Site Info
We are the home of 167 authors from among our 746 members. There have been 2011 reviews written about our 530 stories. A special welcome to our newest member, Disneygirl19.
Generation to Generation by Sindie
[Reviews - 0] Printer

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: Aladdin, Jasmine, Cassim, and their friends are all property of Walt Disney and were used without permission, but I assure you, as always, they were used with consideration and love. Sariyah, Feliah, Anna, Troy, Clara, Carina, Cahina, Jareem, and other minor characters are my creations, and I owe the right of using them. If anyone wants to use them, please ask my permission, and I will gladly let you.

Writing this story has taken tremendous effort, time, and planning. This is my longest story so far and covers many, many themes. To gain a full understanding of this story, I strongly suggest you read I Only Want What's Best. This story picks up from where that story left off. Parts of it run parallel to Together Forever, and there are references made to Untold Stories: Future Shock. Thank you for taking the time to read my writing. It is greatly appreciated!

To Evi, who has always been there for inspiration and love. Her stories are works of art and should not go unappreciated. Thank you, Evi, so very much!

Completed in Oct. 1999 by Sindie.


~Generation to Generation~

~Part I: Growing Stronger~

~Chapter I: The Welcome Back~

"I'm so glad you're back, Dad," Aladdin said assuringly, as he placed his arms around Cassim. "Yes, Aladdin," Cassim smiled. "I promised myself that I wouldn't leave you for another twenty years. I left after your wedding because I still felt out of place in your world. I was a wanted man. I cannot change my past, but I can be a better man in the future, and that future, Aladdin, I want to spend with you." "I understand," Aladdin smiled. "You don't have to explain anything to me. I know. I've always known. And Mom, she never stopped loving you." "I never stopped loving her either. I wish so much that she could be here today. It is my fault that she is gone." "No, Dad, it's no your fault. You only wanted what was best for us. We all make mistakes, but you still have me. Besides, Mom is here." "Yes, Aladdin. You are right...she is here." The wind encircled father and son as they looked from the palace balcony at the magnificent city before them. This was the real ultimate treasure, and Cassim possessed it all along. This was truth, and this was true love. The view sure had changed. After looking out the window of the hovel for years, both of them were looking from the palace now. Cassim placed his hand on the back of his neck and shook his head in disbelief. Seeing this, Aladdin gave him a questioning look. "Dad? What is it?" "That little bird was right. The palace certainly does have a wonderful view." "Iago said that? Well, that really doesn't surprise me." "Well, yes. He and I shared a lot this past year. I'm glad he came with me. You would be surprised about what he hides inside himself." "I'm not so surprised, really. I've always known him better than he revealed. It was quite a surprise to see him come into the throneroom today. He told me you were waiting for me outside, so I told him to visit Jasmine while I came to get you." Cassim nodded and looked at Aladdin. They began to walk back toward the doorway and continued on through the hallway until they came to Jasmine's room. Cassim couldn't believe the sight before his eyes. In her loving arms, Jasmine held a tiny baby wrapped in a white blanket. Cassim's eyes became glassy as a small smile of joy formed on his lips. Looking up, Jasmine saw Cassim right next to her side. He knelt down on both knees and looked at the sleeping child. "May I?" Cassim softly asked, bringing his hands to the baby. "Of course," Jasmine whispered with a smile. Cassim held the infant in his arms and looked gently at the child. A couple of tears came flowing down his cheeks and lost themselves in his beard. "Look at him, Aladdin," Cassim whispered. "He looks just like you did when you were a baby. I feel like a father again, holding this child just as I held you. You, Aladdin, and this beautiful lady here have given me a new family." "Yes, we are a real family now," Aladdin smiled. "His name is Troy," Jasmine said to Cassim. "He is two months old." "Will you have more children?" asked Cassim. "Yes, we hope so," Jasmine said, as she gently took Troy from Cassim and placed him into a cradle. Cassim rubbed his forehead as if he were dizzy, and Aladdin looked at him with concern. "Dad? Are you okay?" "Huh?" he asked, pulling his hand away from his face. "Oh, yes. I'm fine, just tired." "Take the room at the end of the east hall," Jasmine offered. "Get yourself some rest." Cassim thanked Jasmine and left the room. He proceeded down the hall until he came to his new room. Seeing the silky array of covers on the gigantic bed, he fell into them in great relief. He sighed heavily and closed his eyes. For a long time, Cassim lay there, sorting out all his cluttered thoughts about who he had been and where he was going. He couldn't run away anymore from life. Just as he was almost asleep, he heard the door squeak open. "Who-" "It's me," said a familiar voice. "Oh, Iago, it's just you. Thank heavens." "Why? What's the matter?" "Oh, I don't know exactly. I should be happy. I'm home with my family, but this palace isn't really my home. It's all so overwhelming. I saw my grandson today, and he reminded me so much of Aladdin. I was also reminded of how I left him as a baby and missed his whole life growing up." "So, it's the lingering guilt, huh?" "Yes." "I know what you mean. I've told you about who I used to be, but it seems that much of what we went through in the past was beyond our control. I still to this day have this guilt because of who I was. That's why I had to find my family again. It was like putting the pieces together from my past. In fact, I told Aladdin for the first time today how much he means to me. You are the father of a great person, Cassim." "Perhaps, but I am not a great father, and I could have controlled my past more. I just didn't see it at the time." "Don't say that. You are proving to Aladdin by coming back here that you are willing to face any problems that might arise." "Do you really think so?" "I would not lie to you. I can't. I've lied to my friends before, and it only causes hurt." "Why are you so good to me?" "Because I understand partly where you're coming from. You have no idea how much you've changed me this past year." "Changed you? How?" "It's so hard to explain. Let's just say that because you found your family and realized the importance there that I was so influenced that I was humbled. I sometimes don't believe it myself. Before you, Aladdin showed me friendship, and I changed some, but I don't think I really ever accepted it in its entirety until I met you." "Thank you, my little friend. You've been good to me, but I am very tired now. I must go to sleep." "Okay, good night." "Yes, good night."

~Chapter II: The Reflection~

Cassim groaned as he rolled on his side to find it morning already. He tightened his closed eyes and brought his hand to his forehead in an annoyed manner. Although he was trilled to be back with Aladdin, he could not help but to feel guilt at the same time. There was so much that he failed to know about his son's life...the beautiful woman he had a child with was a mysterious part of Aladdin's life as well. Cassim wanted badly to talk to her, get to know her. He finally opened his eyes in the midst of all these thoughts. Now standing up, he stretched and walked to a mirror. Seeing what the last year outside had done to him, he shook his head in dismay. His beard had grown bushy, and his hair was a bit longer than his taste. The night attire of silk that the servants had provided to him clashed terribly against his dirt-streaked, tan skin. Feeling unkempt, Cassim knew he had no other choice but to ask his son for a few favors. Cassim exited his chamber and proceeded down the hallway until he came to Aladdin and Jasmine's royal suite. He knocked lightly on the door and rather than greeted by Aladdin's voice, Jasmine called out, "Who's there?" "It's me...Cassim." The doorknob turned and the door clicked as Jasmine stood there in front of Cassim. "Oh, hi," she smiled. "I didn't expect to see you up this early." "Is it that early?" "Well, it's eight o'clock. How was your stay last night?" "The bed was so comfortable. I really felt welcome. Thank you." "You're welcome. So, did you need anything? If you are looking for Aladdin, he left already to attend a meeting in the west conference room." "Oh, well...I was just going to ask a favor, but since he is not here, it can wait." "Oh, it's no bother. Please, tell me." "Well, look at me. I'm a mess, so I was just wondering if maybe I could clean up some." "Oh, sure!" Jasmine laughed. "You have no need to be embarrassed. I will have some servants prepare a bath for you right away." Cassim thanked her graciously and was escorted to a filled tub of hot, bubbly water. Once he was relaxed in the tub, he sighed in relief as the warmth touched every pore on his body. He took full advantage of the oils, bath salts, and lavender-scented soaps. Pouring the water over his head, Cassim felt a luxury he never had before. His gorgeous smile spread across his face as he continued to enjoy ever moment of this angelic cleansing. When Cassim finished, he dried and put on the white undergarments that had been set aside. Seeing he had finished, the servants took him to another room and seated him on a stool before a wall of mirrors. They gently and carefully shaped his shaggy beard until it once again was molded to the contours of his face. Then, they took to his thick head of hair. "Please, not too short," Cassim instructed them. "Just a couple of inches until the back comes right above me shoulders." His gorgeous, wavy hair was his favorite feature. He never like it short, and Aladdin had been fortunate to inherit that same beautiful hair. Once he was done, he smiled as he remembered how he had looked. Once Cassim was dressed in full attire, he returned to Jasmine with great gratitude. "I must thank you deeply, my dear," he proudly said. "You've helped make this desparate man look like royalty." "Cassim," Jasmine remarked, "you look very handsome and well dignified. I would never mistake you for a middle-aged man." Cassim blushed and looked at her, right in the eyes. "Oh, seriously...I'm not as handsome as my young Aladdin. Why, he is the same age I was when he was a baby." "So, you are forty-two?" "Yes." "You're not old, Cassim. Why, if my mother were still alive, she would only be thirty-seven." "Is that all? I knew the queen was young when she married the sultan, but I didn't know she was that young." "Yes," Jasmine sadly said. "She was young, and she died young too. I was only six when..." "You don't have to tell me, dear...if it hurts you so." Jasmine looked up from her lap and gazed longingly into Cassim's eyes. Tears formed under her dark irises and flowed slowly down her cheeks. "I am sorry," Jasmine stammered. "I should not be bothering you with this..." "Oh, my dear, it's okay to feel the hurt. I understand." All Jasmine could do was nod, and she quickly placed her arms around Cassim. At first, he was a little alarmed that she was hugging him, but he accepted her fully and embraced her like a daughter. "Carina..." Cassim's late wife's name crossed his lips. "Who?" Jasmine asked, looking up and wiping the tears away. "She was my wife...Aladdin's mother. She died a long time ago." "I'm sorry," Jasmine frowned. "Aladdin told me that she died when he was only four. She thought that you were long dead." "He and I never really talked about the details much...but what of your mother? What happened to her?" Jasmine sighed and began to retell the horrifying tale as if she were reliving it all over: Her name was Artemina. She had the most beautiful singing voice and the most tender hands to caress me asleep and the softest lips to kiss me goodnight. She was, after all, my mother. She married my father only a year before I was born and was much younger than he. We lived as a happy family, as both of them loved me dearly. There was a darkness in our world though. Poor Father never saw it until it was almost too late. It was his kind heart that his so-called most trusted advisor took advantage of. Jafar had an evil in him that penetrated to the very core of his soul, making it black. All he wanted was power...it was never enough...until it finally destroyed him. Well, I was a rather spoiled, foolish child. I knew very little about the outside world, only that I wasn't a part of it. I would spend my days playing about the menagerie. It was my secret place. When I was returning to my room late one evening, I passed my mother's room and heard her talking to someone. "Oh, Jafar!" she gasped. "I didn't see you come in." "Well, here I am, Your Highness," he grinned. There was something in his voice that I never liked...that sly, sneaky tone that was never sincere. I never trusted him, and this time, I cautiously and curiously looked around the doorway to see what he was up to. "So, can I help you?" my mother asked politely. "Yes, as a matter of a fact..." Suddenly, his hands were gripping her neck tightly. She shook and tried to scream, but Jafar pulled a blue bottle from his garments and forced the liquid down her throat. She stopped struggling and fell to the bed. Jafar positioned her body and covered her with the blankets to make it look like she was asleep, but I knew that wasn't so. I never told Father, for fear that Jafar would find out and kill me, too.

Her eyes stared at the wall, as she finished telling her horrible story. Cassim held back his tears and touched Jasmine's arm. "Jasmine?" he whispered. "What did you say?" "I called you by your name." "Yes, that was the first time you..." "Yes, I know. Can I call you that?" "Of course, Cassim...you are a part of my family now." "Jasmime, do you know who I am?" "You are Aladdin's father." "I am a lost man. I was supposed to be his father, but I was never there for him. I was the blasted King of Thieves for twenty years...I -- I was the man who ruined your wedding. I am not so much different than this Jafar." "Don't say that. You're not --" "Why? Because I'm you're loving husband's father, that makes me different? How? Why? Don't you see, Jasmine? I am just as responsible for the death of Aladdin's mother as Jafar was for your mother." Jasmine gasped, not knowing what to say. Here she had been reflecting on a past that made her sad when this man she barely knew started to fall apart. What had she done? "Cassim...I'm sorry..." "No, Jasmine...you are but an innocent child who had to be subjected to the harsh unfairness of the reality of this cursed world when you were so young...as was my son...that's why you are so close. We are all lost children." "Cassim, I love Aladdin dearly. Let me tell you something though. When he found out that you were still alive, he wasn't sure whether he should find you or not. I reassured him that you were a great man because you are his father. You are part of each other...when I saw your face smiling with great approval at the back of the crowd during our wedding, I knew that you had found not only your son but yourself again. In loving Aladdin, I love you." "You...love me?" Cassim chocked on his words. "You really love me?" "Forever." Jasmine embraced Cassim, and he smiled the first one hundred percent smile of joy since he had arrived. "I love you, too...as the daughter I never had."

