Printer

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: All the Aladdin characters are property of Disney and were used without permission, but as is the case in all my stories, I have used them with consideration and love. Anna and Troy are my creations, and you may not use them without my permission first. To better understand the background of Anna and Troy, I suggest you read Together Forever, the first story where they were introduced, and Generation to Generation, another story that had parts take place before this story does.

Completed between Oct. 2000 and Feb. 2001 by Sindie.


Sindie Presents An Original Aladdin Story:

The Price of Freedom

Chapter One: One Little Quarrel

The first rays of the sunrise casted themselves onto a young female figure as she slept deeply on her soft bed that morning. The sun was just beginning to peak above the horizon in the eastern sky, causing the sands of the desert of emit hues of red and orange. The desert sunrises had been beautiful as far back as the people who inhabited those areas of the world could remember. Everything always seemed to have a peaceful beginning in those lands, all due to the tranquility of the rising sun.

The young lady was quite a beauty. She always looked like an angel as she slept, her long, curly ebony hair cascading down over her shoulders, and her large, deep eyes closed in an almost delicate manner. Who would have guessed, though, that such peace could be interrupted by only one simple move of an older, although not more mature, brother.

A skinny, bony young man came bouncing into the room of the young lady that fine morning. He stopped just a few feet short of her bed and looked at his sister. A small, sly smile spread across his lips, and within a second, he attacked her in her sleep. With one quick leap, he was on the bed right at her feet.

The violent vibration caused by his act immediately caused the young lady to open her eyes. Her first reaction was a squeal of fright due to not knowing what had just occurred, but when she saw her brother sitting there, smiling evilly, she quickly reacted in anger.

"Troy!" she exclaimed. "How dare you! Are you trying to give me a heart attack?"

"Who, you, Anna?" Troy smirked. "Oh, no. Of course not. Wherever did you get a silly idea like that?"

"Gee," Anna began sarcastically, "I wonder...You know, you are getting too old to be acting so childish, Troy. You are fifteen years old, for Allah's sake. Act your age."

Troy pretended to be hurt by her words and put on an innocent face.

"Oh, Anna...You know I am still a kid at heart. You can't just expect me to act all proper and mature all of a sudden, can you?"

"Yes, I can," she stated firmly, "and I am asking you to act more grown up. You are the heir to the throne. At least show our father that you are capable of handling the responsibility one day."

"Maybe I will," he grinned. "Besides, I am Dad's favorite, after all."

"Oh, please," Anna muttered as Troy was standing up.

"Well, the talk has been nice, Anna, but I've got to get dressed for breakfast. Should I tell everyone to expect you, Lazy Sister?"

"Of course I'll be there. Why wouldn't I?"

"Well, more than half the time, you are still asleep. I don't think Mom and Dad appreciate it when you do that, when you miss a family meal."

"Mom and Dad have always given us the freedom to do what we've wanted to," explained Anna hastily. "Perhaps too much freedom in your case."

Troy didn't respond to Anna's last statement. Rather, he yawned and stretched as he walked out the doorway.

Anna sighed and glanced over at her reflection in the mirror in the corner of the room. She knew that she had to get dressed for the day and fix her hair, for the disturbance Troy had caused really messed her clothes and hair even more. She quickly changed into a red dress and brushed her hair out. Poor Anna's hair was particularily intolerable that day, for it was frizzing out in all directions.

"Stupid curls," she muttered as she pulled her hair back in a ponytail.

She exited her room and proceeded down the hallway until she came to the dining room. She was the last person to arrive, and for that reason, Troy smirked directly at her, causing her to groan and roll her eyes. She sat down next to her mother, Queen Jasmine, and looked absently at the plate of fruit.

"Aren't you going to excuse yourself for being late?" questioned Troy.

Anna blushed and played with her fork nervously. "Um, sorry about that," she mumbled.

"Oh, it's quite alright," smiled Jasmine. "We're just happy you could join us."

"So," began her father, Sultan Aladdin, "did you sleep well last night?"

"Yeah."

With that, the first meal of the day continued rather quietly. Everyone went their separate ways afterward, leaving Anna all alone at the table. Most of the fruit was still on her plate as one of the servants came to clear the table.

"Excuse me, Princess," the lady said respectfully, "but are you finished?"

Coming out of her daze, Anna quickly replied, "Oh, yes...Sorry about that. I'm done."

"Okay..." the lady said, looking strangely at the princess and wondering why she had a lack of an appetite.

The servant said nothing more about Anna's strange behavior and continued to clear the table. In time, all the plates were removed, leaving Anna looking extremely out of place in the room. Her gaze turned to the window, and she noticed that it was already mid-morning. Her lessons would be starting shortly, so she stood up and returned briefly to her chambers to find her books and notes.

After doing so, she went to the library, where Troy and the tutor were waiting.

"Late again, I see," the tutor said dryly.

Anna tried to smile as she sat down, but Troy grinned at the tutor's remark. Anna ignored her brother's reaction and opened her book to the chapter they would be reviewing that day.

"Princess Anna," the tutor began, "would you kindly review the significance of the War of Jabaar?"

"Um, of course...The War of Jabaar was fought one hundred years ago between the kingdoms of...um..."

"Continue, please."

"The War of Jabaar," interrupted Troy, "was not fought between any kingdoms. It was a civil war within the kingdom of Jabaar because the sultan Amwar was strongely opposed by the leader of the Reformist party, Hamir."

"That is correct, Troy," the older man stated. "If you were to review yesterday's notes, Anna, perhaps you would know that."

By this point in time, Anna was becoming frustrated. Her response was rude and uncalled for when she blurted out, "So, why do we have to know this stuff anyway? Maybe if you were a better teacher, we would learn our lessons better!"

"I hardly think I am to blame here," the tutor defended. "If that were the case, which it is obviously not, neither one of you would learn your lessons, but it is evident that you, Princess Anna, are the one who is learning nothing here. Your brother does a fine job at learning his lessons."

That last comment pushed Anna over the edge. "It's always about him, isn't it? He does everything better than me, doesn't he? Just because he is the heir to the throne and the first born, he gets all the recognition around here!"

Anna stormed out of the library and directly to her chambers. She landed on her bed with a heavy thud and cried furiously. A short while later, a knock came from the door.

"Go away, Troy," she said in between tears. "I don't want to hear it."

The door opened anyway, and she turned to the doorway to yell at her brother, but she noticed it was not him at all. Her father and mother stood just a few feet away from the bed.

"What's going on, Anna?" asked Jasmine. "Your tutor just informed us of your behavior in the library during your lessons. That is so unlike you to just explode like that."

"We noticed that you were acting strangely at breakfast," said Aladdin. "Is something wrong?"

"It's more like someone than something," muttered Anna. "Troy."

"Your brother?" asked Jasmine.

"Yes, him...He is so irresponsible, and yet he gets all the attention around here."

"Now you know that's not true," said Aladdin. "We love both of you."

"It's not that...It's just that he thinks he can get away with anything. He disturbs me in my sleep, gloats at me when he does better on a test, and is always giving me these goofy grins. It drives me crazy. He doesn't take anything seriously around here. He does nothing to help out, and yet he is supposed to one day rule Agrabah?"

"Troy is still a kid at heart," began Aladdin. "You know that your mother and I have always given you both the freedom that we never had. In time, he will grow up and realize his position as future sultan, but until then, let him enjoy his last few years as a kid."

"And just when is he going to grow up?" inquired Anna. "Because I'm tired of waiting."

"I don't know when exactly, but don't be sour toward your brother for being a kid at heart. Sometimes, Anna, you try too hard to act all grown up for your age. You're only fourteen. Enjoy your youth."

With that last statement, Aladdin stood up and exited the room. Jasmine kissed her daughter's head gently and followed, leaving Anna to sort through all her thoughts.

* * * * * * * * * *

Later that day, Anna was walking through the west wing when she came across a spot where Carpet was laying in the sun on the floor. She smiled at the view, wondering how a carpet could feel the sun's warmth. Since Carpet seemed to be "asleep," Anna tapped him on one of his tassels, "waking him up."

"Hi, Carpet," Anna whispered. "What do you say we go for a little ride?"

Carpet moved the upper half of himself, as if he were nodding, and positioned himself, so Anna could sit on him. Just as they were about to leave through the window, a voice stopped them.

"Hey, Anna. Where are you going?"

"Oh!" she exclaimed, startled to hear someone behind her. "Um..."

She turned around and noticed that it was only Iago standing there.

"Oh, Iago," she said in somewhat of a relief, "you scared me."

"Sorry, but what are you up to, Anna?"