~Chapter III: The Visit to the Marketplace~

Cassim joined everyone else in the dining hall for breakfast. Aladdin stood up in surprise when he saw that his father looked clean and fresh. Sultan acknowledged Cassim's presence and asked no questions about why he had come back. Although Aladdin was the primary sultan now, Sultan still kept his title because everyone was used to calling him that. After they finished eating the different fruits and grains, Cassim had no chance to talk to Aladdin. Feeling lonely, he figured he would talk to Iago. He was the only other "person" around who he felt comfortable talking to. The genie was too strange for his tastes, Sultan was rather distant, and he had already bothered Jasmine enough. When Cassim turned to see if Iago was there though, he found the spot empty and caught a quick glimpse of the bird flying into the same room Aladdin had gone in. Feeling bored, Cassim sat there for the next hour, thinking about how he would ever become accustomed to this type of life. It was barely his second day here, and he missed the excitement of being out in the world already. Finally, Iago came out of the other room and flew past Cassim. "Wait!" Cassim exclaimed, standing up. "Oh, I didn't see you," Iago said dumbly. "Sorry." "Where were you?" "Just talking to Al about a few old enemies of ours. I mentioned that there are a lot of poor people, too. I was hoping that maybe he was doing something about it since he was once in that condition." "Oh, please, don't remind me," Cassim said scornfully. "Sorry...I didn't mean to--" "Oh, it's okay." "You look bored." "Well, yeah...I guess I'm just not used to this life." "You mean, after all those years you wished for wealth, you are telling me that you don't want to live in the palace?" "It's more than that. Come on, you must know. Don't tell me that you don't miss those adventures you used to have." "Okay, I do...but think of it, you are finally with your family." "Now, but there's still that blank past of my son's life. Can you show me where he lived his life before he came here?" "Sure, but you may want to change your clothes. It's not smart to go out in the marketplace looking like royalty." Cassim changed back into the plain clothes he had come in. They left the palace and proceeded down the main walkway until coming to the palace gates. Cassim looked around the main street and was reminded of his life here with Carina. Everything looked the same, and finally, they came to Aladdin's old hovel. Cassim thought the building looked awfully familiar on the outside, but he couldn't be sure. As they climbed the stairs, Cassim felt his stomach drop when he saw the inside. "Why have you brought me here?" Cassim demanded, his voice both angry and afraid. "What do you mean?" Iago asked. "This is Aladdin's old home." "No, this can't be." His voice was breaking now. "I lived here with my wife when he was but a baby. Are you telling me that he still lived here up until last year?" "Yes..." Cassim sat down by the window and looked at the palace. He was too mixed with feelings to cry, to talk, to move. Iago didn't know what to do. All he had done was show Cassim a familiar place. The bird did not and could not understand Cassim's reaction. "I'm sorry...but I didn't know. This is where he always stayed when I first became friends with him." "It's not your fault. I was just reminded of a lot of bad memories. Let's go." With that, they left the hovel and returned to the marketplace. They talked about Troy and how lucky Aladdin and Jasmine were. As they walked past the merchants, the same calls for "the finest merchandise on sale today" echoed through the air just as they had years ago. Iago laughed, as he told Cassim about the numerous times he had convinced Abu to steal fruit. Just as things seemed to be lightening up, a woman around Cassim's age bumped into him. "Oh, excuse me, ma'am," he politely said. Just as he was moving out of the way, she said in surprise, "Cassim!" Hearing his name, he stopped abruptly and looked at her face. "Do I know you?" "What are you talking about? Don't you remember me?" "No...no," he said in quick denial. "You don't look familiar. You must be mistaken..." "I am not mistaken!" she exclaimed in an insulted tone. "Does the name Feliah sound familiar?" "Feliah...it can't be. What are you doing here?" "Hiyahmah has had no business for years. Isn't that why you left with that little child Carina so long ago?" "Don't you dare insult her, Feliah! Allah rest her dear soul. She passed away a long time ago." "How so?" "I--I left..." He was trembling now and beginning to feel dizzy, as if to black out any moment. This woman was asking him questions that he couldn't bear to answer. Cassim stopped, too ashamed to tell her the truth. "You left her, didn't you? Just like you left me! I was only fifteen, Cassim!" "Feliah, forget that life we had together. I was but a boy of sixteen. I didn't know what I wanted...neither did you..." "But I can't forget it, Cassim!" she yelled, getting right in his face. "You left me to have a child all alone! You didn't know that, did you? You have a daughter who lives still in Hiyahmah!" "That can't be..." The trembling increased dramatically. If what this woman said was true, then Aladdin had a half sister who was five years older than he. It was happening all over again. He had run away not once, but twice from the women in his life. Completely ashamed of himself, Cassim ran back to the palace. "Is it true?" asked Iago. "I don't know. It could be. Promise me this though: Not a world of this is to be mentioned to Aladdin. Do you promise?" "Yes, I promise." "Good."

~Chapter IV: The Past Brought Back~

"You can't run away!" Feliah's voice echoed through Cassim's head. It was all coming back to him now - that past he had run away from was now creeping up on him after many years. A young Cassim of only fifteen years was walking down the busy streets of Hiyahmah. He lived alone since he was twelve. Life was not easy for Cassim, for he jumped from one job to another over the past three years, but he could never manage to keep one for more than a couple of months. He was too young, too immature, too childish they said. This day was hotter than usual, despite living in the desert. The sweat dripped from Cassim's brow, as he looked at the river a few hundred feet away. They water sparkled and looked so refreshing that he couldn't resist going to it. Once Cassim reached the bank of the river, he splashed the water on his face in pure relief. "Excuse me, young man," said a voice from behind him. "Do you know that you are on private property?" Cassim stopped and turned around to see who was talking to him. "I'm...I'm sorry," he stammered. "I didn't know. I was quite thirsty on such a hot day like this." "Don't you have your own home with your own water?" "Well, no...not really. I have no parents or job. I live on my own, but I have nothing there." "Oh, that's too bad. Well, I suppose I could use some extra help with the farm here. That is, if you want to..." "Really? You mean, I could?" "Sure. I grow the majority of the crops for this city, and I can always use more help with working in the fields. My name is Ahmed by the way. What's yours?" "Cassim." From that day through the rest of the summer season, Cassim worked on the farm of Ahmed. Ahmed had a wife and five children, the eldest of whom was Feliah. One day in mid-July while Cassim was taking a short break, he noticed a young girl standing outside of the house. Unlike most of the people around, she had these amazing sapphire-blue eyes that sparkled as the light from the sun reflected off them. Her hair was dark brown and was pulled back in a ponytail out of her face, and she dressed simple. Cassim was immediately captured by her radiant beauty and could not control himself as his legs began to move beneath him toward her. Feliah looked up and saw Cassim standing there. "Oh, hi," she smiled. "I don't think we've met yet." "No, but I was hoping maybe we could get to know each other." They talked for quite a while that first day. Cassim found out that Feliah was Ahmed's daughter and was happy to know that she would always be close by. Cassim found himself lost in what he considered true love at the time. They were both young and foolish though. What they had was based only on physical attraction, and their relationship was going too fast. When harvest time came around, Ahmed told his daughter that he would be gone for a few weeks with the majority of his laborers so they could deliver the harvest to other places. His wife went with him to keep him company, leaving Feliah in charge of watching her younger siblings. Cassim stayed to keep her company. "I can't believe that we're actually alone!" exclaimed Feliah in glee. "I know," smiled Cassim. "They must trust you a lot to give you that kind of responsibility." Feliah laughed and jumped on to Cassim's lap, putting her arms around his neck. Cassim cared not to remember what had happened that night. What a horrible mistake that fling with Feliah had been! That night would forever change Feliah's life. Morning came and they awoke to find themselves lying side by side in Feliah's bed. Feliah gasped when she saw Cassim still asleep beside her, and he awoke when he heard her. "What happened last night?" she frantically asked him. "Why are you in my bed?" "I -- I don't know," he stammered. "I should leave." "Yes," she quickly agreed. "This isn't right. When will you be back?" "Soon," he said without thinking and left. It was nearly a month before Ahmed came back. He found his daughter throwing up behind the house, and she looked pale and sickly. "What is the matter?" "I don't know. I have been sick the last whole month." "You are acting like your mother did when she was pregnant." "I can't be..." Feliah trailed off. At that moment, Ahmed knew what had happened. Cassim had disappeared and met Carina. He never did tell Feliah, but she knew, for she saw Cassim walk past Ahmed's farm with Carina beside him many times. Her poor heart was broken, and Cassim had no idea what he had done to her. Cassim had given Feliah a daughter named Sariyah.

Cassim tried desparately to shake off those memories. He walked down the hall alone that night and came to Troy's room. He expected to find the child asleep, but instead he was greeted by a smile. Troy's eyes looked lovingly at his grandfather, for even a baby can feel what love is. Cassim silently laughed and picked the baby up, cradling him gently. Troy extented his tiny fingers toward Cassim's face and touched his chin. "You are such a beautiful boy," Cassim said softly. "Looking at you reminds me of the joys of fatherhood that I missed out on...twice." Troy stopped smiling and looked at Cassim without blinking. "You know, don't you, child?" Cassim asked. "You know that I am feeling guilty. I must find my...my daughter." Cassim returned Troy to his cradle and went back to his room. After a few minutes, he heard a knock at the door. "Who is it?" "It's me, Dad," said Aladdin's voice. "Oh, Aladdin, come in. I haven't had the chance to talk to you in a little while." "I'm sorry," Aladdin frowned, coming into the room and sitting on the bed. "I don't like being sultan all the time. It takes so much time away from my time with my friends and family. I bet you never thought your son would be the sultan, huh?" "Stranger things have happened," Cassim muttered. "What do you mean?" "Nothing. Look, Aladdin, I understand that you are busy, but don't worry about me. I'll be fine." "Well, I'm glad to know that. If you wonder what I have been doing, I have been trying to come up with a plan to help control the poverty in Agrabah. I will be leaving on a diplomatic mission in a few days. Things like this are common, you know." "How often do you have to go on these trips?" "Almost every other week. It's a lot of work, I know, but I want to help the people. They deserve it." "You would know. You can relate it them more than any other sultan. I guess you have me to thank for that." "Oh, Dad...stop blaming yourself for what happened in the past. You are here now with me. You are reunited with your family again." With that, Cassim forced a very fake smile, and Aladdin left the room. Am I? Am I reunited with my family, Aladdin? Is my daughter really my family? If so, then no, I don't have my entire family...