"I'm just getting out of the palace for a little while. I can't stand to be couped up in here like this."

"Heh, you sound like your mom when she was around your age," he joked.

"Very funny," Anna mumbled. "Can you please do me a favor, though, and don't tell anyone that I left?"

"You mean, you didn't tell your parents?" Iago asked. "Anna, what's up? Why are you acting like this?"

"Please, Iago, I'm begging you. Don't tell them. I just need some time alone."

"I don't think it's a good idea for you to go out alone, Anna. If you just leave without telling your parents first, then I'm gonna tell them for you. Otherwise, I'm coming with you."

Anna sighed and realized that she had no choice. It was either this or risking her parents finding out that she left without telling them.

"Fine," she replied. "You can come."

Carpet flew high above the city and out into the desert, and it wasn't until they were away from Agrabah when Anna finally spoke.

"The reason I left is because of Troy. It seems no one else ever notices it, but I sure do. He constantly upsets me with the way he acts."

"Are you talking about what happened today?"

"Oh, great. You know, too? Well, no, it's not just today. It's been my whole life, Iago. He always is the important child of the palace, being the first born and the heir to the throne. I just take up space."

"What are you talking about? Do you have any idea how lucky you are? I mean, come on...You live in a palace. You have wealth and power, and yet, you are sitting here complaining to me like this? Why don't you just stop like nonsense and move on?"

Iago's tone was turning rude, and Anna despised it when he did that. She didn't know what else to say in her defense, so she just mumbled, "It's obvious that you don't understand either. No one does."

A lonesome tear managed to escape from her eye as she looked down at her hands on her lap. Realizing just how upsetting this was for her, Iago softed up a bit.

"Look, Anna, I'm sorry...but I just don't think I'm the best one you should be talking about these kinds of things to. About what you've said, you know those things aren't true."

"Yes, they are," Anna frowned. "Tell me, did your siblings ever treat you like this?"

"Um, I really don't remember," Iago blurted. "It was a long time ago."

"Oh, well, what does it matter? One thing is for sure. My parents must love Troy more than they love me. They have to..."

"You know better than that, Anna. Your parents are loving people. They never had what you have...two parents who were there for them their entire lives. You don't know how lucky you are."

"Maybe..."

"Carpet," began Iago, "take us back to the palace. Anna has to talk to Troy."

"What?!" exclaimed Anna. "No, I can't! I refuse to!"

"Anna, as long as you continue to act so stubborn, none of these feelings are going to change. If you tell Troy what's bothering you, I'm sure he will understand, and you can resolve this little problem."

Anna didn't reply. She hated being told what to do, what her actions were going to be. She pouted as Carpet turned and headed back toward Agrabah. The sun was nearly setting by this time, and Anna dreaded the thought of facing her entire family at dinner that night. She sighed heavily and looked down at her lap, ignoring the presence of her friends, and only wallowing in her self-pity.

Chapter Two: One Thing Leads to Another

Family dinner, quality time to talk about the day, Anna thought. Ha! Well, I don't want to talk about my day. All they will do is tell me how mislead I am and how my view of the world is twisted...or something stupid like that. They treat me like I'm some kind of child. Well, excuse me, but I'm not the one who acts so immature around here. If it weren't for Troy...

"Are you coming?" Anna heard someone ask from the hallway, interrupting her thoughts.

"Oh, to dinner?" she asked dumbly. "Yes, of course. Just give me a minute."

"I haven't seen you much today," said Cassim, her grandfather, as he walked into the room.

"Oh, hi, Grandpa," Anna tried to smile. "I've just been busy. You know, lessons and studying and all..."

"I see," the older man smiled wisely. "And I don't suppose you did anything else today?"

"Well..."

"Go ahead, you can tell me."

"Ugh!" she yelled, losing her temper finally. "It's Troy that's bothering me, okay? I just can't take it anymore!"

"Whoa, calm down, girl," Cassim replied hastily. "Where did that come from?"

"It came from all these bottled up feelings inside me. Yes, I've been trying to hide them for a while, but they just don't disappear."

"Would you like to talk?"

"About what? Grandpa, that's nothing worth talking about. I just wish he would go away forever and not come back."

Cassim was a bit alarmed at Anna's last statement. "Oh, surely you don't mean that, child."

"But I do!" she exclaimed. "I mean every word of it."

Anna had a very serious expression on her face at that moment, and Cassim could tell that she was indeed meaning what she said.

"Be careful what you wish for, child. It may one day come true."

"Not soon enough," muttered Anna. "And I'm not a child."

Cassim shook his head, giving up on Anna, and he left the room, saying, "I'll see you at dinner."

* * * * * * * * * *

Later that night after dinner, Anna was sitting out in the menagerie all by herself, reflecting on what had happened that day between Troy and herself, between her and her friends and family. She sighed absently as she looked at the stone walls that locked her inside the garden. The stars were shining all across the desert sky, each one softly glowing its sparkling light. The palm trees and flowers in the menagerie slowly swayed with the gently blowing breeze, and for the first time that day, Anna managed to truly smile.

"Is that a smile I see?" asked a voice from her left.

The voice startled her, but she immediately saw Troy come sit down beside her.

"The stars are wondrous, aren't they?" he asked. "I love looking at them, don't you?"

"Yeah, they are beautiful..." Anna caught herself saying. "But wait, what do you want, Troy?"

"Nothing in particular," he replied. "Just to tease you."

"Oh, really?" Anna said in an annoyed manner, immediately standing up to leave.

Before she could go, Troy grabbed her by the hand and stopped her. "Wait," he said.

"For what? For you to say some nasty remark to me? Troy, I'm sick and tired of playing these childish games with you. My whole life that's all you've ever done to me."

"Please, just listen to me. Anna, I was just kidding. I meant no harm by it or by anything I've ever done to you. Why don't you just accept the fact that you, too, are still young? Don't try to grow up too fast."

"You sound like Mom and Dad," she muttered. "But Troy, sometimes those things you do and say to me really do upset me, and when I tell you to stop, you don't take me seriously."

"I'm taking you seriously now. Besides, I've never caused you any real harm."

"Oh, is that so?" Anna almost spat. "Well, I seem to recall a time many years ago when you just had to insist on going down in the dungeon, and then we got kidnapped by that Mozy guy! Or how about the time when you were playing around in the kitchen and caught the stove on fire? Don't you think after causing danger like that that you would have learned to stop by now?"

"It was never my intention to hurt anyone," Troy said, looking down at the ground. "I just wish you could see that."

"Well, until you give me reason otherwise, I won't see that. You, Troy, are nothing but a trouble-maker."

"If there was one thing I could do to make it up to you," he began in a very sincere tone, "what would it be?"

Anna just stared long and hard at her brother, trying to accept that he really was trying to be sincere and truthful in his offer. After a long pause, she said, "Take me out of this palace, and show me something out there in that world that you think is beautiful...something I would find just as beautiful, and...then maybe, just maybe, I will believe that we can share something."

"Very well," Troy replied. "Good night, Sister."

Anna didn't reply, and she only sat outside for a few more minutes until her sleepiness overtook her body. She eventually made her way up to her chambers.

She removed her daytime clothing and tossed them into a basket in the closet. After putting on her nightgown, she took down her hair from the ponytail and removed her crown. Finally, she snuggled up in her cozy bed and fell into a deep sleep.

* * * * * * * * * *

The next morning, Anna was able to sleep in until she pleased without being interrupted by her brother or by the fact that she would have to sit through yet another boring session with her tutor. It was a Saturday, and when she woke up, it was late morning. She stretched and looked out the window at the nice and sunny day. Remembering that Troy had promised her that he would show her something beautiful that day, she quickly rushed out of her room and down the hallway until she came to his chambers. The door was open all the way, and she could see her brother sleeping on the messy bed like a little kid. His room was some sight to see, for clothes and papers were thrown all about, as if a tornado had passed through.

Before Anna could say anything, Troy woke up and immediately sat up in bed.

"Oh, good morning, Anna!" he exclaimed, smiling from ear to ear.

"Good morning, Troy," she replied, a little startled at his sudden energy.

"Don't think that I've forgotten about our little trip today. I already talked to Dad last night after I left the menagerie, and I've got everything ready. All we need to do now is get dressed."

"Um, okay," Anna hesitated, "but what should I wear?"

"Don't dress all glamorous, Sis. This place isn't exactly the type of place that I would consider dressing up for. Just dress down some today."

"I'll see what I can find."

Anna left the room, wondering just what kind of trip her brother had planned. She hoped it wasn't something dangerous. She returned to her room and looked through her wardrobe of dresses and gowns.