~Chapter V: The Revelation

Aladdin left for another kingdom the following week, leaving Sultan in charge of Agrabah again. Jasmine noticed that her father wasn't like he used to be when he ruled. He was still kind, but he didn't talk unless spoken to and he didn't spend much time playing with his little toys. Those joys were gone for some reason, and Jasmine feared that it was a sign that he was showing his age. She looked at Cassim and wondered why Aladdin's father had to be so much younger than her own, but then again, she had known her father her whole life unlike Aladdin. Most of the time, Sultan couldn't think for himself, and Jasmine would have to leave Troy to attend to him. One day while the monarch was walking from the throneroom to his private chambers, he became light-headed and stumbled to the ground. Although he didn't fall badly enough to hurt himself, Jasmine was shocked to see him sitting on the floor in the middle of the hallway. "Oh, where is Aladdin when I need him?" she panicked. "All this pushing for reforming the poor is good and all, but he has been gone too long." "I'll be fine, my dear," said Sultan, breathing heavily. "Now, don't you worry about me. Can you please help escort me to my bedroom though, Jasmine? I seem a little weak." "Of course, Father," Jasmine comforted him. After Jasmine took her father to his room, she came to Cassim with a worried expression on her face. "I don't like this," she frowned. "What's wrong with him?" "Maybe he's coming down with something." "I doubt it. He's never acted like this before. If only Aladdin were here..." With that, she turned away and walked back to Troy's room. Cassim sighed as he thought about the situation. This wasn't what he needed right now. With all the thoughts about whether or not he should try to find his daughter or tell Aladdin, Sultan being ill was just another thing to worry about. He knew he was being selfish, but seriously, what was he supposed to do? Put others before himself? Sure, that's how royalty had been raised. It's always put the best of the people in the kingdom before oneself, but for a man who had lived on the streets and out in the desert his whole life, that was not the case. One had to do the best with what one had and look out for oneself, not worry about the rest of the world. Thinking this, Cassim felt more out of place than usual. Aladdin returned and joyously said that there was a new plan in progress for helping the poor in Agrabah. First, the guards would be sent out to count how many poverty-stricken homes there were, and then, depending on the level of their condition, a certain amount of money would be given to them each month for food and clothing. Of course, this was a huge success, and the people were prospering more than they ever had, but that was out there, outside of this elegant prison of marble and gold. Sultan's condition was worsening though. He had become ill with a very rare disease, and the cure was far away, so Aladdin and Genie left right away to search for it. Jasmine was far too worried to be in charge of the kingdom, so he left Iago in charge. Cassim heard nothing for hours until Iago suddenly flew into his room. "Cassim," he said in sorrow. "Something terrible just happened. Sultan is dead." "Dead? When?" "Just within the hour. I must inform the people at once and find Aladdin and Genie. Can you please watch Jasmine?" "Of course. The poor girl..." Iago nodded sadly and flew off. Cassim went to Jasmine's side and found her crying, which didn't surprise him much. He didn't know what to tell her. He barely knew this man, yet he knew that he was nonetheless her father, so of course she was quite upset. She didn't say anything, just kneeled there on the floor next to the bed with her face buried in her arms on the bed. The crying never stopped and only worsened as time passed. When Cassim finally tried to touch her, she jumped and bellowed a series of moans. After what seemed like forever, Aladdin returned. Cassim ran toward him and exclaimed, "Jasmine has gone into hysterics! She's going insane!" Aladdin ran to her room and trying to comfort her, put her in his arms. She stopped crying and fell asleep in his arms. In all this, Cassim looked away, ashamed that he hadn't been able to really help her. He was too caught up in trying to help himself. Full of shame, he stayed away from the others in his room the whole night. What kind of life was this anyway? Most people would like to believe that they are in charge of their own destinies, yet there are forces out there that take control of those lives, forever changing them. People don't like not being able to have control of things. It's always order, order, order, but nature favors disorder. So, all things move toward chaos, is that it? Cassim couldn't stop thinking about these types of things. Sure, he should be happy. He found his son, changed his status, lived in a palace, was free in more ways than he could grasp, and yet he was not happy. The death of Sultan surely would cause a lingering melancholia for a while among his family and friends, but they would move on. They had Troy, the newest member of their family. And they could have more children to bring them happiness. The void would never be fully filled because a lost person cannot simply be replaced by another, but at least they had that kind of hope. Cassim lacked it. Sure, he would have grandchildren, but with the birth of each new child, he would only be reminded of what he considered to be his greatest flaw: being an absent so-called father. He knew he had to find his daughter, but how? He figured that Feliah would still be mad at him, and he couldn't blame her. After all, he was the one who had left her all alone to raise this child. Where would she be now? He guessed that she would still be in Agrabah, but Agrabah was a rather large city. So, Cassim decided to wait until it was the middle of the night until he went outside. Nightfall finally consumed the entire sky, and Cassim quietly walked down the corridor and down the stairs to the outside. He left the palace walls and entered the marketplace, which was dead. No one was around except for a few homeless people sleeping on the streets. He walked slowly and cautiously down the main street, looking left and right for any sign of Feliah. He finally came to the outer limits of the city and spotted a woman leaning against a building. She was all alone, and she was almost hidden in the shadows. Could this be Feliah? Cassim approached the woman and asked, "Feliah?" "Cassim?" she asked. "Is that you?" "So, it is you, Feliah," he said almost scornfully. "Why are you here? Have you finally decided to come back to Hiyahmah with me?" "Well, I don't know exactly what I'm doing anymore." "You never did know what you were doing, Cassim. You left me after spending a night with me, and you never, ever came back. Do you have any idea what kind of hurt that caused? Do you know what it feels like to be left alone?" "Yes," he said sadly. "You may think that I have no heart, but trust me when I say that I do. When I left Carina and our infant son, it was only to find wealth for them. I had no idea that I would become so consumed in my search that I would leave them for twenty years. I was the leader of the Forty Thieves against my will, so I was forced to steal to survive. I was absolutely ashamed of the man I had become, and I thought about my family almost every night when I went to sleep." "Why didn't you ever return?" There was sorrow beginning to appear in the tone of Feliah's voice. "I couldn't live with my decision, with myself...It still puts me to shame. To look up at a palace and know you deserve more, to work so hard your whole life and get nowhere, to realize the unfairness of life that hurts so much...This is what causes greed. I know that now, but I did not know this until I found that my son was still alive. That revelation, that feeling that having a family brought back to me was so amazingly overwhelming that I couldn't believe it was true. Did I really deserve it? And to make matters even more complicated, my son is the sultan of Agrabah! Can you imagine that? Now, I live in a palace, a place where I don't belong. I know the importance of family, friends, being outside in the world, getting to know my surroundings...I understand now, and that is why I want to meet my daughter." "Cassim..." Feliah couldn't believe what she was hearing. This man had changed so much. He was no longer that foolish teenager she had known. "I think I understand, Cassim. I didn't know what you had been through...It's just that I always wanted my daughter to know her father. Please, come to Hiyahmah with me. You can start anew there...with us...with your family." "But Feliah...I have a family in Agrabah, too. I can't just leave them." "You will at least visit, right?" "Yes, I have to. I owe it to you and our daugther and myself. This is yet another thing from my past that I must face. You are right...I can't run away anymore." "So, you will come?" "Yes, but when will you leave?" "Tomorrow." "Tomorrow? But that's too soon. Surely, I will have to tell my son and his family that I am going on a trip. I need time to pack." "Oh, that's right, you actually have belongings..." Feliah sounded angry, and Cassim looked at her in sorrow. "I'm sorry, Feliah, but please, how about the day after tomorrow?" "Fine. I'll meet you here that evening at nine o'clock." "Okay, see you then." Cassim left Feliah alone in the darkness again and returned to the palace. He felt much better now that he had told Feliah the truth. Visiting Hiyahmah would hopefully bring closure to this problem, and then, Cassim could come back to Agrabah with a clean conscience. What if his daughter rejected him? He didn't know what to expect, but he knew that he had to face it.

~Chapter VI: The Trip to Hiyahmah~

"I have to talk to you, Aladdin," said Cassim, walking into the throneroom the next day. "What about?" Aladdin asked. "Well, I met an old...friend of mine a few days ago in the marketplace. Anyway, she wants me to come visit her for a few days." "Where?" "Hiyahmah." "Isn't that where you met Mom?" "Yes, but before that, I lived there while I was growing up. I haven't seen this friend for years." "Well, are you going alone? Do you want anyone to come with you?" "No, I'll be okay. I'm leaving tomorrow night, so I don't have long to pack. I'll talk to you later, Aladdin." "Um, okay..." Cassim strolled rather quickly out of the room. Why had he come in here so abruptly like that? What was he hiding? Aladdin had a hunch that his father wasn't telling him something, but he didn't know what. He simply shrugged his shoulders and continued on with the day's duties. In his room, Cassim hastily threw clothes on the bed. He didn't bother to fold any of them nicely, rather he just stuffed them into his bags. After doing so, the rest of the day dragged on. Why was this taking so long? His anxiety filled him entirely, and he felt ashamed that he had lied to Aladdin. All he had done for a while was hide things, and now that was coming back. When night finally settled in, Cassim slept restlessly. Another boring day passed, and when the sun was beginning to set, Cassim grabbed his bags and headed for the outer limits to the city. Feliah greeted him with, "It will take a couple of days to get there, so let's leave now. There's nothing here holding us back." Cassim only nodded and thought, No, Feliah...something is holding me back. So, together they headed out into the calm desert in the dark of the night, engulfed in the blackness with only their lanterns to guide them.

* * * * * * * * * *

Aladdin was bored. He knew he had things to attend to, but all he could think about was this sudden trip his father had decided to make. It really troubled him that Cassim would hide something like this. Lost in his thoughts, he started to fall asleep on the job. "Hey, Aladdin, are you sick or something?" he heard Iago's voice ask. "Huh?" he asked, shaking his head and opening his eyes. "No, I was just...thinking." "Oh? About what?" "My father. Why did he suddenly decide to leave like this? Doesn't he like it around here? I know I've been busy and haven't been able to see him much lately, but that doesn't mean that he's not wanted. You didn't even go with him, and I was sure that he wouldn't want to go alone." "Al, it's not that he doesn't want to be around you, it's just that he had to find his daughter--" "His daugther?! What are you talking about, Iago?" Realizing what he just said, Iago covered his beak and looked at the floor. "Oh-oh," he muttered. "I--" What are you hiding?" Aladdin demanded, coming closer to the bird. "No, please," Iago pleaded. "I promised not to tell..." "Iago, please," Aladdin begged. "You must tell me. He's my father." "I can't." "Yes, you can." "What difference will it make? I already said too much! Now, please, let me be." Iago was beginning to feel crowded and annoyed, along with ashamed and hurt. He was losing his temper for the first time in quite a while, and he was trying really hard not to explode at Aladdin. Aladdin grabbed Iago by the wind and pulled him really close to his face. "Look in my eyes and tell me the truth," Aladdin firmly said. "Stop it, Aladdin. You're scaring me. You're treating me like Jafar did! Demanding that I tell you something! What if I don't tell you? What are you gonna do? Kill me!?" "What?!" Aladdin was astounished by Iago's words. "I wouldn't kill you...I'm sorry. I don't want to hurt you. It's just that I am hurting, too. Can't you see? He's my father. How would you feel if someone hid something from you?" Aladdin was calm again and released the bird. Iago still looked stunned and glanced at Aladdin after a minute. "Okay...He met his old girlfriend in the marketplace a while ago, and she told him that he had a daugther. That's all I know, I swear. He didn't tell me any details. Now, if you'll let me go..." "Yes, fine...go ahead." Aladdin sunk back in the chair and rubbed his head because of the headache that was forming. How could Cassim hide something like this from his own son? I thought he was through with living a life of lies, thought Aladdin. Why didn't he just tell me? He's too much like me in some ways. I didn't tell Jasmine everything at first. Why is it that we lie to the ones we love the most?

* * * * * * * * * *

The sun was just beginning to set, as Cassim and Feliah rode into Hiyahmah on their single horse. The eye-sore view that lay before them was worse than Cassim had remembered it. Hiyahmah looked nothing like Agrabah. The so-called marketplace displayed numerous bare spots in between the few stands, where the merchants had looks of exhaust and frowns spread across their faces due to another day of deminishing sales. The streets were empty, and the buildings appeared run-down. "What has happened here?" Cassim murmured. "The sultan of Ahjarouh cares nothing about this little town. He stated that it was a terrible investment to govern this place." "Why don't you all form your own government?" asked Cassim. "This is your home, and you must nourish it." "Little towns like this are of little concern to the major kingdoms of the Seven Deserts," Feliah spat. "All they care about is providing for themselves. No one around here had the guts to do anything. They usually run away." Feliah glared at Cassim as she said this last part. He turned his head so he didn't have to look at her face. Once he had changed his view though, a dead farm along a dry river came into sight. Feliah continued walking across the vacant areas where crops had once grown until coming to the house. She opened the door and was greeted by silence. The room they entered was empty, except for a cheap wooden table with two chairs, a thread-bare rug on the floor, and some storage vases in the corner. "Sariyah!" Feliah called, her voice echoing through the desolate room. A young woman came into the room from an entrance at the left. She looked stunningly similar to Cassim, only she possessed those same light eyes as her mother. Her hair rested neatly in a ponytail at the base of her neck. Sariyah's eyes were cast down at the floor. "Yes, Mother?" she mumbled. "Sariyah, I brought someone here to meet you. This is Cassim, your father." Shocked by Feliah's statement, Sariyah looked up at Cassim. There was nothing but disbelief and fright in her expression. She opened her mouth slightly, quickly turned around, and walked out of the room. "Maybe you should talk to her," Feliah urged Cassim. "I don't know--" "She's your daughter, for heaven's sake! Now, go...talk to her." Cassim swallowed slowly, the thick saliva scraping down his dry throat. He entered the room where Sariyah sat on her bed. Seeing Cassim, she glared coldly at him and said, "You are no father of mine. If you were really my father, you would have been here to raise me." "Sariyah," Cassim softly replied, "I don't know what to say. I didn't even know I had a daughter." "How would you know what to tell me? You don't know me, and I don't know you. We might as well be two strangers passing on the streets." "You have every reason under the sun to hate me, Sariyah, but please, hear me out. I was only sixteen when you were born. Neither your mother or I knew what we wanted then." "My mother knew!" Sariyah yelled. "She always knew! She's no fool. She raised me alone in this house, watched her parents die, and saw her brothers and sisters leave. You were never around!" "I couldn't be around," Cassim said shamefully. "I had met and married someone else, and she became pregnant. We left Hiyahmah, hoping to start anew somewhere else. What Feliah and I had was a mistake! I didn't want to continue to live that kind of life, but I did..." Cassim trailed off. He buried his face in guilt into his hands, afraid to look at Sariyah. Sariyah's look of hate gradually becme one of sorrow, and she moved closer to Cassim. "Fa--Father," she trembled, "what happened to you?" "Her name was Carina, and our son was Aladdin. I felt ashamed that I couldn't bring success to our family, so I went out on a crazy hunt for the Hand of Midas. It was supposed to turn anything it touched into gold..." Cassim continued on for the next whole hour about his life as the Kind of Thieves and his reunion with his son. Sariyah slowly began to understand that her father was a complex man, who had lived mainly a life of shame and sorrow. "So, I have a brother," she said, astonished. "And he is the sultan of Agrabah?" "Yes," Cassim said breathlessly. "He is five years younger than you." "How is the condition of Agrabah?" "I must truthfully say that it is better than what you and your mother have here." "Everybody suffers in Hiyahmah," Sariyah mumbled with downcast eyes. "There is no other way of life." "There is so much more to life," Cassim stated wisely. "It's just that you have been deprived of it...for too long. My dear, I want to know the woman you have become. Perhaps you are yet another ripe fruit that has sprung from this old tree." "What are you saying?" "Sariyah, I am not a man to admire, but you got stuck with the man you see here as your father. I cannot go back in the past and change things, but we must grow together and stop dwelling on all the hurt from yesterday. You must come with me to Agrabah and meet your brother, you and Feliah both." "Father, thank you. You have filled a void that has existed for so long in my life." Daughter and father embraced for the first time ever. Just as they were doing so, Feliah looked in. She smiled in complete content and wiped a few tears from her cheeks. No words were needed now. The healing was taking place. Late that night, Cassim sat alone in the room he had first come in to when he entered the house. He thought long and hard about all that he had discussed with his daughter today. He felt before that Jasmine was like a daughter, but then he realized that he had a daughter of blood. He sorted through his feelings of content, sorrow, confusion, guilt, and anger. He had come here for closure, yet Cassim could feel it in his veins that yet another chapter of his life was unfolding. Aladdin and Sariyah...Sariyah and Aladdin. His mind repeated the names over and over again, but they did not fit together. Carina and... "Feliah!" he exclaimed. "Good evening, Cassim," she muttered. "What are you doing up?" "Cassim," she said, sitting down across from him. "I have to be truthful with you. I didn't think Sariyah would accept you, but when I looked in that room tonight, I saw the most beautiful thing I had since I had her." "She is a wonderful woman," Cassim remarked, smiling. "You have been blessed." "I didn't always think so," Feliah frowned. "When I saw this lovely infant child, all I could see was you. Her face reminded me so much of yours." "She has your amazing eyes, ones that can look beyond a man's outward charm and see all the pain and suffering inside." "Cassim, I missed out on knowing this part of you all those years ago. I always thought you didn't care, but I was wrong." "I have been a lonely man my whole life, never happy, never satisfied. It was always easier to just run from my problems, until they grew too large for me to handle. Feliah?" "Yes?" "Can you ever love me again?" "I already do, but not as a wife loves a husband. You proved yourself. There is no more hate." "I understand. We cannot have that kind of love, but we can be friends. One thing you will have to understand is that my love for a soul-mate is reserved completely for Carina. Allah rest her dear soul." "I--I understand," Feliah choked. "She was your only true love." Cassim could hear the pain in Feliah's voice. He took her in his arms and hugged her firmly, saying, "Hiyahmah will suffer no more and neither will you or Sariyah. You are both coming back to the palace with me." Feliah said nothing more and left Cassim alone again. In front of him on the table, a lonesome candle burned. It flickered, making his shadow dance on the wall and ceiling. He kneeled on the rug and faced west toward Mecca and prayed. "Oh, Allah, the all merciful and all compassionate, watch over my families as children of your own. Please help Aladdin forgive his father for all the lies and secrets he has kept, and please bring peace to those in Hiyahmah by issuing a resolution to this on-going poverty. I recognize and submit to you, Glorious Allah. Be my guide to becoming a better man." Cassim silenced and blew out the candle.

~Chapter VII: The Return to Agrabah~

"Has Al seemed a little quiet lately?" asked Genie. "Well, yeah," Iago replied. "He's probably just wondering how long Cassim will be gone." "It's been a week now. I dunno...For some reason, I think something's being hidden from us." Abu nodded in agreement, perched on Genie's shoulder. While they were talking, Aladdin rushed past the doorway. Seeing this, Abu scampered to Aladdin and climbed up to his shoulder. "Oh, Abu," he sighed. "I'm glad it's only you." Abu gave him a look that asked "Why?" 'I don't know. I've just been worried about my dad, and I really don't feel like being asked a million questions by someone about how I feel." Aladdin walked down a flight of steps that led to the throneroom. He seated himself on the throne and stared at the main doorway. Those doors sure had opened to many events of the outside world, even since he had first come to the palace. Why, those were the same doors he had come parading into the palace through when he had tried to impress Jasmine as Prince Ali over four years ago. And he remembered what it was like outside those doors. Maybe that was why Cassim had to leave...to connect himself with that part of his life again. Just as Jasmine was entering the room, the doors opened to reveal Cassim and two women. "Cassim!" Jasmine smiled, running to him. "You're back and you've brought your friends!" "It's good to be back," replied Cassim, avoiding eye contact with his son. "I'm Jasmine, Queen of Agrabah," said Jasmine, looking at the two women. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Your Highness," said Feliah, bowing. "Oh, there's no need for such formalities," giggled Jasmine lightly. "Here, we are all friends. May I have your names?" "This is Sariyah," replied Feliah, motioning to the shy woman behind her. "And I am Feliah, her mother." "It's wonderful to have you, Feliah and Sariyah. Now, if only my husband would come over...Aladdin!" Aladdin, not looking up, slowly approached the others. "A pleasure, I'm sure," he murmured, staring at the floor. "You'll have to excuse me...I feel a little...ill." "Aladdin!" exclaimed Jasmine. "What's wrong with you? You didn't even tell your father that I am expecting another child." "I'm sorry, Jasmine. I feel dizzy. I must go to my chambers. Show the guests to their rooms." Aladdin turned away and walked out of the room. Jasmine apologized for his rather rude behavior and showed the guests to their rooms. Cassim stood there alone for about ten minutes before deciding to visit Aladdin. He knocked lightly on the door, and when there was no response, he opened it and let himself in. "Aladdin!" Cassim called. "I just wanted to say congratulations on the conception of another child with Jasmine." "She must have been a good friend for you to suddenly run off," mumbled Aladdin. "What?" "You heard me, Father. Why did you go?" "I...look, Aladdin...I must tell you something--" "You mean you should have told me something!" barked Aladdin. "You lied to me! I know that truth because Iago told me everything! Why?!" "Aladdin, you don't understand--" "I am the sultan! Do you know the power that goes along with the title? Do you?! You lied to the sultan! I could inflict a thousand punishments upon you, but none of them would match the worst one of all: the hurt inside because a father lied to his son. I could throw away all the rank and power that goes with being sultan, and it would all come back down to this." "Aladdin, I'm terribly sorry. I wish you could see that I meant you no harm..." "But there is harm, isn't there?" "Aladdin," whispered Cassim, trying to place his hand on his son's shoulder. "Just leave," said Aladdin in broken words. He was fighting tears as Cassim left the room. Cassim sighed heavily and stopped at Iago's room. Cassim glanced into the room and saw the parrot on his bed. "I asked you not to tell," Cassim muttered and left before Iago had a chance to say anything. Cassim returned to his room and fell heavily on the oversized bed. He felt as if everything was falling apart. Why was it that when he tried to do something right, he had to feel so miserable? Cassim knew very well that he shouldn't have lied to his son, but he had been too ashamed of his past mistake to reveal to Aladdin that he had been with another woman before Carina. Cassim closed his eyes, trying desparately to fall asleep. Suddenly, an echoing, ghostly voice came from the center to the room, "Cassim..." "What?" he whispered in fright. "Who are you?" "Cassim," repeated the voice more clearly. "You have not forgotten me. I know you think of me often." A pale white form of a woman became more defined in color in front of Cassim. She was young and pretty, dressed in a light yellow gown. Her black hair had been decorated with flowers interweaved in braids and curls. Her whole form remained translucent, except for her eyes, which were dark and solid. "Carina, is that you?" Cassim could barely speak. "Yes, Cassim. Is it I, Carina, or more specifically, her spirit. Cassim, I have watched you for many years now, and I know what you have been through." "You--you have? Then why did you never come to me all those nights I was out in the desert with the Forty Thieves? Why did you die? Because of me, that's why." "Cassim, I was always with you. How else did you come this far? You had faith. You have been struggling for a long time now, but you now are on the right path. Do not stray from that path. You must work together with our son and your daughter to bring a better future to you all." "I didn't mean to doubt you, Carina. I'm sorry. I guess it's just that I often doubt myself. You would still be alive if I hadn't left--" "Cassim, please stop hurting yourself this way. Your pain will not go away until you stop dwelling on the past. Everything happens for a reason. Fate controls us; we don't control it. Look at what came out of your experience, Cassim. Aladdin is unlike any sultan that any kingdom had ever seen. He knows the life of the less fortunate. You know the same life. I have seen too how Hiyahmah suffers still. It is up to you and our son to work together to help them so they need not live the lives you two did. This is what life is all about, Cassim. We have all types of experiences, both good and bad, yet if we are strong enough to see through to the end, we can use what we have learned from our experiences to help the betterment of mankind." "Carina, you have always been in my heart, and you paid me this visit when I needed reassurance the most. Will you visit Aladdin, too?" "No, Cassim...He had you now. Show him that you are his father. The love a family shares far exceeds any force in the universe. Show this love to others. Cassim, Allah calls me back to the heavens. I must depart..." "No, Carina," he begged. "I need you...I love you..." "I will always love you, my love. I will return for you when it is your time." "When?" "Have faith...It answers all...Farewell..." "No, Carina..." She faded into the air, leaving Cassim alone with ananswered questions. "No..." Cassim wept for a while before he felt the courage to talk to Aladdin. He hoped that he could find peace tonight, so knowing that this was the outcome he wanted, he went to Aladdin's room and found him still there. The door was halfway open, so Cassim didn't bother to knock and went into the room quietly. "Aladdin?" he timidly asked. "What do you want?" he barked, not leaving the bed. "Please, Aladdin, I need to talk to you. You must know that I still love you. You may think that I have been hurting you because I don't care, but that is just not true. I lied because I was ashamed of myself, not of you. I am proud of you." "What do you mean, Dad? I thought you were through with grieving over the past." "It will never disappear completely, Aladdin. I could not let my daughter go on without knowing her father, as I could not go on without knowing you. I had to face my past, but now I am ready to move on. We must use what we have today to better tomorrow, and we have each other to use." "I understand. I was just upset, and I'm sorry for that. But what do you mean about the future?" "Aladdin, I have seen the levels of poverty in Hiyahmah. The sultan of Ahjarouh cares nothing about this little town. As sultan of Agrabah, I think you could help them." "Of course I will help them. I don't want others to suffer as we once had. I'll do it. I'll talk to the sultan of Ahjarouh." "Thank you." "No, thank you."

~Chapter VIII: The Planning~

The blank paper sat in front of Aladdin's eyes, as he sat at his desk, wondering what to write. How did one go about addressing a ruler from a land one knew little about? There had been many times in the past year when he had to simply write a letter of confirmation, approval, or rejection concerning matters presented by other rulers, but he had never been the one to start a plan that involved another kingdom. His main concern had been looking after the citizens of his own kingdom, and strangely enough, this was the first matter that came so close to home, yet it would also become his first foreign matter of action. Aladdin brought the quill down to the paper after much hesitation and began to compose to the Sultan of Ahjarouh a letter:

To the attention of the Sultan of Ahjarouh,

I am writing this letter in request that a meeting be arranged to discuss the condition of Hiyahmah. I have been informed by a few unnamed sources that you are in control of this small town and have found nothing but a worthless investment. Your time to discuss this matter with myself would be greatly appreciated, for I would like to find means to help the citizens of Hiyahmah. Your response to this letter is requested.

Sincerely, Sultan Aladdin of Agrabah

Aladdin reviewed the letter and sighed as he sealed the envelope. It left out so many of the feelings and thoughts he had toward this man, but he knew he had been right in the way he wrote it. He had to be diplomatic. Two long weeks passed before a letter was received. Aladdin took it hastily from the mail carrier and ripped open the finely crafted paper envelope. The handwriting appeared messy, as if he had taken no time at all in writing the letter:

Sultan Aladdin,

What you request cannot be granted any time soon. My schedule is occupied for the next few months. Hiyahmah is hardly worth your concern. It is a worthless town full of poverty and disease-ridden peasants. I would rather not waste my precious time on such trivial matters. You are foolish to want to help them, but I can understand why you would. Not only are you young and inexperienced, but you are not born of royal blood. I know the story. Now, forget this foolish plan.