"Oh, I have nothing for this trip," she groaned. "But wait..."

She suddenly remembered a drawer full of clothes that she used to wear outside a couple of years ago. She had tucked them away, thinking that she was putting her childhood days behind, but this was one exception. She opened the drawer and looked at the drawer full of brown and tan clothes, all stained with grass and dirt, and she laughed silently, remembering the days when she used to wear those types of clothes.

"I can't believe that I'm actually wearing these old, raggedy things," she giggled, holding one of the outfit up in front of her in the mirror. "I wonder if it'll still fit..."

Anna removed her nightgown and slipped into the outfit. It still fit, believe it or not, but the sleeves and pants were a bit short. The top was tight in her chest area, but she knew that she had grown a bit taller and blossomed since she was eleven or twelve. She brushed her hair and braided it all the way down her back. When she decided she was finally ready, she took one last look at herself in the mirror.

"I can't believe I'm doing this," she said softly. "I look so...so weird. I just hope Troy knows what he's doing."

Anna left her chambers and proceeded to the throneroom, where her parents and Troy were waiting for her.

"Look at you, Anna!" laughed Troy. "I never imagined I'd ever see you in that outfit again!"

"Well, don't get used to it," Anna replied.

"I think you look adorable," smiled Jasmine. "Anna, I'm so happy to know that you still have the kid in you."

"Mom..."

"You two have fun," said Aladdin, "but try to be back for dinner, okay?"

"We will, Dad," replied Troy. "Don't worry, Mom, I'll take good care of her!"

Troy grabbed his sister by the hand the led her through the front doors and down the main stairway. At the bottom, she noticed two horses that were mounted and ready to go, with supplies, and a stable keeper holding the horses by the reins.

"Thanks, Waadir," said Troy, taking the reins from the man. "I'll take it from here."

The man left with a bow, and Troy turned to Anna.

"Here you go," he smiled, handing her the reins to one of the horses. "Get on and let's go."

"Where are we going?" Anna asked.

"It's a surprise," he smirked.

"Oh, great," she groaned. "I can't wait.

Anna and Troy mounted the horses and rode off to the main city street. The merchants looked at the prince and princess as they crossed through the town, thinking how amusing it was to see them dressed like ordinary people. Troy led Anna past the city gate and out into the desert, where they rode west for the remainder of the journey. The sun was beating down mercilessly upon the two travelers, and Anna was beginning to feel dehydrated and dizzy. She grabbed the water that was being kept in her sack on the saddle and drank it feverishly. Troy didn't notice his sister's actions, but he kept his eyes focused soley on the western sky. The sun seemed to be leading them their way, and just when Anna thought she couldn't take the heat any longer, a small bunch of palm trees appeared in the distance. She thought it had to be a mirage, but as they neared the palm trees, they became larger, and she noticed that the palm trees were surrounded a rather large pool.

"We're almost there," Troy spoke finally.

When they arrived at their final destination, they dismounted their horses and looked around.

"An oasis?" Anna asked.

"Yep," smiled Troy. "Now tell me the journey was worth it."

"It was worth it," said Anna in awe, looking at the astounding beauty of the place. "How did you know about this place?"

"It's, well, it was one of my secrets. I come here from time to time just to get away from the palace and the noise. So, what do you think?"

"It's--" Anna couldn't finish her sentence. "Troy, I had no idea."

"There's a lot to me that you don't know," he said. "This is my favorite place."

"I didn't know you appreciate the beauty of nature like this," Anna reflected, completely at a loss for better words. "This is the most beautiful place I've ever seen."

"I told you that I would show you something beautiful," Troy smiled. "Now that I've kept my promise to you, what do you have to say?"

"It's beautiful," was all she could say.

"You know what I love doing?" he asked and continued before she could answer. "I love riding Dondilon, my horse, through the groves of trees. It's unlike anything you've ever tried."

"Sounds like fun," Anna admitted. "I guess Grandpa's horseback riding lessons did pay off after all, huh?"

"Yeah," he blushed, remembering how clumbsy he used to be at riding horses when he was a kid.

"Can I try?" she asked.

"Of course, but you've got to ride Dondilon. She goes the fastest of any horse ever!"

Anna mounted Dondilon and started to ride her among the trees. She giggled as the horse playfully skipped through the grove.

"Faster, Dondilon! Faster!" Troy shouted to the horse. "Show her what you can really do!"

Without Anna's control, the horse picked up pace quite a bit. Anna held on to the reins tightly, afraid to let go.

"Troy!" Anna called. "Please make her slow down! I'm not used to going this fast!"

"Oh, come on, Anna!" he laughed. "Where's your sense of fun and adventure?! Go, Dondilon! Give her a ride to remember!"

"Troy, stop it!"

Dondilon was running as fast as she could by now. Anna had lost complete control over the horse, and just as Dondilon was turning around a tree, Anna lost hold of the reins and went falling to the ground. The horse kept running, and Troy immediately ran to his sister's side.

"Oh, Allah!" he panicked. "What have I done?! Anna, wake up! Please!"

He shook his sister, but she was knocked unconscious from the fall. His face froze in worry and fright as he shook her body again.

"Please, Anna!" he pleaded, almost in tears. "Oh, Allah, please let her be okay! I never meant for this to happen..."

When he noticed that Dondilon was nowhere in sight, he tried calling the horse desparately to no avail. He had lost his horse, and his sister was knocked out...all because of his foolishness. With nothing else to do, Troy picked up his sister's motionless body and took her to the other horse. He mounted the horse and carried Anna back to Agrabah. During the trip back home, Troy kept prayering for his sister to wake up and for her to be able to forgive him for what he did. As Agrabah appeared in the distance, he prayed that his parents would understand that this was only a mistake. Something told Troy, though, that the consequences for endangering his sister's life would be more than he expected.

Chapter Three: Facing the Consequences

Troy raced home toward Agrabah on the horse, Anna resting against his front. Her eyes never once opened or even twitched. It was extremely difficult for Troy to ride with his sister's body leaning against his like this, for the reins were hard to control, and he kept having to keep one arm on Anna to prevent her from falling off. He was right at the gates of Agrabah when he slowed down his pace some, so the guards could see who was coming through.

"My prince," they said in unison and bowed.

"Please open the gates," Troy responded hastily. "I haven't any time."

The one guard noticed that Princess Anna was leaning against Troy's chest and that she seemed knocked out, and he looked curiously at Troy. "Is the princess okay?" he asked.

"Yes," Troy lied, "she's fine. Just tired. I need to get her home. Now if you'll kindly open the gates!" he yelled, losing his patience.

"Yes, my prince. Right away. My apologies..."

The guards opened the gates immediately following Troy's demand, and even as the prince passed through into the main street, they all looked at him strangely. Troy tried his best to ignore the citizens as he rode past. He wanted to race through the crowd, so he didn't have to hear their muttering and see their strange facial expressions, but he knew he couldn't disturb the peace of the marketplace with a running horse.

All he could do was keep his eyes focused on the palace, and when he reached the palace gates, he groaned again, knowing he would have to address yet another group of guards. This time, it wasn't as long of a delay. They allowed Troy assess to the palace right away, and no sooner had the gates closed when Troy was already dismounting the horse and carrying his sister up the main steps to the throneroom.

As soon as he entered the throneroom, he knew the atmosphere was not good. He had walked in right in the middle of a meeting with diplomats and advisors. Aladdin was speaking at the front of the table where everyone was seated when he noticed Troy walking into the room.

"As you can see--" he was saying and then stopped. "Troy?"

"Yes, Father."

Aladdin stood up from the table and muttered, "Excuse me for a second," and he walked quickly to his son. Aladdin immediately noticed that Anna was knocked out and in Troy's arms.

"Why happened to her?" Aladdin said in a very concerned tone. "Troy, please tell me she's alright."

"I wish I could, Dad," muttered Troy, looking at the floor, "but that is not the case. Can we please go somewhere else?"

"Yes, of course. Just give me a moment."

Aladdin rushed back to the meeting table and told everyone that he didn't know how long he would be away, but he had some serious family issues to take care of first. Aladdin helped Troy hold Anna's body up and led them to a small room off the throneroom.

"She's breathing okay," said Aladdin, placing his hand on her chest. "How did this happen?"

"It was me, Dad. It was all my fault."

"What do you mean, Troy?" Aladdin asked with worry in his eyes. "What did you do?"

"I'm so sorry, Dad!" Troy exclaimed, almost bursting into tears. "I never meant for this to happen!"