The Sultan of Ahjarouh

Fury arose inside Aladdin. He stood up from his chair, crumpled the letter up, and threw it on the floor. "Blasted jackal!" he yelled. "How dare he!" Jasmine overheard her husband and came into the room. "Aladdin, what's wrong?" He pointed at the crumpled piece of paper on the floor. Jasmine picked it up and read it, and when she was done, she came tenderly to Aladdin's side. "Aladdin, I know what he said was wrong, but you mustn't let it hurt you so. You know it's not true." "But it is!" he exclaimed. "I was a streetrat, a person of poverty, just like the citizens of Hiyahmah. How can he put the lives of innocent people in danger?! Why I thought I could actually help them is beyond me." "You wanted to help them because you have a kind heart," Jasmine tried to reassure him. "Sometimes I wish my heart wasn't so open. I get myself into situations that I wouldn't have if I would have thought more with my head." "You don't really mean that. You can't fool me; I've known you too long for you to hide secrets from me, Aladdin. He is the one who will lose in the end because he never did the best for himself with what he had. He will never have the knowledge from the experiences like you've lived or the understanding that you've gained. All the diplomacy that goes along with being sultan is only for the sake of being proper, and even the sultan who is the most diplomatic and proper can be false. If all the titles, all the power, and all the fame is stripped away from a ruler and there is nothing left, then he is a failure, not a leader. In the end, Aladdin, the race is only with yourself. You don't go the entire distance of your destiny by fame, wealth, or power, you go by love. By helping others, you help yourself. You build relationships based on love and trust, and you lift yourself higher to real success, being happy with yourself. Aladdin, he will never have what you have." Aladdin's eyes looked glossy, as if he were about to cry, but instead, he blinked several times to prevent the on-set of tears. He took Jasmine lovingly in his arms and hugged her. "Thank you," he whispered. The evening came and Aladdin still remained in his study. He knew he could not let the sultan's words stop him. He was more determined than ever to help Hiyahmah because Jasmine had reminded him of why he was doing this. So, Aladdin wrote a strong letter:

In response to the Sultan of Ahjarouh,

Despite your remarks, I am more determined than ever to solve this problem. Not only were your words undiplomatic, but they were also immoral. Agrabah has a stong alliance with many surrounding kingdoms, and if I were to show the rude letter you wrote insulting me, I assure you that armed forces would be at your city gates. I am not here to dwell on my personal feelings though. Something needs to be done about Hiyahmah. This is no longer a request but a demand. You said yourself that you made a foolish investment, so what do you have to lose?

Sultan Aladdin

A month passed before any word was heard. As Aladdin grew more impatient by the day, he wondered if he would have to use force. He did not want war. When the letter came and he read it, he was both relieved and annoyed. Although the Sultan of Ahjarouh had reluctantly agreed to a meeting, he informed Aladdin that it would be in nine months. "Nine months!" exclaimed Cassim at the dinner table the night. "How much longer does he think he can let those poor people suffer?" "Can't you write back requesting a sooner date?" asked Feliah hastily. "I best not," said Aladdin. "I already had to struggle with this man to get him to agree." "But you're the sultan!" exclaimed Feliah. "I am doing the best I can. I assure you." "Aladdin, you are also just a person," added Sariyah. "Mother, you should be grateful for what he had done so far. I am." "But I am grateful," protested Feliah. "It's just that I hate to see this suffering still go on." "Trust me," reassured Aladdin. "So do I." With that last sentence, everyone around the table smiled. Although nine months seemed like a long time to wait, they all knew that the effort was well worth the wait. The bonds between Aladdin and Sariyah grew immensely, like they had grown up together as siblings. Likewise, Cassim and Feliah had come to terms with where they were now on the road of life. Cassim was finally satisfied. A couple of months later, Cassim was visiting Aladdin and Jasmine in their room. "Did you feel it?!" exclaimed Jasmine happily. "Yes," Aladdin smiled, placing his hand again on Jasmine's stomach. "Cassim," Jasmine encouraged, "come feel your grandchild kick." Cassim placed his hand next to his son's and felt a soft kick. He smiled. "Another beautiful child," he remarked. "Do you want to have a boy or a girl?" "Oh, it doesn't matter," laughed Jasmine. "Just as long as the child is healthy, but a girl would be nice." Cassim nodded with a smile and left the room to visit Iago. "Hi, Cassim," Iago said. "I haven't seen you around in a while." "Yeah, well, I was just talking to Aladdin and Jasmine about their next child. Can you believe it?" "I know it's hard to believe sometimes. It often feels like yesterday when Al would go on all those crazy adventures. Sometimes I think I'm still going to find myself waking up in his hovel. Boy, things have changed." "Yes, they have. I've finally stopped running away from my problems. Here we are, facing them together." "Running away," Iago softly laughed. "Gosh, I know what that's like, I remember a couple of years ago when we were just out in the marketplace on an unusually peaceful night when suddenly, everyone just stopped moving, except me. Then, this old man with a blindfold and a white, long beard came out of the sky. He knew my name somehow and told me that I had two possible destinies: to be a hero by defeating some monster or be 'banished to the realm of perpetual torment,' aka death. He left me with a medallion and told me I could only destroy this beast 'from within.' Once everyone came back to normal, I told Aladdin that we should go on a trip. I was so afraid that all I could think about was running away. Well, Al's idea of a trip was checking out a dark cave. I got scared, flew around the place with a torch, and lit the resting place of this monster, releasing him as he said, 'Many thanks for rekindling the flame of my existence.' Later, I said that the reason the beast was released was because 'Genie's magic had rekindled the flame of his existence.' They believed me and while the monster was ruling Agrabah, I ran away to a tropical island. There, I had a dream about seeing my conscience, and he told me that I had to go back and face my problem. I did and tried to face the monster 'from within.' I literally went inside the monster, just as Genie turned into something to destory the beast, making him look like the hero. The beast was destroyed because I came back to face my problem. I never realized until now though what that man meant by 'from within.' Sure, I had to literally go inside the beast to kill him, but I had to find the courage from within myself to go back and face that monster." "Wow," remarked Cassim. "What a powerful story. That strange man you talked about visited me once. He warned me about being cursed if I chose to search for the Hand of Midas, but anyway, yes, we do need to find the courage within to face our problems." Outside the door, Aladdin stood by Sariyah. They had been walking past the room when they overheard the conversation. "Our father sure is a complex man," remarked Sariyah. "Yes, Sariyah, he is. I'm glad he found a good friend in Iago to talk to." "Weren't you friends with him before our dad?" "Yeah, but it wasn't like what you heard here. Iago used to have a terrible temper. It seemed like every little thing would set him off." "I'm surprised you managed to stay friends." "Oh, it's not like he didn't care. He had his moments, and gosh, I was so amazed at how kind he really was behind all that anger." "Why would he have been angry?" "Well, maybe anger isn't what is really was. I think there was a lot of confusion and pain from trying to forget the way he was. He used to be bad." "No way!" "Yes, you'd never know it now. Aside from his tremendous willpower, he never betrayed me. There were times when I doubted his loyalty, but I learned really quickly that I was wrong. It was similar with my father. I didn't understand how a man could leave his son, but once I understood the reasons why he left, I knew it was only because of love. You have to really understand why is going on in someone's mind to know why they did something." "You're lucky that at least he knew you were born. He never knew me until now. It's still sad. I understand though that what my mother and he had was not the same as what he had with your mother." "I know it hurts," whispered Aladdin, "but at least you had your mom." "Yes." Sariyah thought about how unfair life had been for both her and her brother. She cried a little, but Aladdin hugged her gently. "It's okay," he whispered. "We have each other now, and that's what really matters."

It was now only two months before the meeting with the Sultan of Ahjarouh. Jasmine was going into labor just a couple days after Troy's first birthday. Aladdin paced anxiously in the hall outside the resting room that Jasmine was in. Cassim brought Troy to Aladdin, hoping the child would calm his father down. Troy smiled at Aladdin and clapped his hands. A few giggles came from his tiny mouth. "You silly guy!" laughed Aladdin. "Soon, Troy, you're gonna be a big brother." Just then, one of the midwives came out of the room with a small smile on her face. "A girl," she said. Aladdin entered the room with Troy in his arms and with Cassim close behind. Jasmine looked up from the blanket in her arms and smiled at Aladdin. "A girl," she whispered. "Yes, I know," he smiled. "Anna...Anna Lynn...What do you think?" "It's perfect." Troy bent over and extended his hand toward Anna. When his fingers touched her cheek, she opened her eyes and looked at her brother. Troy smiled and if Anna could smile, she would have been smiling, too.