"Okay, okay, calm down, son. Let me get her settled in her bed before anything more, and then we'll talk about this, okay?"

All Troy could do in response was nod. Aladdin sent for some servants to take Anna to her room, and he asked that they keep their eyes on her and let him know of any important news. He also sent for Jasmine to be brought to the room he was in, where he would have a long and serious talk with Troy.

When Jasmine entered the small room, she sat down next to her son and tried to smile as she placed her hand on his. Troy didn't look up once. Jasmine turned from her son to her husband to see Aladdin leaning on a desk with his weight on his hands. Aladdin was facing away from the other two in the room, trying to think of where to begin. Finally after a long period of silence, he turned around to face them.

"Okay," he said softly, breathing heavily. "Tell me how this all started."

"We went to the oasis just like I had planned," began Troy, barely audible. "She really loved that place. Well, we rode two horses there, and we only returned with one. I told her how much I loved to ride Dondilon through the groves of trees there, and she was so anxious to try it, Dad. You should have seen her face, but anyway, she started riding Dondilon just as I loved to...through the groves. I was standing there, though, telling Dondilon to go faster and faster, and of course, she listened to me. Even when Anna asked me to stop, I kept ragging Dondilon to go on, and then...and then..."

Troy found himself remembering the horrible image of his helpless sister falling off the horse and hitting the ground. He buried his face in his hands, nervously breathing and shuttering in front of his parents.

Jasmine tried to comfort him by placing her hand on his back, but he pulled away and started to cry.

"Then what?" demanded Aladdin, almost sounding impatient and angry.

"Then Dondilon...she went around one last tree...and that's when she fell. It was horrible, Dad...She just fell to the ground with such a bang. And she was just out cold after that. I tried to awaken her, but it was no use. She was gone."

Aladdin tried his best to remain calm, but he knew that his daughter was injured that day because of the foolishness of his son. A million different thoughts were going through his mind as he tried to think of what to say next. A part of him wanted to yell at his son for being so foolish as to let this happen to his daughter, and another part of him wanted to know if Troy would be okay. He wanted to comfort this little, scared boy that he saw in front of him, and yet he was so ashamed that his son had done something like this.

"I wish I knew where to begin," Aladdin whispered. "Troy, where did all this go wrong? Please help me try to understand how your good intentions of showing your sister this great place were completely shattered into you letting your foolishness get the worst of you...and hurting her. I know it wasn't your intention to harm your sister, Troy, but you should have used better judgment than you did. I feel like I have somehow failed as being your father. Where did I do wrong, Troy, in raising you? Please tell me," Aladdin choked on tears, sinking into a sitting position on a chair.

"I--" Troy shuttered. "I'm sorry, Dad. I wish I knew what to say. You did nothing wrong. It's all my fault...I just wish I could somehow go back and make things so this never happened."

More or less ignoring what Troy was saying, Aladdin continued, "I tried to give you everything I never had. I wanted my children to have the freedom to be individuals and to be able to choose for themselves, but I also hoped that they would be responsible and mature enough to make the right decisions. I always encouraged you to be who you felt you were to the world, Troy. I never once asked you to hide your true self from anyone, and yet, I hate to think that I would have to ask you to do so now. Troy, this is what all this comes down to...You are not a little boy anymore. You are becoming a young man, and you have to realize what that means."

"I know what that means," interrupted Troy. "It's just that I'm afraid to be something more than what I am."

"And what do you think you are?" asked Aladdin.

"I think I'm a trouble-maker, a screw-up, just a big joke to everyone in this palace. I just joke around because it's easier to live knowing that at least I can still joke, even though I know I am the cause of more problems than the solution."

"You are not a mistake, Troy, if that's what you're thinking," said Aladdin sincerely. "I'm not trying to be angry with you, but you have to understand that Anna is my child, too. My duty as your father sometimes outweighs my duty as your friend. You have to understand that."

"I don't know what to understand anymore," replied Troy hopelessly. "What am I supposed to do now?"

"I think it would be best if you just stay in your chambers for a while," began Aladdin, "so your mother and I can talk about this more."

"Yes, Dad," Troy muttered, standing up and walking out of the room before anything more could be said.

"So, what are we going to do?" asked Jasmine. "I went in and saw Anna just before I came in here. It hurt me so much to know that my child was hurt, and there was nothing I could do about it."

"I know," said Aladdin with a frown. "I don't want to explode at Troy and cause him even more pain. I know he never meant for this to happen..."

"But it did happen, Aladdin," insisted Jasmine. "That's the sad reality of it."

"I know, I know...I just...I don't know, Jasmine. I guess I just wish I could brush this away like everything else Troy has done, but this is a really serious issue. What if Anna were killed out there? I hate to say this, Jasmine, but I think he needs to be thought a lesson."

"What are you saying, Aladdin?" inquired Jasmine, not sure she liked where her husband's conversation was going. "We can't just keep him locked up in his room."

"I don't know what I'm saying. I don't know what to think. He should have known better, though! He was trained how to ride horses from a very young age, and he knew darn well that Anna had less experience in that area. Where was his head when he let Anna get on that horse? He should have been responsible enough to look out for her well-being."

Aladdin folded his arms in a menacing position and turned away from Jasmine. He looked out the window at the city and started to speak again, "He doesn't know how lucky he is, Jasmine. He takes for granted all he's ever been given. If he had lived the life I did on the streets, then maybe he would appreciate how fortunate he is to have what he does. I hate to think about it..."

Aladdin's voice trailed off as he remembered his childhood. All the times he had to steal food just to survive and all the times he had escaped from the guards passed through his mind. He hated to think about those memories, about all the nights he had spent alone on the streets in some dark alley somewhere, forgotten and all by himself. He had no one when he was a child, and he just couldn't bring himself to understand Troy's attitude toward life.

"I still remember being his age," he whispered. "Jasmine, you are the only person who knows what I went through. Not even my own father can understand. My kids don't know all those memories. I just wish I could make him see..."

"Make him see what you see?" asked Jasmine, placing her arms tenderly around her husband.

Aladdin looked at Jasmine right in the eyes and sighed. "I guess I am trying to force Troy in my mind into being someone who he isn't...and that makes me so upset, Jasmine. I would never wish it upon anyone to live the kind of life I did, especially my own kids."

"Of course you wouldn't," replied Jasmine lovingly. "Aladdin, I've said it many times before, and I'll say it again: You are an amazing person, Aladdin."

Before Aladdin could reply, a knock was heard at the door. Aladdin walked to it and opened it to see a servant standing there.

"Sultan," she began, "I've come to inform you that your daughter has awakened."

"Thank you," replied Aladdin. "I'll be there shortly."

He motioned for Jasmine to join him by his side, and once she did, they left the room and went to Anna's chambers. Once they entered the room, they noticed that Anna was sitting up in bed with her eyes opened. She seemed fairly alert.

"Mom, Dad," she whispered.

Jasmine hugged her daughter and sat down next to her on the bed. Aladdin sat down beside the bed on a chair and touched Anna's hand lovingly.

"Anna, how are you feeling?" Aladdin asked softly.

"I feel really dizzy. My head is just pounding," she winced, touching her forehead. "I have a horrible headache."

"I'm sorry to hear that, dear," began Jasmine. "But you are going to be okay?"

"Yes, Mom, I'll be fine," Anna tried to smile. "I just can't remember how I got here. What happened?"

"You mean, you don't remember?" asked Aladdin.

Anna thought for a moment and searched her mind for her last memory before she blacked out.

"I was riding Dondilon through the groves in an oasis, and I lost control...The last thing I remember is falling...and then...nothing. I remember telling Troy to make the horse stop, but he kept telling her to go faster, and that's when I lost control."

Anna's face turned into one of anger when she remembered that it was her brother who brought her to that oasis, who suggested she ride the horse through the groves, and most of all, who kept egging the horse on to go faster after she had asked him to stop.

"So, Troy is the reason for this headache!" she yelled. "Oooowwww!"

"Calm down, Anna," pleaded Jasmine. "You mustn't over-react. Try to relax and get some rest."

"But Mom, I can't."

"Listen to her," Aladdin begged. "Please, Anna, this is a very tense situation for all of us, but the last thing any of us needs is for you to go storming into Troy's room and start yelling at him. He feels terrible about what happened."

"Well, good," Anna pouted. "He deserves it. It serves him right for what he did to me."

"Listen," began Aladdin, "there is a lot to talk about, but you need to calm down and get your rest. We'll talk about this more later, okay?"

"Sure, whatever," muttered Anna as her parents walked out of the room.

* * * * * * * * * *

Later that evening before dinner, Aladdin and Jasmine were in their chambers talking. Nightfall had come already, and despite what had happened earlier that day, the palace had remained fairly calm.

"Are you still upset about what happened?" asked Jasmine.

"Yes," sighed Aladdin, "how could I not be? I wish there was another way...but I don't know if there is. Jasmine, I think it's time that Troy learn to grow up."

"I guess you are right," replied Jasmine sadly. "I can't believe this is what it came down to...that our own son would have to be forced into growing up, and he still seems so young, no more than a child."

"I know," laughed Aladdin lightly. "I still look at them as little kids, and a part of them will always be that in my eyes, but we both have to realize that they are growing up. Well, at least physically...I think it would be best to just keep them away from each other for a while. I know that Troy's foolishness led to Anna's getting hurt, but she needs to calm down and learn to forgive her brother. I'm going to see how things go at dinner tonight."

"Yes, I guess we'll just have to wait now."

Dinner time came soon, and when the royal couple entered the dining room, they noticed that Anna and Troy were both already there, although they were seated as far away from each other as possible. The others present knew that something was going on between the royal family, and they decided it was best not to intervene on those problems. Aladdin and Jasmine took their seats and tried their best to act as if nothing had happened. They tried to smile and greet everyone, but the whole time, Anna and Troy remained in silence, looking at the plates of food absently. The whole meal passed that way, and Anna was the first to excuse herself from the table. After muttering something, she stood up and walked out of the dining room without looking back. Even after everyone else was done eating, Troy still sat there, though, leaving just his parents with him.

"Troy?" questioned Jasmine softly. "Dear, are you okay?"

He continued to look down.

"Troy?" she asked again, a bit more concerned. "Please, talk to me."

"What is it, Mom?" he responded barely above a whisper.

"I just wanted to know how you are doing."

"How does it look like I'm doing?" he snapped, withdrawing some from the table, moving the chair back and pouting in it.

Jasmine gasped at her son's reaction, totally not expecting it. She looked at Aladdin, almost in tears, hurt that her own son had acted that way to her. Aladdin was shocked as well, but when he saw the look of hurt on his wife's face, anger aroused itself inside him. He stood up and approached Troy.

"Would you like to tell me what that was for?" he barked. "You should be ashamed of yourself, young man! You never, ever talk to your mother that way, is that clear?"

Troy was completely startled by his father's words. He had never heard his voice so serious and so angry. He looked at his dad and felt intimidated and tried to move the chair away. Before Troy could move, though, Aladdin placed his hand around the arm of the chair and held it tightly in his grip.

"You're not going anywhere," he said firmly. "You are staying right here until you apologize for what you said to your mother."

"I'm sorry," Troy managed to mutter, not even sounding sincere or looking at his mom.

"I don't think she could hear that," Aladdin replied, losing his patience. "Say it, so she can hear you, and say it like you mean it."

"I'm sorry!" Troy yelled, standing up.

By this point in time, Jasmine was crying, and Aladdin was even more upset at his son.

"Sit down!" Aladdin shouted. "You are not leaving this room until we get a few things straight."

Troy obeyed his dad without question, and Aladdin continued, "I tried to be fair and reasonable before. I knew you were confused and hurting as well from this whole thing, and I just wanted to give you time to think about it. I was planning on sitting down with you tonight and merely having a good heart-to-heart conversation about where you are headed in your life. I thought you were at least grown up enough to be reasonable, but that is not the case. After the way you've treated your mother this evening with such disrespect, I'm not going to just talk to you. It's time you learned to be a man, Troy, and from this day forward, you are going to be training to be the future sultan. There will be no more lessons from your tutor. You will be sitting in on these meetings with me, and you will be going on trips with me to foreign places. You will be expected to act diplomatic and mature, and only after you've experienced what I go through day to day will you truly be grown up."

Troy looked at his father in complete disbelief, not able to believe that his own loving father was saying such stern things to him. He broke into tears like a little boy and went running out of the dining room before Aladdin could say anything. Aladdin was shocked and looked at Jasmine, who had stopped crying by this time.

"Jasmine," he whispered, his voice trembling, "what have I done?"

* * * * * * * * * *

That night in bed, Aladdin was lying there, just staring at the ceiling with an absent expression on his face. He didn't know what to think anymore. He had yelled at his son for the first time ever. What came across me? he kept asking himself. I've never done anything like that before. He wanted to find an easy solution to the problem and just tell Troy what he had to do, but he knew that wasn't the way he believed in raising his children. Above all, Aladdin always put love before anything. He justed didn't understand why Troy had yelled at Jasmine the way he did, and that is what made Aladdin mad now, not just the fact that Troy had hurt Anna, but also the fact that in another way, Troy had went and caused harm to his own mother.

Jasmine walked into the room in her nightgown and frowned when she saw her husband lying on the bed with such a look of desparation and emptiness on his face. Only a dim light from a lantern illuminated the room, and the moonlight shone in through the partly opened curtains from the balcony. Jasmine could see the emptiness in Aladdin's eyes from the moonlight that was casing itself on his face. She sighed heavily and came to her beloved's side. As soon as she lied down on the bed, she put her arms in a loving embrace around Aladdin and held him close.

"I love you," she whispered into his ear.

A small smile escaped from Aladdin's sadness, anger, and confusion onto his face as he turned to face his wife.

"And I love you," he replied. "That is why I got so upset earlier...To see anyone hurt you, Jasmine, I don't know...It just hurts me, too. And what hurt more than anything is to know that it was our own son that caused all that pain."

"I know, Aladdin, and I understand, but...I don't know...He is our son, and we have to take responsibility for his actions. He follows whatever actions we do, and if we are unfair to him, he will just continue to be unfair to us."

"You're right, but I don't think I ever gave him any reason to yell at you like that...until I lost my temper in front of him today. It's just that he had never in his life mistreated anyone. He was always given the freedom to be who he wanted to be, and Troy is a good person...He's just mislead right now."

"Maybe you gave him too much freedom," suggested Jasmine. "Maybe we've both been too lenient at times."

"Perhaps...but he does have to start taking on more responsibility around here. He is the future sultan, and he has to start realizing just how serious that really is."

"Yes, but remember something, Aladdin, when you were his age, you weren't ready to settle down and realize and submit to all that responsibility. You had all those adventures for a few years there before we got married. He still is a kid in many ways, as were you once."

"I guess I just forget sometimes what it's like to be that young again. Well, it's getting late, and there's a lot of work tomorrow. We'll just have to see where things go from here. Good night, my darling."

"Good night, my love."

They kissed one last time and closed their eyes, falling into a deep and comforting sleep together.

* * * * * * * * * *

Anna leaned against the railing on her balcony and stared at the sky full of stars. She looked at the moon and wondered about everything that had happened that day, looking for a reason to find forgiveness.

"The stars and moon are so beautiful," she quietly reflected to herself, "but they are also so mysterious. There they are all the way up there, just gleaming their wonders at me, and the more I look at them, the more I feel jealous that I can't reach them. I feel so distant from ever finding out their mysteries, and so I feel shut off from their world...and that leaves me all alone in my little place of thoughts and memories. So, all I have are my thoughts and memories...nothing else. I'll just keep them to myself and not share them with all those who, just like those stars and the moon, seem right there in front of me, but in actuality, they are so far, far away. So, this is my life. Forgiveness is something to be shared, but my world doesn't permit me to share anything with those who distance themselves from me."

A tear streamed down her left cheek. She just let it fall. It rolled off her cheek and fell past the railing and straight into the gardens far below. There among the dirt, that one tear fell, but that one little tear alone would never be enough to water a seed and grow a new garden.

Chapter Four: Facing the New Day

A small smile appeared on Aladdin's face as he stood by the door to Anna's room. He watched his little girl sleep peacefully on her bed that morning, finding it hard to believe that she had grown up so fast. He wanted so badly to understand what was going on in her mind, what she was thinking about in her dreams. He knew she had been hiding a lot of things from him, but the last thing he wanted to do was force anything out of her.

"I'll just let her sleep," he said softly to himself. "Allah knows she needs the rest."

He turned from the doorway and walked toward Troy's room. He opened the door just wide enough for him to peak in, and there he saw his son sleeping like he had been tossing and turning all night. The covers were thrown randomly across his body on the bed, and he was lying with his top half turned one way and his bottom half rotated in the opposite direction. What a clash this was with Anna's neatly placed sleeping position with her covers fully over her.

"How could I have gotten so mad at him?" Aladdin whispered. "Look at him. He's just a boy."

"Yes, he is just a boy," he heard Jasmine's voice say from behind him.