~Chapter IX: The Journey to Ahjarouh~

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" asked Aladdin, as he sat up in bed that morning. "Don't worry, Aladdin," smiled Jasmine. "The servants will be here like usual to help me take care of the kids. I always liked being there for them as much as possible, but now I'll have to spend more time covering for you." "I'm sorry," he frowned. "I don't mean to burden you." "Oh, don't apologize, Aladdin. What you are doing is good. I'm glad you're doing it." Aladdin smiled crookedly, looking dreamingly into Jasmine's eyes. "This is why I love you so much," he softly said. "You are so understanding. Jasmine, even with kids, you still look as beautiful as the day I met you." She blushed and giggled. "And you, Aladdin, have never lost your charm. Deep down, you're still the boy I met in the marketplace...cute, funny, and handsome." Aladdin once again feel into a romantic daze. Just as they were about to kiss, a loud knock came from the door. Aladdin scampered to the door and opened it to see a servant there. "The horses and carriage are prepared," he dryly stated. "When can we expect your departure?" "In about two hours," said Aladdin. "Very well." The servant left and Aladdin prepared himself as quickly as he could. Before two hours were up, he was outside in front of the palace by the carriage. Feliah, Sariyah, and Cassim awaited Aladdin from inside the carriage, as he said his last goodbyes. "Remember, Jasmine, I'll be back as soon as I can. The advisers will help youk and Genie will be there, too. I love you." "Don't worry, Aladdin. Everything will be fine. I love you, too." They hugged one last time before Aladdin got on the carriage. The driver commanded the horses to go, and they set off for Ahjarouh. "Are you nervous?" asked Sariyah. "Who? Me?" Aladdin mumbled, looking at her. "Yes, you...well, all of you...because I am." "Yes, I am nervous," said Aladdin, "but we have to go through with this." Cassim and Feliah nodded. They had a long journey in front of them. They had to stop for the night and set up camp. There was still one day left to go. That night, Cassim sat with his son in one of the tents. "This kind of reminds me of the camps we had when I was with the Forty Thieves. The desert is so vast, lonely, and cold at night, but sometimes when everyone else had fallen asleep, I would lay there and stare at all the stars. The wind would blow just enough so I thought I could hear your mother's voice calling my name." "Really?" Aladdin said in surprise. "Yes, Aladdin, I promise that from this day on, there will be no more lies between us. Tell me, what did Carina say about me?" "Oh, Dad, it was such a long time ago. All I can remember is that she thought you were dead. And that dagger you had was your present to me. I didn't understand at the time, so I left it hidden for all those years. I watched Mom die when I was only four, but I never since then thought about my parents until right before the wedding. It suddenly struck me that I was a man now about to get married. Suddenly, I had to play a role that I knew little about. I never thought I'd find true friendship or love until I met Jasmine. Something else controlled me." "There are forces above us, Aladdin. Carina may be gone from this world, but her spirit still lives. She visited me a few months ago and told me to work together with you for the betterment of others." "So, that's why you asked me to try to help Hiyahmah. I wonder why she didn't visit me..." Aladdin sounded hurt. "Aladdin, I know it hurts deeper than anything you've ever felt pain for, but she knows that we have each other now. Think of how much pain my heart has been feeling all these years. Now you know how I feel." "I'm sorry if I didn't seem like I was sharing your pain. I've just learned over the years to keep the pain all bundled up inside. When you're a streetrat, no one cares to know how you're feeling. You have to be tough, but inside, it still hurts." "I understand exactly what you mean. All those years I spent as a thief were a waste compared to this last year with you." Aladdin smiled at his father before going to sleep. After night passed and another hot day sluggishly went by, the carriage arrived at the gates of Ahjarouh. The streets were cluttered with garbage and beggers. It was already late, so no merchants were out, and there was no crowd in the streets. Of all the cracked walls and eroded brick on the buildings, only the palace looked spectacular. The carriage pulled up to the main entrance of the palace, and Aladdin stepped off into the throneroom. An older man of about fifty sat on the throne. He was dressed in satin red robes and garments with an overly-decative turban on his head. His black-turning-gray mustache was thin and blended into his little, pointed beard at the tip of his chin. His eyes were narrow and went well with his long nose. He reminded Aladdin of a shorter version of Jafar. "Sultan Aladdin, I presume," he murmured, standing up. "Yes, Sultan, I am Aladdin." The sultan eyed Aladdin, inspecting his every move and gesture. His stony eyes looked at Aladdin's young body and nervous face and finally met Aladdin's eyes. "Say, you are quite young. Just how old are you?" "What does my age have to do with anything?" "If you must know, it has to do with everything, especially for a ruler. Experience...it comes with age." "I'm twenty-two." "My, you are quite a boy then. I still cannot believe that I am wasting my time with this visit of yours. Well, shall we get on with it? My servants will show you to your rooms in the west wing." Aladdin and the others blankly followed the servants and settled in their rooms. Aladdin came back to the throneroom shortly after, followed by Cassim. "Take a seat," said the sultan, motioning at a chair next to the throne. "So, who are these people with you?" "This is my father, Cassim, and the two women are my sister, Sariyah, and her mother, Feliah." "Why do you not say that Feliah is your mother, too?" "She isn't my mother. My mother is dead, but what does this have to do with anything?" "Everything, Aladdin, it has to do with everything. You must have brought them along for some reason." "Well, those unnamed sources I mentioned in the letter, these are them. They are from Hiyahmah." "Now I see why you have this sympathy for Hiyahmah. You are concerned about your family. How typical of a man who was a streetrat." "Don't you dare insult my son!" exclaimed Cassim, standing up. "Calm down, Dad," said Aladdin hastily, motioning him to sit down. "This concern them, but also all the others. Sultan, I have seen your city. You act as though you have no responsibility toward Hiyahmah because you rule Ahjarouh, but when I saw that the condition of your own kingdom was just as that of Hiyahmah, I couldn't help but to wonder what your intentions are. You call yourself a ruler, yet you do not rule with justice." "I rule with my own justice!" the sultan yelled. "Who are you to come into my kingdom and start making laws?" "I'm talking about humanity, not just one kingdom compared to another. I'm talking about morals that everyone breathing person is equally entitled to. I would know more about the life of the common man any day compared to you." "Since when did morals have to do with anything? Did you think I had a choice in being a sultan? I was born into it and raised to fit the role. I carry a heavy burden on my shoulders. To be a ruler is no easy task, and I see how the common man lives for himself, so I live for myself." "It's one thing to do things for yourself, but if you never help others, you are selfish. Helping others is the best way to help yourself. Please, let me help you." "What nonsense! You don't even know me. Why would you even want to help me?" "Because that's what I do. That's who I am." "My son is an amazing man," added Cassim. "Whether he is a streetrat, a hero, or a sultan, he is still Aladdin, nothing more, nothing less. Who are you?" "How dare you ask such a personal question! This is ridiculous! I will not sit here and listen to anymore of this nonsense. If you still care to discuss Hiyahmah, you can do it in the morning. That will be your only time." "But-" Aladdin was cut off. "Enough!" Aladdin and Cassim walked out of the room in frustration. "How can he just act like he doesn't care?!" yelled Aladdin. "I tried to help him, but he rejected me!" "You can't help everyone, Aladdin. I know it's sad, but at least you tried. I think he needs to help himself." They talked a little longer before going to sleep. Everyone was asleep except Aladdin. He lay on the hard mattress, remembering why he had come here. He did not want problems between Ahjarouh and Agrabah because of his dislike for the sultan on a personal level. He kept reminding himself that he really was a sultan now, and he was meant to be taken seriously. Sometimes I feel so unsure of what I'm doing. Am I too young? Those types of thoughts lingered in his head until he was finally able to fall asleep. The next morning, Aladdin once again had to face the sultan. This time, Feliah and Sariyah came as well. "I hope we can have a more civil discussion today than we did last night," the sultan stated. "I was hoping the same," remarked Aladdin. "Sultan, may I have your name?" "What does my name have to do with anything?" "Everything," Aladdin smirked. "Very well, my name is Hanwar." Hanwar managed a small smile, but he immediately removed it from his face. Aladdin didn't think it was forced, so the atmosphere became less stiff. "Did I just see you smile?" Aladdin asked. "I...uh, no...I don't think so." Hanwar was beginning to stutter and sound less phony. The others sensed that the sultan was hiding himself. "I didn't mean any harm," began Aladdin. "You shouldn't be ashamed to hide your feelings...Hanwar." Hanwar suddenly turned his gaze away from the others and looked out the window. He was looking at something that wasn't there, yet Aladdin had a strong feeling that this man was hiding more than he was revealing. He wasn't just the snobbish, selfish sultan that he first appeared to be. "I never wished for it," he said barely above a whisper. "I never wanted this burden...to live alone in this fanciful prison of marble pillars and alabaster walls. I had no choice though. Because I suffered and no one would believe that a man with wealth and power could suffer, I only wanted others to feel my pain...That's all." Everyone fell silent. They didn't know what to say. Suddenly, Aladdin almost felt sorry for this man. He spoke: "Is that what this is about?" "Yes, Aladdin. The truth is, I envy you. You had freedom to live your life however you wanted. You willingly accepted to be the ruler of Agrabah." "I didn't have complete freedom. Just because I lived on the streets doesn't mean I was free. I was trapped, too...trapped in a world of poverty and knowing that I would never be able to make my way in life with any success. Hanwar, I was lucky, I guess. A miracle called Princess Jasmine came into my life. She still believes that I showed her the world and opened her eyes, but she showed me something more valualbe than anything...She showed me love. Success isn't being rich; it's being happy with yourself." "People suffer in everyday life," began Sariyah. "My mother and I have seen it our whole lives. Commoners look up at a palace in shame because they know no matter how hard they work, thjey will never have the wealth of one who was born into it. Your eyes see more reality than anyone of royalty, for you see people dying from diseases or starvation, being robbed for every last coin, laboring for long hours in the blazing sun...The foundation of a city is built on the back of the common man, but a sultan should serve his people, just as they serve him. He should grant them protection if they give him serve. That is how the world works, even the Great Allah protects those who serve him righteously. That is real justice and real wisdom, and as my brother said, real success. Unfortunately, some people are so depressed that they turn to the life of a thief because of it." Cassim looked at his daughter as she said that last sentence. He sighed at her aned then turned to Hanwar. "She is right," he remarked. "I left Hiyahmah years ago in search for something more. I found myself in Agrabah without a shekel to my name. I left my family on a crazy search for the Hand of Midas and wound up becoming the King of Thieves, not because I wanted to, but because I had to." "You all have shared your true life stories with me. This is the first time anyone ever did that." Hanwar removed his turban and cape and went to the balcony. He stared in sorrow at his city, knowing that what he saw was his fault. After scanning the streets for a few moments, he turned around and faced Aladdin. "I will let you have Hiyahmah," he sadly said. "Perhaps you can do more good for its people than I have." Aladdin felt his sorrow fully now and went to his side. "Thank you, Hanwar, but you can't go on like this. Please, won't you join us in helping others?" Hanwar sighed heavily. "I--I just don't know, Aladdin. I made a bad investment in myself, not in Hiyahmah. How can I face the people I have harmed?" "Your mind is making you afraid, so listen to your heart." Hanwqar placed his hand over his heart and smiled. He gazed at the city one last time and turned to Aladdin. "It says yes."

~Chapter X: The Miracle~

"Thank you for your time, Hanwar," Aladdin smiled. "No, Aladdin, it is you who deserves the thanks. You have opened a part of me that has been hidden for so long. How did you manage to help this old fool?" Aladdin stopped smiling and shook his head. "Don't put yourself down. Everyone has their faults and problems, and sometimes they need someone else to help them realize that. I knew there was more to you than just a bitter sultan. You had to have reasons for acting that way." "You actually looked beyond my faults? Aladdin, I think you are the best thing that has happened to the Seven Deserts in a long time. You are breaking that old cliche that royalty is snobbish and selfish. We are people, too; it's just that the common man thinks we must believe me are gods." "Well, I never really imagined that I would be a sultan one day. I guess that goes to show that you never know what life has in store for you. So, when will we see you again?" "I will try to come to your kingdom within the next month. I'll have to find someone to look over Ahjarouh, but then, I will be there with you to work with those poor people." "Farewell then," said Aladdin, handing Hanwar a folded piece of paper. "What's this?" he asked, looking at his hands. "Open it later." With that, Aladdin joined the others on the carriage and headed home for Agrabah. Hanwar watched the carriage grow smaller as it rode off into the desert. The sun was setting at the same time, and for the first time in years, we noticed how beautiful the sunset really was. It felt like a promise that this day was over and tomorrow would be better. Hanwar couldn't help but to feel magic moving inside himself, lifting him up, as he watched in complete awe at the reds, oranges, and yellows in the western sky. When the sun disappeared, the stars blanketed the night sky's black velvet. He looked at them for hours as he sat out on the balcony of his bedroom. They were infinite opportunities shining, waiting to be reached, and he knew that by living his life the right way, he would one day reach them. The heavens seemed so mysterious and uncomprehendible to the people in this life, but he felt the slightest bit of understanding that night. There were forces that were far beyond and above humanity, that boggled the mind, but he accepted those mysteries and wonders whole-heartly, for he was now a believer...a believer in the magic of words, friendship, healing touches, smiles, children's laughter, wild horses running freely in the desert, love, and most of all, himself. Hanwar looked down at the folded paper and opened it: Things change, my dear friend. Whether they be for the better or for the worse, it is the experience that really matters. We do not go through life on one path planned out from the beginning. Sometimes we stray from it; sometimes we create a new path, but no matter where life takes you, remember that a true friend will always be there next to you. Hanwar's breath stopped for a moment, and he suddenly felt a wet warmth forming behind his eyes. It run down his cheeks, and he brought a trembling hand to touch it. His hand was covered with tears.

* * * * * * * * * *
"It really worked!" exclaimed Feliah. "Hiyahmah is getting better by the day!" She jumped like a little girl at a celebration banquet. The citizens of Hiyahmah, Ahjarouh, and Agrabah were gathered in the palace ballroom that joyous night to celebrate their prosperity and allied connection now. Their kingdoms had united after over a year of hard dedication on Aladdin and Hanwar's part. Now Agrabah was not the only city that had been blessed with Aladdin's great generosity. Everyone seemed to be there, except for Aladdin. "Aladdin," Jasmine began as she walked into their chambers. "What are you doing in here all alone?" Aladdin was standing in front of a mirror, just staring at himself. "I don't know, Jasmine. It all seems too good to be true. When I look at myself, I still see the same boy of seventeen years old who lived on the streets alone." "Aladdin, there's nothing wrong with the way you look. You're only twenty-three. It's not like you're old." "It's not that, Jasmine...It's just that, oh, I don't know. I should be happy. I should be there at the banquet with everyone else, celebrating this miracle." "What's wrong?" "It's all so overwhelming. Sometimes, Jasmine, I wish that I was still that boy you met in the marketplace six years ago. I lived a simple life, and now, everyone looks up to me like I'm some kind of god. I don't want them to worship me, Jasmine. I'm just a person like everyone else." "You are an amazing person, Aladdin. You are so much to these people, but to me, you are just Aladdin. Look at the beautiful children you have given us." Aladdin looked at Troy and Anna playing with wooden blocks on the floor. He went to them, and seeing their father, both of them ran to him. Aladdin hugged them tightly and said, "I love you both so much. You are my greatest treasures." "Love you, Daddy," giggled Troy. Anna smiled and made a few gurgling noises. She was still a little unsteady when she walked, being a little over a year old. Her hair was quite thick, and black curls topped her head. Troy was talking quite well by now and was a little troublemaker. "Look at them," said a voice from behind. "Huh?" asked Aladdin and Jasmine, turning around to find Cassim coming to them. "You four make such a wonderful family. Where do you suppose Anna got those lovely locks of curls from?" "Not me," said Jasmine. "My hair is as straight as came be. Aladdin's hair is a little wavy." Aladdin smiled and shrugged his shoulders. "Well, it doesn't matter to me," he said gratefully. "They are beautiful children." "Grandpa!" exclaimed Troy, running to Cassim. Cassim laughed and hugged his grandson. They were symbols of what he had missed out on with Aladdin and Sariyah. They continued to play with the children a little longer until it became time for them to go to bed. "Won't you come to the ballroom?" asked Cassim. "Dad, I just don't know," sighed Aladdin. "Jasmine and I were talking about this earlier. I just don't want the recognition of everyone cheering and clapping for me. I did the right thing because I care for others, but that should be enough. Why should everyone have to tell me what a great job I did when I know that I did it? I don't know. I think the feeling of knowing that I did the right thing is enough gratitude for me." "Oh, come one, son," proded Cassim. "It's just a celebration, that's all. Besides, Sariyah and Feliah will be heading back to Hiyahmah soon. You should say goodbye." Aladdin finally agreed and followed his father to the ballroom. He saw Genie, Abu, and Iago sitting at one of the tables and went to them. "Congrats, Al!" exclaimed Genie. "You've once again proven that you are the greatest hero in the Seven Deserts!" "Thanks, Genie, but don't mention it. I know what I did, but I don't need the recognition." Abu smiled, agreeing with his friend and jumped on to his shoulder. "Why are you being so modest?" asked Iago. "C'mon, it's not like this kind of thing happens every day. You should be happy." "I am happy," Aladdin replied, "but I don't need a big party to tell people that. Well, at least they are enjoying themselves." Sariyah and Feliah joined them and sat down at the table. "Thank you, Aladdin," smiled Feliah. "Cassim sure had an amazing son. I wouldn't mind if you were my son, too. What do you say? Will you be my honorary son?" "Feliah, your offer is very kind." Aladdin was truly touched by this. "Yes, of course. Your gift to me is more than enough. Thank you." He hugged her and turned to Sariyah. "Well, I found out that I had a little brother, but he isn't so little. He's a sultan with the biggest heart I've ever seen!" Aladdin laughed and hugged his sister. "You are welcome anytime," Aladdin added. The two women smiled one last time before leaving for Hiyahmah. Aladdin turned to Cassim and stared at him in wonder. "What?" asked Cassim. "I never realized what a great hero my dad was until he came back and showed me all this. Dad, you were right, there are no lies between us." Cassim smiled a little smile and hugged his son. "Aladdin, I couldn't have asked for a better man to be my son. So, is this night over?" "This day is over," began Aladdin, "but tomorrow is just beginning."