She came to her husband's side and placed her arms around him.

"Oh, good morning, Jasmine. I didn't know you were awake yet."

"Well," she yawned, "I got up, but I don't know how awake I am exactly."

"Well, you'd better wake up soon," replied Aladdin with a slightly amused tone. "We have guests coming today."

"Today?" inquired Jasmine. "But I don't remember anyone--"

"The Sultan of Wattanamir is coming today to discuss some type of a trade agreement. No big deal," Aladdin shrugged.

"Oh, silly me!" giggled Jasmine. "How could I forget?"

"It happens...Let's just hope that he is on his best behavior," said Aladdin, motioning toward Troy sleeping in his bed.

"I'm sure he will be fine."

"I hope so."

* * * * * * * * * *

Aladdin was walking down one of the hallways when he came to his father's room. The door was closed, and he wasn't sure if his dad was still asleep. Hoping Cassim would be awake, though, Aladdin knocked softly on the door and asked, "Dad?"

There were a few muffled noises from within the room, and Aladdin could hear some footsteps. The doorknob turned, and Cassim opened the door. He was barely awake and was still dressed in his nightclothes. He looked at his son with a questioning look and yawned.

"What is it, Son?" he muttered.

"Good morning, Dad," said Aladdin, smiling clumbsily. "I'm sorry I woke you up. I didn't know you were still asleep."

"Oh, it's alright," nodded Cassim, yawning again. "I didn't get to sleep until late last night. After all that happened yesterday..."

"Yeah, I know...That's what I wanted to talk to you about."

"Okay," said Cassim, walking toward his bed. "Come in, though, and sit down. I don't know how long my legs are capable of standing this early."

Aladdin sat down next to his father on the bed. He looked down at his hands, nervously playing with his thumbs.

"What is it, Son?" asked Cassim. "You're acting so strange."

"It's Troy," replied Aladdin, still not looking up. "What am I going to do with him? Do you think I was too hard on him?"

Cassim sighed, "Aladdin, I--I don't think I am the right person to be asking. I don't know the answers to those questions. I wish I did, but you know I wasn't there for you when you were Troy's age. He's just going through a difficult time, I guess. All I can tell you is that when I was his age, I was very lost. I hadn't even met your mother yet."

"I know," sighed Aladdin, "but I just figured that since you are my dad, maybe you would know...But I'm being foolish. I know you didn't have the experience of really being a father and all..."

Cassim turned away from Aladdin and looked down at the ground. "And you have no idea how sorry I am for that," he muttered, barely above a whisper.

Aladdin realized what he had just said. Trying to comfort his dad, he reached for his shoulder and placed his hand on it.

"Dad," he began in a very sincere tone, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that...It's just that...I don't know. These last few days have been very confusing for me. Being a father and being a good father are two different things, and I just don't feel like I'm doing my job as a father very well. I feel like somehow I've failed Troy, and that's why he's acting like this."

"You have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of, Aladdin. You are more of a man than I ever was. You've come a long way in your life. Not very many people could become who and what you are today. You are not a boy anymore, Son. You've grown up a lot these past fifteen years, and me, well, I've grown a lot older," Cassim chuckled softly.

"Oh, Dad!" laughed Aladdin softly in return. "You're not that old yet."

"Thanks," smiled Cassim, "but you don't need to kiss up to your old dad. I'm not going anywhere."

"I know you're not, Dad...And thank you," said Aladdin, standing up.

"For what?"

"For just being who you are right now."

With those last words, Aladdin left the room, leaving Cassim to himself. Cassim yawned and laid back down, covering himself with the blankets.

"It's too early to be talking about these kinds of things," he muttered, and he closed his eyes.

Meanwhile, Aladdin had returned to his chambers. He went into his study and looked over some papers that he would need that afternoon when the Sultan of Wattanamir would be coming. The meeting was no big deal to Aladdin, but he still hated the fact that he would have to try to keep his mind on other things that day. Wattanamir was an ally of Agrabah, and Aladdin had gone to the kingdom on many occassions. He knew the sultan fairly well, and they always had a friendly connection between them. Aladdin couldn't remember the last time he had seen the Sultan of Wattanamir, but he knew it had been a while.

He sighed and placed the papers on the desk. He turned around to see a portrait of his family on the wall. It had been painted about ten years ago when his kids were still young. The artist had really done a good job of capturing the features and personalities of his models. Aladdin and Jasmine were sitting behind Troy and Anna. The kids were sitting on their parents' laps, both smiling broadly. Aladdin smiled at the painting, remembering how delightful those days many years ago had been.

"Look how innocent and young we all look," he mumbled to himself. "Especially the kids..."

Aladdin's mind then started to drift back to the times of his life before he was married and before he even met Jasmine. He was trying to remember what his life had been like when he was a teenager. He lived all alone, except for Abu, his only friend in the world. They were the best of friends, though. They did everything together. Aladdin smiled, remembering all the times his partner and he had tricked the merchants and stole fruit right under their noses. They never got caught. His smile faded, though, when he remembered how his little friend had died three years ago. He had lost his first friend, his friend who had been there went he wasn't just stealing fruits and causing chaos in the marketplace, but his friend who was there when he was alone in some alley somewhere, crying because he had no one to love him.

Aladdin's face turned quite sad just then. A part of him wanted to blame his dad for leaving him all alone like he did, but he knew that he had long ago forgiven him. That didn't mean, however, that Aladdin didn't think about things like that from time to time.

"They have no idea," he whispered. "Maybe if Troy and Anna knew how lucky they are, then maybe they would stop treating each other the way they do."

It was true that in Troy's attitude that Aladdin was reliving his past, remembering that being a teenager is never easy. That time of discovery in life of who a person is was confusing for Aladdin, as it was confusing for Troy.

"I'll talk to him today, but this time I'll set things right between us. Anna needs to be there as well, for her heart needs to learn forgiveness."

* * * * * * * * * *

Later that day after lunch, Aladdin had told his kids to stay at the table. Neither one of them seemed willing to talk during the meal, but that didn't matter. This time, they were going to find a way to resolve things, of that Aladdin was sure.

"Do you know why you're both here?" Aladdin asked them.

"Let me guess," began Anna, "to talk about what happened yesterday?"

"Exactly. Now, Troy, I know that you think I was being a bit hard on you yesterday, but you have to understand that this is a very serious matter that we are dealing with here. Is that clear?"

"Yes, Dad," he muttered, not really paying that much attention to his father's words.

"You have to listen to what I am about to tell you, Troy. The same goes for you, Anna. Troy, I know that I over-reacted yesterday, and for that I am sorry. It's just that you can't go through the rest of your life acting this way. You are one day going to be the sultan, and you have to realize just what that means. I don't like to force things upon either of you, but it's time that you start focusing more on your duties as the Heir to the Throne, Troy. As for you, Anna, you try too hard at times to be all grown up. You are only fourteen. Don't force yourself to grow up so quickly, for one day you will miss your childhood days of freedom. Also, you shouldn't hold this against your brother like this. As siblings, you should love and respect each other."

"I know what I need to do," replied Anna in a fairly annoyed tone. "I don't need to be told that, but I can't forgive him for what he did, not until he changes, Dad."

"Until I change?" intervened Troy. "Well, excuse me, Anna, but have you taken a good look at yourself lately? Dad is right. You try to act all grown up and proper when the truth of the matter is that you aren't. You are not as mature and smart as you think you are. And you know darn well that I never meant to hurt you in any way. Anna, look, I'm sorry for what happened, and I swear it won't happen again, but can't you just accept my apology and move on? Why is that so hard for you?"

"Because, Troy, I will not submit to your demands. Why should I practically bow down before you just to please you, to let your ego rise even higher than it already has? You are the prize child in this palace, not me."

"What?" asked Troy in confusion. "Anna, dear sister, what on earth are you talking about? Do you really think I have a high opinion of myself? Please, you don't know me then. I feel like a trouble-maker most of the time. You said so yourself that was all I was. So, before you go blaming things on me, maybe you should take a good look at yourself and think about what you're really talking about!"

"Kids!" yelled Aladdin. "Stop this at once! What's going on here? You were supposed to put an end to this. We were supposed to have a simple talk about what happened and bring a close to this, but neither one of you seems like you are willing to cooperate. I wish I had more time to sit here and listen to this, but this is becoming ridiculous. The Sultan of Wattanamir is due through the doors any minute now, and I can't stay here and listen to your arguing. You need to be there when the sultan arrives, so I expect you to be on your best behavior. Is that clear?"

"Yes, Father," they both muttered.