~Part II: Endurance and Endearment~

~Chapter I: The New Way of Life~

"Like this, Grandpa?" asked Troy. "No, no, Troy, you must have patience. Dondilon will not move steadily if you kick her too hard. Here, let me show you." Cassim gently brought his legs to the sides of the horse he was on at the same time. The horse started walking around the yard in a circle. He pulled the reigns to the left each time a corner came and finally stopped once he came back to when Troy was standing with his pony. "Oh, Dondilon won't listen!" exclaimed Troy. "She's too stupid to be a real horse! She's not even a horse. She's just a pony. When will I get to ride a real horse, Grandpa?" "When you're older, Troy. But first, you have to learn how to have control of Dondilon. She's more your size." "Why do I have to learn how to ride horses?" "They come in handy in many situations. Your father has that rug, but horses have been in our family for generations. My father taught he how to ride, and now it's time for you to learn. Besides, would you rather be inside with your tutor, studying history or math?" "Well, no...I hate that stuff." Troy wrinkled his nose at the thought of his tutor. He always made fun of the poor man, saying that he looked like a giraffe because of his long legs and neck. Troy tried once again to kick Dondilon in both sides, but she took off in a bolt, making the boy lose control. Just as Troy was on the wild pony, Genie and Anna came into the yard. "Look at Troy!" laughed Anna. "He'll never have control of that horse!" Troy stopped Dondilon after a couple more minutes and jumped off in a huff. He was dizzy and fell to the ground. "Whoa, that was something!" he exclaimed. "I'll never get the hang of it!" "Serves you right," Anna snickered, pointing at her brother. "You don't know anything about riding horses. Why, I was just playing a wonderful game called tag in the menagerie with Genie. He made all these pretend people, who just ran around. Genie, you're the best!" "Aw, Anna," Genie said, turned bright red, "you're too kind, but it was a fun game. Do you want to join us Troy?" "No thanks," he said, waving Genie off. "I'm not into childish games." Anna glared at him. "Children," began Cassim, "settle down. I think it's time to take a break from the fun. It's almost lunchtime, and you have a lot of studying to do this afternoon." "Oh!" Troy moaned. They went into the palace and joined Aladdin and Jasmine in the dining room. Aladdin looked at Troy and Anna in surprise. They looked a mess. "What have you two been doing?" he asked. "Riding horses." "Playing tag." The words came out of their mouths at the same time. Aladdin just smiled and turned to Jasmine. He gave her a look that said, "Kids!" As they were about to eat, Iago and Abu joined them. Troy went up to them and teased them a little. "You guys are late!" he yelled. "Where were you?" "What does it matter, Troy?" asked Iago. "I should ask where you were. You look a mess." "Yup, well, I was riding a horse," he said proudly. "One day, I'm gonna be the best!" "You didn't sound so confident outside," remarked Cassim with a sly smile. "Well, who cares...I will prove myself one day." "Maybe in like ten years!" laughed Anna. "Troy, you act like you're all grown up, but you're only seven! You are so immature. Why don't you just admit it?" "Oh, really, Anna? Well, you're younger than me. You're only six!" "Okay, children," said Jasmine calmly. "I think that's enough." The rest of the meal continued in noise, despite what Jasmine said. Troy and Anna went to their respective studies and joined their tutors for more lessons. Aladdin and Jasmine were to their chambers to relax. "Sometimes, Jasmine," said Aladdin, "I can't believe how old they've gotten. It seemed liked only yesterday when they were born." "I know what you mean," Jasmine smiled, reflecting on the past eleven years they had known each other. "One day, Aladdin, they'll be all grown up." "Too soon," he said, looking in the mirror. "I wonder if Troy will ever grow up. Sometimes I think he'll be that way forever, but then, I realize that I was a lot like he was when I was a boy. I liked freedom. I often miss our days of adventure." "Me, too," smiled Jasmine. "Well, we will give them the freedom they deserve. They have parents who have seen both sides of the world. I don't want them to be trapped like we were. They've already seen to the marketplace several time and met many of the local families with kids. At least your father is around to show them the world when we are busy." "Yes," Aladdin replied. "I'm so glad that he decided to say with us. I miss Feliah and Sariyah a lot though. The last time we saw them was over a year ago..." "They will be there for a long time," assured Jasmine. "Now that Hiyahmah is doing so well, they have the money to travel to visit us." Aladdin and Jasmine went back to working for the rest of the day. Nightfall came and they were outside in the menagerie, enjoying the calmness of the serene atmosphere and placid night. The garden always stayed beautiful all those years. Jasmine kept it that way in remembrance of her father and mother, for it was where she had spent her life as a child. It was only after the children had fallen asleep when they had time to themselves. Everyone else was in their rooms, preparing to go to sleep, but whenever they had the chance, Aladdin and Jasmine were in the garden. They looked in wonder at the gates that led to the outside. Suddenly, a strange sound could be heard. It started off low and full of vibration, but then, it became quite high and pierced their ears. A pale woman appeared there in front of them. She just stood there and stared at them. Aladdin held Jasmine, too afraid to move. "They are coming," her arid voice murmured. "They told me not to leave, but oh, the pain, the pain grew too intense to handle. Beware, they will come for your most precious treasures...They steal what matters most. They...they stole my...my..." She faded into thin air. For a few moments, neither Aladdin nor Jasmine could speak. "What? Who was that?" Jasmine whispered in fright. "Did you see it?" "Yes, Jasmine, I saw her, too. I don't know..." They returned to the inside of the palace in fear that night. Aladdin had faced many monsters and forces of evil in his days, but for some reason, this mysterious figure really scared him. It was more than just a feeling of fear; it was the type of fear that overtook one's whole body and mind. He couldn't sleep that night. The most precious treasures...Those words could not escape from his mind. They haunted his dreams. This was Fear.

~Chapter II: The Disappearance~

"Will you be leaving soon?" Aladdin asked his father. "Just remember that the kids need to be back in seven days." "We'll be going as soon as they're ready. Gee, Troy is certainly excited about this." "Well, they will finally get to explore other places outside of the city walls. That would be enough to make me excited." Aladdin smiled contentedly as he recalled his many adventures from his youth. Jasmine and he had decided to remain quiet about the mysterious woman who had appeared to them in the garden a couple weeks ago. They didn't want that kind of gossip among the servants. If anything would happen, they would be prepared to face it on their own. Troy came galloping down the stairway with a small pack on his back and dressed in what he called his outdoor clothes. He ran to Cassim and almost fell when he reached him. "I can't wait, Grandpa!" he anxiously exclaimed. "Whoa, take it easy," Cassim lightly laughed. "We have plently of time." Anna followed a few minutes later and stood by her brother like she was a proper lady. "What took you so long?" Troy spat at her. "I'll have you know, Troy, that I was preparing properly for my outing." "This isn't an outing! It's an adventure, and you wearing that icky pink silk clashes with my rugged brown outfit. I'm prepared, not you!" "Children," Cassim intervened, "can I please have a word here? Now, Anna, your dress is very pretty, but I'm afraid it's not the kind of outfit for this trip. And this is to be a learning experience. You will be learning much about your family history, so I don't want to hear this constant fighting, okay?" The children nodded their heads obediently, and Anna ran off to change her clothes. Once she returned, they said their goodbyes and left. Troy and Anna shared the pony that Troy had been practicing on. The day was still new as they left the city gates. "Where are we going, Grandpa?" Troy excited asked Cassim. "It's a surprise," was all he said. "Now, save all that energy for the trip. We still have two long days ahead of us." Troy silenced himself for the next few hours until they arrived at an oasis. He was the first to go running toward the water. He splashed the cool water over his face and drank it like he would never have another chance to drink again. Anna, somewhat indifferent to the situation, joined her brother's side and calmly cupped her hands, dipped them in the water, and drank. "It feels good, doesn't it?" asked Troy. "Yes, it does," replied Anna. "How does this feel?" Troy splashed Anna in the face. Fury grew across her face. "Why, you! How dare you!" Anna brought her hand to the water and splashed Troy back. "Ooh, that feels good. Let's go for a swim." "Okay!" Just as they were about to jump into the water, Cassim yelled, "No, kids!" "Why not?" demanded Troy. "Don't you remember what your father told you?" "About what?" "About the time he and his friends went swimming in an oasis and got trapped underground by the Al Muddi." "But this isn't the same oasis!" argued Troy. "You don't know what could happen. If you go looking for trouble, you're going to pay the price." "I don't understand you!" yelled Troy. "Why are you being so mean?" "I am not being mean. I'm only saying this because I love you. I wasn't there for your father and look at all the times he almost got killed." "But he didn't!" "Yes, maybe he was lucky, but luck only gets you so far." "You're scaring me, Grandpa," whimpered Anna. Cassim looked at the helpless girl. His face softened as he went to her. "I am sorry," he sighed. "Sometimes I forget that you are only children. If you would have lived the lives of your father or myself, you would understand. The world is a dangerous place and can really hurt you if you're not careful. It happened to me. I just don't want it to happen to you. You see, that is why we are taking this trip--to learn together about where we came from and who we are." "I--I think I understand," said Troy. "I'm sorry." "Oh, Grandpa," smiled Anna, "you have us. You'll always have us." "Yes," Cassim reflected, "always." They remained there a little longer and continued on until nightfall. After setting up camp, they all fell asleep with no problems. The next day came, and they were soon on the move again. Around mid-afternoon, the seashore appeared, and it was lined with mountains. They brought their horses to the edge of the shore and remained there in awe for a few minutes. "It's beautiful," said Anna, watching the sun reflect off the rippling water. "Where are we?" asked Troy, looking at his grandfather. "At a place I've tried very hard to forget." "Then what are we doing here?" "I had to take you here. It's a part of my past, a place where I spent many years." Cassim turned his head away from the children and looked out over the calm waters. He swallowed hard and raised his right hand. Words he had heard years ago echoed through his head: "Your heart will sink just like that ship if you leave and come back to find them missing." He stood there another minute lost in thought before yelling, "Open semame!" The sea parted and Cassim told Troy to follow as quickly as possible. Once they reached the inside of the mountain, they sighed in relief. The smell of air that had been cut off from the rest of the world for many years was strong throughout the den. Cassim looked at the ruins of the buildings that lined the walls. A look of pure disgust covered his face until he came to the spot where the fire used to burn. Sorrow consumed his now. As he continued to stare at the spot, Troy's voice suddenly asked, "Is that you, Grandpa?" "Huh?" asked Cassim, turning around to face the children. A colossel painting of Cassim when he was younger handg on the wall. He could barely see it, for the only source of light was from a small opening in the rock. He lit a torch and came closer to it. There were three long rips down the middle of the portrait. Cassim knew who they were from, too. "Yes, that was me as the King of Thieves. This was the very place I lived for twenty years with the Forty Thieves. You know the story. That spot right there is where your father first met me," said Cassim, pointing to a place on the floor. "It is so neat to actually be here," remarked Troy. "I've heard those stories my whole life, but now we're actually here, seeing where all this happened." "Where's the golden ship?" questioned Anna anxiously. "Follow me," murmured Cassim. They went down one of the many tunnels until it ended. "There's nothing here!" exclaimed Troy. "Hold on a minute," replied Cassim. He grabbed a pin out of his pocket and inserted it in the respective slot on the wall. The wall opened to reveal the room that Cassim had kept secret unti lhe met Aladdin. They walked to the edge of a cliff that dropped straight down to the waters below. He held the torch out over the cliff, and the ship's gold glimmered at the light. "It's so beautiful," remarked Anna. "It's too bad it has to sit there all the way at the bottom of the sea like that." "Imagine how rich the man who could bring it back up would be!" exclaimed Troy. Cassim looked at the boy with disappointment in his eyes, but there was something much deeper that he felt. Fear. What you say is addressing greed," said Cassim sternly. "Greed is the worst monster of them all. You take and take until everything that truly matters is taken from you. The key to truly living lies in giving. You know that." "What's wrong with just wanting something?" asked Troy. "When what you want is gold, your heart has no room for love, and the love you did have only turns bitter and separates you from the ones you love." Troy was silenced. When nightfall came, they fell asleep in the den. Anna was somewhat frigtened of the place. She kept her eyes open, staring at the blackness. When she was almost asleep though, she heard a faint noise of weeping. Wondering what it was, she stood up and followed the sound. A woman dressed in plain clothes was seen leaning against the wall with her head buried in her arms. "Lady, what is the matter? Why are you crying?" whispered Anna. "The lady looked up at Anna. She wiped her tears away and stared at her. "Who are you?" she softly asked. "I'm Anna, Princess of Agrabah." "You are a beautiful child. Do you have a little doll at home that you rock in your arms?" "Yes." "Are you her mommy?" "Yes. Are you a mommy, too?" Troy suddenly joined his sister. "Anna, what are you doing here?" "I'm talking to the nice lady." "You don't even know her," Troy whispered in Anna's ear. "I'm sorry," said the woman. I mean you no harm. Who are you, young man?" "I'm Troy, her big brother." "You are very brave. You were watching out for your sister." "I am?" Troy asked. "Why, yes. I am brave." He smiled proudly. "To answer your question, dear Anna," continued the woman, "I was a mommy, but I lost the baby." "Where did you lose him?" asked Anna. "No, I mean that he died." "Oh," said Anna sadly. "I need a child," said the woman desparately. "I'm sorry," they said, a bit frightened. "Please, come with me and be mine. I--I need you." She tried to grab the children, but they backed away. "No," whimpered Anna. "I have a mommy." "You're crazy!" yelled Troy. "I'll tell you what's crazy!" exclaimed the woman. "To have your children take from you!" She grabbed her cape and flug it over Anna and Troy. They all disappeared.