* * * * * * * * * *

A few minutes later, the whole royal family was standing in the throne room and waiting for the arrival of the Sultan of Wattanamir. The doors opened, and the guards announced his arrival as he came through the gates. Behind him were a dozen or so advisors and diplomats, but right beside him was a young lady in her mid-teens. The sultan approached Aladdin and his family and greeted him was a sincere smile.

"Greetings," the sultan stated. "It's great to be in your presence again, Sultan Aladdin."

"Likewise," replied Aladdin formally. "It's been many years since the last time we met."

"Indeed, it has been," the man reflected. "This is my daughter, Princess Andrina. Do you remember her?"

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Sultan," said Andrina, extending his right arm toward Aladdin.

"The pleasure is mine," smiled Aladdin, kissing her hand politely. "Yes, I remember her as but a small girl."

"And these are your children?" asked the Sultan of Wattanamir. "Why, how they've grown since last time I saw them!"

"Yes, they are," replied Aladdin. "As you may remember, this is my son, Prince Troy, and my daughter, Princess Anna."

"It's nice to meet you," the sultan smiled at the kids. "And you, Queen Jasmine, you are looking charming as always. Sultan Aladdin, you are so fortunate to have found such a jewel."

Jasmine smiled and looked at her husband with adoring eyes, and Aladdin smiled lovingly at his wife.

"Yes, I thank Allah for this beautiful women every day I live."

While Aladdin was talking about diplomatic matters with the sultan, Troy's attention was focused on Princess Andrina. He had never in his life seen such a beautiful girl. She giggled softly at him, finding it hard to believe that this young man was the same little boy she had met many years ago. The two sultans went into a conference room with Jasmine and the advisors and diplomats, leaving the children to themselves. Anna didn't waste any time in leaving the throne room, but Troy stayed there, looking at Andrina at a loss for words.

"Are you always this quiet?" asked the princess.

"I...um..." Troy muttered dumbly.

Andrina giggled. "You don't have to be nervous, Prince. We've met before."

"Yeah, I know," replied Troy nervously, "but we were just little kids back then. You've certainly...um...changed."

"Yes, I've grown up," she smiled. "You know, I am one of the most wanted princesses in the Seven Deserts."

"I'm sure you are," Troy said in the same nervous tone as before, not picking up what she was getting at.

"You know," she began, coming closer to him, "you are kind of cute. You still have the face of a boy, and yet there is something about you that reminds me of a man. I like that."

"I--" Troy gulped, "I really don't think I'm that much of a...a man."

"Oh, don't be scared, Prince," Andrina cooed, practically leaning on Troy. "I like you."

"You're a nice girl," Troy said hastily, "but I'm not looking for a princess right now. Um, I really should be going."

Before Andrina could say anything more, Troy scurried out of the room and to his private chamber. Princess Andrina smiled mischieviously as she stood by herself in the throne room.

"Oh, my dear Prince Troy," she said softly, "you cannot run from me. I like you, and I always get what I want."

Chapter Five: Princess Andrina

"My prince!" yelled Princess Andrina the next moring as she walked through the palace hallway where the royal chambers were located. "It's morning, time to wake up and greet your princess!"

From within his bedroom, Troy moaned and turned in bed. He covered his head with his pillow and groaned, "Oooohhh, not her again. Why does she have to be at this so early?"

"My prince!" her voice echoed through the hallway. She was getting closer.

Suddenly, there came a knock from the door. Troy tried to pretend he didn't hear it, but it was no use. Andrina kept knocking and repeating his name over and over again. She was really starting to get on Troy's nerves. He finally had enough of this insanity and ran to the door, barging it open.

"What do you want?" Troy spat in her face. "Do you have any idea how annoying you are being?"

"Well," smiled Andrina, completely ignoring Troy's remarks, "you're certainly more talkable than you were yesterday."

"There's a reason for that, you know," began Troy in utter annoyance. "All you've been doing since the moment you arrived here is tormenting me."

"Oh, don't be silly!" giggled the princess. "I like you, and you should be grateful to me for that. You should be doing anything I ask of you to please me. After all, I am a guest in your kingdom, am I not?"

Troy couldn't argue with that last statement. It was true. She was a guest in his kingdom, and he was supposed to treat any guest with hospitality and respect.

"Very well," Troy sighed, finally giving in. "What do you want with me?"

"I want," she began, "to see your home. I want to see the kingdom where I might one day rule as queen by your side."

"I'll show you the palace," said Troy, "but what makes you think I would marry you?"

"Because," Andrina lightly shrugged, "I am the Princess of Wattanamir, and my father is the sultan there. I get whatever I want, and I want you. My father would do anything to ensure my happiness."

Troy wanted so badly to tell her that she was a spoiled brat and that she had no right to come into his home and demand that he marry her. For the sake of diplomacy, though, he kept his mouth shut and agreed to show Andrina the palace.

"Just give me a few moment to get dressed, okay?" Troy asked, trying to hide his true feelings.

"Of course."

Troy shut the door and slumped down on to his bed. He rubbed his forehead as if he was getting a headache. This was going to be a long day, a very long day.

* * * * * * * * * *

Later that morning, Troy met Andrina in the menagerie to start the tour. She was sitting by the fountain, fanning herself and looking at her reflection in the water. When she saw Troy, she stood up and smiled ear to ear.

"Oh, my prince!" she exclaimed. "You look so dashing!"

"Thank you," Troy muttered. "You look nice."

"Hmmm," she purred, taking his arm. "I think I look more than 'nice,' wouldn't you say?"

"Okay, you look beautiful."

"That's more like it. Now, show me your lovely garden."

"Okay," Troy said, trying his best to stay calm.

He walked her to his favorite spot of the menagerie, the part that his own mother kept up. The flowers there were the most beautiful and the most alive of any in the garden. They sat on a bench there, and Troy smiled at his mother's garden.

"Why this spot?" Andrina asked coldly, noticing the content expression on Troy's face. "It's not that special."

"Yes, it is. This is my favorite spot. This is where my own mother have planted her flowers and kept her garden since she was a little girl."

"You mean, your mother, Queen Jasmine, sits in the dirt and plants flowers like a servant?" asked Andrina, completely disgusted at the thought of royalty doing gardening. "What a filthy job! The queen is not supposed to do that!"

"But my mother isn't like most queens. She also took care of my sister and me herself when we were little kids. She doesn't believe in making herself feel above the common person."

"That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Of course she is above the common person. She is royalty, for Allah's sake! Your mother certainly is not a lady then."

"Do you care to explain to me just what you mean by that remark?" questioned Troy, trying not to lose his temper.

"Oh, nothing," Andrina shrugged. "It was nothing."

"Yeah, sure it was."

"Are you accusing me of lying?" she asked, pretending to sound shocked.

"No, I--"

"See, my dear prince? You are at a loss for words. Just let me do all the talking. I know what I'm talking about."

Troy sighed and buried his head between his hands. Andrina tried to look at his face, but he refused to let her. She pulled on his arms, trying to make him move them, but Troy insisted on pulled away from her every time.

"Why are you doing this?" she insisted. "Why are you being so stubborn and rude? Do you have any idea who I am?!"

Troy couldn't take it anymore. He stood up and backed away quickly from her.

"I don't care who you are!" Troy yelled, looking the princess straight in the eyes. "You try to force me into liking you, but I can't like anymore who talks about my mother the way you just have! You have insulted her, and in doing so, you have insulted me!"

"Why would I dare insult someone I am in love with? I meant no harm by it..."

"Maybe not, but you are not in love with me. Andrina, you don't even know me! You are just like any other princess I've met...you are self-centered, stuck up, and a spoiled brat! The only princess I've ever met who doesn't treat me like some play toy in my sister, Princess Anna. At least she has common decency toward others."

Troy didn't know it, but Anna was standing just in the adjacent part of the garden. She had heard the whole conversation between her brother and the princess. She was almost shocked to hear how upset her brother was, but she was also touched by the last statement he had just said. She heard Troy run off, and when she looked over into Jasmine's garden, she noticed a scared, lonely girl sitting on the bench all by herself.

Andrina was staring down at the ground, and it took a moment before Anna realized that Andrina was also crying. Anna didn't know if this was the best idea, but she went over to the crying princess and sat down next to her.

"What's wrong?" Anna asked.

"Huh?" Andrina ask, alarmed that someone was next to her. "What do you want? Isn't it enough that I'm crying? Now someone has to see me..."

"I heard what happened," Anna began, "and I think I can relate. Let's talk, girl to girl, princess to princess."

"Why should I talk to you?" Andrina asked coldly. "How do I know you won't just go tell your brother what we talked about?"

"Don't worry about my brother. He causes enough trouble as it is," giggled Anna softly. "But he is a good person."

"Yeah, right," Andrina sighed. "Why did he yell at me that way? What did I do to deserve that?"

"Well, Andrina, you were a bit insistant, don't you think? I mean, if you like him, give him time to get to know you. You can't just insist that he like you, too. How likeable do you think you came across by forcing him into things that made him feel uncomfortable."

"Hmph, well, I don't think I did anything that wrong, certainly nothing to deserve what he did to me. He is just so immature and selfish."

"I'll admit, he does act quite immature at times, but he isn't one to explode like that. I've known him my whole life, and we don't always get along, but we do have enough respect for each other to leave the other alone."

"Why are you even bothering talking to me like this?" Andrina asked. "You don't even know me."

"Because I am a teenager, too, and I am a princess. We aren't that different in some ways. I feel like you do sometimes...like no one understands me."

Princess Andrina looked at Anna with a confused expression across her face. Her eyes looked empty, and she was at a loss for words for a moment. Finally, she smiled a tiny smile and said, "I guess you're right, you know. I admit it, I did want him to like me. It's just that I've been so used to every prince I ever meet practically worshipping me at my feet. I didn't ask them to at first, but as a couple of years passed, I just got used to it, I guess. I thought it was just part of being a princess to make a prince like me."

"Well," began Anna, "you can't make anyone like you. You can only be someone to be liked. Forcing it upon anyone will only turn them away."

"Heh," laughed Andrina softly, "you know, you sound like my parents. You're only my age, and yet, you seem to be wise beyond your years. How did you get this way?"

"Well, thanks, I guess," stuttered Anna, not knowing what to say to that exactly. "I guess it's just because of the guidance I've received from my parents while growing up, and well, I am always trying to act more mature than my brother. He really is goofy sometimes..."

"You do have great parents," reflected Andrina. "My father has told me that Agrabah is the envy of the Seven Deserts. I know there are a lot of sultans and other royalty out there who don't appreciate all Sultan Aladdin was done for the Seven Deserts, but in Wattanamir, we do. My father says that the Sultan of Agrabah is a wise, just, and kind ruler."

"Thanks," smiled Anna, "on behalf of my father, I thank you for that nice compliment. We don't get that often, believe it or not. There are still many people who are...uh...wrong about my dad. I mean, with his past and all..."

Anna looked down, as if she was almost ashamed to be talking about her father's past. It always saddened her heart to know that he had lived that kind of a life on the streets...all alone for so many years.

Andrina didn't know what to say. She couldn't begin to understand why Anna was so saddened. All she could do was thank her for her help.

"Well, thank you, Princess Anna," Andrina said sincerely. "I hope you can understand where I'm coming from now, and please, can you talk to your brother about all of this? Tell him I didn't mean to come across the way I did."

"Sure, no problem," smiled Anna weakly, still thinking about her father's past life.

With that, Andrina left the garden, leaving Anna all by herself. Anna walked to the fountain and looked down at her reflection. The water was still, and she could see her beautiful face crystal clear down in the water.

Why is life so confusing? Anna thought. Why did my father have to live that kind of a life when he was my age? And why am I living this life? Shouldn't I feel grateful to be living in a warm home with all these luxuries and loving people? And yet, I feel guilty, as if I'm doing something wrong, like I don't deserve this life... Anna sighed at the water one last time before she left the menagerie. She went inside and went up to her brother's bedroom. Once she reached the door, she knocked softly.

"Who is it?" she heard Troy's voice ask.

"It's just me, Anna."

"Anna?" Troy asked, confused. "What are you doing here?"

Troy opened the door just then.

"Can I talk to you?"

"Uh, of course...Come in."

Anna entered the room and sat down on the bed. She tried to look at her brother, but she kept looking down at her hands.

"Is something wrong?" questioned Troy.

"Well, sort of...Andrina and I were talking after you left the garden."

"Oh, great," said Troy sarcastically. "Did she tell you that I was completely rude and immature? And are you here to drill yet another one of your lessons into my head about how I should act? Because, to be honest, Anna, I really am not in the mood for it."

"No, Troy, I'm not here to lecture you. I overheard what happened in the menagerie, and I heard what you said about me...about how I was different for other princesses you've met, and that really meant a lot to me, Troy. Thank you for that."

"You're welcome."

"And," Anna continued quickly, "I was the one who approached Andrina. She was confused and somewhat hurt over what happened. We talked for quite a while about everything that happened, and she said she didn't mean to come across so direct and rude like she did."

"Well, that's a surprise to hear," said Troy in spite. "She certainly has a weird way of showing that she likes me, if that's what she was trying to do."

"She said she was sorry about all of that. It was mostly just a big act, but you should probably talk to her yourself about that. You know, Troy, we are different from most royalty. We have been give more freedom to be ourselves and to not be confined to so many rules of tradition."

Troy sat silent for a couple of minutes before continuing. "We are different, you're right. We've had to pay a price for that freedom, though. Knowing more about the other side of life, the life our dad lived, and seeing the poverty on the streets, and having friends outside of the palace have all taught us lessons from experience, and that is something most people of royalty don't have. Knowing all of this, though, has not only opened our minds and hearts, but I think we also feel guilty at times...for different reasons."

"Like knowing how lucky we are when there are people out there who don't have what we do," added Anna.

"Exactly," remarked Troy. "Is that what's been bothering you?"

"Yes," she admitted. "Troy, these last few days we haven't exactly been on the best of terms. We've been focusing on our anger and have been missing the bigger picture this whole time. Troy, I'm sorry for saying that you are immature and that you don't take your title seriously at prince. Sometimes, though, I guess I just take things too seriously."

"You don't have to be sorry, Anna. I know that I'm not exactly the most noble or the most proper when it comes to being "a prince," but those things will come with time. Dad is right. I do have to start being more responsible at times, but I can't just let go of my childish ways. You know that," he grinned.

"Oh, Troy!" laughed Anna. "I know that all too well!"

Troy laughed and looked at his sister directly in the eyes and said happily, "So, Sis, it looks like we're on good terms again, huh?"

"Yes, Brother, we are," smiled Anna.

* * * * * * * * * *

Later that day when it was dinner time, everyone was gathered around the dining room table. Aladdin and Jasmine noticed that Troy and Anna seemed happy again, and Aladdin looked at Jasmine and smiled. He leaned over toward her and whispered in her ear, "Look at them. It's appears they've resolved thing whole thing."

Jasmine just smiled at her husband's words and nodded, looking directly at her children with approving eyes. After most of the people had left the table, only the royal family was left.

"So," began Aladdin, "it seems you two are doing better. Care to share the details with your mother and me?"

"Should I tell them?" asked Anna, looking at Troy.

"Sure," Troy replied.

"Okay," began Anna. "Well, we had a little talk earlier today..."

Anna told her parents about what happened in the menagerie that afternoon, with the help of her brother, and how they had talked about not only that, but about the feelings that were bothering them regarding the price they have paid for having the kind of life they did with the freedom to be who they wanted to be.

"Well," said Aladdin after Anna was done speaking, "it seems I'm not the only one who has had a pretty eventual day. To be truthful, kids, you shouldn't be ashamed of anything. I think you've both realized how lucky you really are, and I think you've known it all along. It just takes things like this to remind us from time to time just how lucky we are. It's true that there are a lot of things about me that some people will never understand, but none of those people are in this room. What happens out there and what happens in here are two different things. Yes, I do care tremendously about my city and what goes on in the world, but my first concern lies with my family. You are all very special to me, and that is why I came down somewhat hard on you two the other day. It's not because I don't love you; it's because I do love you...more than anything, kids. You and my beautiful wife are my greatest gifts, and there is nothing that should ever have to come between us. I think you've both learned something these past few days, and I see it in both of your eyes...You are growing up, you really are."

Their father's words echoed through their heads. It had been a while since Aladdin had really told his children just how much they meant to him. Troy and Anna didn't know where to begin. So many thought were racing through their minds, but at the same time, they couldn't really place those thoughts in words.

"Dad..." they both said, not able to say anything else.

"Come here, all of you," smiled Aladdin.

Jasmine, Anna, and Troy all came close to Aladdin, and they all embraced each other in a loving family hug. This hug symbolized the kind of family bond that could never be broken, not by time, not by guilt, not by war, not by anything. There were many words that could be used to describe such happiness and beauty that was felt in that embrace that day, but above all, that embrace was most simply put as pure love.

~The End~