~Chapter III: The Truth Revealed~

The wails of a hundred children were heard in the flames. A lonesome woman ran desparately in the crowd. Her tears fell heavily down her blackened cheeks. She screamed at the people, "I told you they would come, but you did not listen! They came before me and warned me that they were coming to take the children in the night! They that what matters most!" She was pushed aside to hear the crowd matter, "She's insane. She burned down the orphanage because she was jealous." "She lost her child and only made it look like she loved those orphans." The orphanage burned until nothing was left. The helpless woman sat alone in an alley, crying bitterly. "No, you are all wrong. You don't know what it's like...to lose..." She stopped and pulled out a dagger and stabbed herself in the heart.

~

Cassim shot open his eyes and sat up, covered with sweat. "Children?" he whispered. When there was no response, he started to panic. He felt around and saw the empty places where they had been asleep. Knowing something was definitely wrong, he lit a torch and began searching the entire den. Cassim continued to search through the night and into morning. After many hours passed, he felt sick to his stomach. The over-powering fear inside him was making him nauseated. Cassim felt the room spinning as he fell to the floor. "The dream," he whispered, "the dream was real." He wasted no time and got on his horse. Troy's pony followed as Cassim headed back to Agrabah as fast as he could. In record time, Cassim arrived in Agrabah. The stairs leading up to the throneroom stood right in front of him. He jumped off the horse and ran inside. "As you can see, Sultan," one of the advisers dryly stated, "we need to--" "Aladdin!" Cassim exclaimed. "Dad?!" replied Aladdin in surprise. "Anna and Troy...they are gone...I don't know how..." "What happened?" asked Aladdin in fear, coming to his father. "I was asleep two nights ago, and I had this really strange dream. It was quite disturbing in fact. An orphanage was burning down, and thy dying cries of the children could be heard. An unfamiliar lady ran about the streets in a craze, yelling, 'I told you they would come, but you would not listen!' The crowd ignored her, saying she burned down the orphanage in spite of losing her child. She said something about the children being taken, taking 'what matters most.' Then, she killed herself." Aladdin turned plage and didn't move for a while. When he finally worked up the strength to speak, he told the advisers to leave. "That can't he," he whispered. "What?" "That woman in your dream...a few weeks ago, Jasmine and I saw her in the garden. She said..." He did not have to continue. They both knew what had happened. "Wha--What should we do?" stammered Aladdin, staring blankly at the wall. "We must tell Jasmine at once," advised Cassim. "Yes, she said she would be in the garden." Aladdin and Cassim ran as quickly to the royal gardens as possible. Jasmine was facing away from them, looking dreamingly into the water of the fountain. "Jasmine?" asked Aladdin, touching her shoulder softly. "Oh, Aladdin," she smiled. "I wasn't expecting you out here. Why aren't you with the advisers?" "I have to tell you something," he said as calmly as possible. "My dad came back just minutes ago and--" Jasmine turned to see Cassim. She smiled contentedly. "Oh, you're back early. I'm glad you made it back safely." "No, it's more than that," continued Aladdin. "It's Troy and Anna..." Jasmine noticed how serious the expression on her husband's face was. His eyes were full of worry, sadness, confusion, and most of all, fear. She had only seen Aladdin like this in the eleven years she had known him a few times. She looked desparately at Cassim, hoping he would say something or do something to make this pain go away, but the same expression was spread across his face. "What?" she quickly asked. "What is it?" "They are gone, just disappeared," frowned Cassim. "The lady in the garden--" began Aladdin. "Gone? What lady?" she stammered. "The one we saw in the garden a few weeks ago...She warned us about something..." "She was warning us abou this, Aladdin, but we did nothing. What kind of parents are we?" Jasmine was in tears by now. Aladdin hugged her closely and tried to calm her. Cassim joined the hug in silence. "It's not our fault, Jasmine," whispered Aladdin. "You know that. We've been through a lot in our time together, and I assure you, we will find them." "But how do we even know where to begin?" she asked hopelessly. "Well," Cassim began, "perhaps my dreams can explain some things."

* * * * * * * * * *

"It says here that in 685 A.D., the orphanage on the outer limits of Agrabah burned down in a tragic fire. The cause for the burning was never found, yet many people speculate it was planned by one of the care givers who worked there from the start. Her name was Cahina, and she was found dead shortly after the fire, after she ran about the crowd, screaming about warnings from some unknown sources that the fire would occur." Aladdin reviewed the page of the history book once again. "This is identical to your dream, Dad," began Aladdin. "So, the woman who appeared in the garden and in your dream is Cahina, so she is not the one who took Anna and Troy. Whoever or whatever took them is the same thing that took the lives of those children over one hundred years ago. We must find this Cahina...somehow."

~Chapter IV: The Final Battle~

"What do you know about this, Genie?" asked Aladdin. "Well, for starters, we're not completely out of hope. If this woman appeared to you before, then surely you can find her again." "But where?" insisted Aladdin. "Well, let's see here..." A rather large book appeared in front of Genie, and reading glasses rested on the tip of his nose. "Uh-huh," he began, "just as I thought...the very location of this tragedy, right on the edge of Agrabah." "We have no time to waste," said Aladdin. "Come on, guys, let's go." "Aladdin, wait," said Jasmine. "What?" "Who will watch the city?" "I'll let the advisers know. Now, Carpet, we need to leave as soon as possible."

* * * * * * * * * *

It was already late afternoon by the time they arrived at the scene of the tragedy. The nearest buildings were at least one hundred feet away, and thick, dead shrubs lined a fence that closed the place off to the common passerby. Carpet of course had no problem flying over the fence and landed in the barren yard. The air felt abnormally heavy, as if the humidity were high, and this, they knew, was very unusual in the desert. Nothing was even there except a stone marker, which read: "In sad remembrance of the children, whose lives were lost here on September 3, 685." Aladdin looked at Jasmine as her eyes filled with tears. "How...horrible," she trembled. "Aladdin, what if...what if..." "No, Jasmine," said Aladdin in a comforting tone, stroking her cheek with his hand. "That won't happen. I won't let it." He didn't feel so sure though. He lifted his gaze to his father. Cassim looked so wise even in thuis situation. Aladdin wanted to cry and run to his father like a little kid and hear from his father's mouth that everything would be fine. He had never felt this way in his entire life, for he never had a father to do this to. He didn't even know what a father really was until he had become one, and that, he felt, was why he was feeling this way. "You know what we have to do, Aladdin," said Cassim. "Yes,"replied Aladdin. After much hesitation, he called, "Cahina! Cahina, please, come out! We need to talk to you!" The place sat still. The others stared at Aladdin as he fell on his knees. "Please," he whispered, "you're our only hope. I know you have been hurt, but please, Cahina, we are hurting, too. We can help each other." "At least you had your children," said a faint voice. "Huh?" asked Aladdin, raising his head. A translucent form of a young woman came toward them. She looked worn-out and depressed, just as she had looked that night in the garden. She came right next to Aladdin and looked at the small group. "You have nothing to fear," she began. "I will not hurt you, and I tell you the truth when I say that I did not burn the orphanage or take your children." "What caused the burning?" asked Aladdin. "I loved those children like they were my own. When I was quite young, I too bore a child, but he was born dead. I thought I would never again know happiness. That is, until I saw that there were also children without parents. I dedicated my life to the orphanage, caring for those children with all I had. Then one night, I awoke to find myself surrounded by several women. They cried out to me, telling me the horrors they had suffered because they too had lost their infants at birth. They told me to join them and take the children, but I refused. They were ghosts, trapped forever on Earth because they refused to accept what had happened. I begged them not to harm innocent children because of what they had been through, but they grew furious and could not see it any way but their own. You see, they take and take, but do not give. Now I am a rebel among them, and every time I try to escape, it becomes more difficult. Sometimes I think I should have long ago given up." "I am sorry," frowned Aladdin. "So, you were only trying to help us, but why us? Why our children?" "Oh, Aladdin, don't you see? They know who to strike. Those who are fighters will find that their greatest strengths are also their greatest weaknesses. They know very well how you were given wealth and power, despite growing up with nothing. They don't understand how anyone with nothing should take and take and have children who are royalty, so they figured that something had to be take from you--your children." "But that's absurd!" exclaimed Jasmine. "Aladdin had given more to Agrabah than anyone! He is not a man of greed. He is a man of love!" "They don't see it that way," said Cahina softly. "Just like no one could see who I really was. They all thought I burnt down the orphanage, but I never did." "Aw, the world is a tough place, isn't it?" mocked a voice. "It's just not fair," laughed another insanely. "People are just pigs, aren't they?" "Gee, Cahina, you are still playing this game of Hide and Seek?" The voices circled around them. At first, nothing could be seen, but as the voices became louder, the ghostly forms of many women appeared around them. The women stopped moving and stood in a tight circle around the group. Anna and Troy were with them, but they were hold back. "Mommy! Daddy!" they cried. "Give them back!" yelled Aladdin. He couldn't take any more. "Why?" asked the one woman. "So you can have more possessions?" "They are my children," insisted Aladdin. "I love them." "Love...hmmm, that's an excuse many people use to explain their actions. Just like your father left your mother and you out of love, huh? To provide for you, huh? And what happened?" "Your father," mocked another woman, "is a wicked man. Ask him the real reasons why he left. Like was unfair. The sultan had everything, and he wanted it, too. Imagine the wealth! Yes, take and take..." "Then his son gets luck. Yes, marrying a princess will surely make him look good. Rich at last. That's why your father stays with you now. Ask him, Aladdin, where was he all those years when you were a child? Ask him!" Sweat was running feverishly down Aladdin's face. He looked at the helpless faces on his children, at Jasmine's tear-stained face, and finally at Cassim. No, he thought. They're wrong. I love Jasmine for who she is. I never wanted all this... "Dad?" he asked. "Aladdin." "You--you did love me, didn't you?" "Aladdin, how can you ask me that? You know the answer." "Tell me." "But you already know--" "Please, Dad," he begged. "Don't do this to me. Just tell me!" Cassim came closer to Aladdin and hugged him tightly. "Aladdin, I have always loved you. I know I've done a lot of wrong things and made many bad choices in my life, but I have always chosen to love you." Aladdin smiled tenderly at his father. "I'm sorry, Dad," he whispered. "It just seems like they know where to aim." "My husband," began Jasmine, addressing the women, "loves me for who I am. He has saved not only my life many times but also the whole city. Aladdin has given all he has to everyone, and you have no grounds to bac up your accusations, nothing but jealousy that is." "Jasmine," said Aladdin gently, "I have to handle this." "You don't understand!" yelled one of the women. "We gave up our babies..for what? Why?" "I can't answer that," mumbled Aladdin, "but I can tell you this: The reason you are still here after death is because you never accepted what happened. If you would just take it for what it is, you would surely find a place in the heavens among your children. They've been calling for you for a long time, but you have been so focused on your revenge, you haven't heard them. Look for yourself..." At that moment, the clouds parted, and a bright light came shining down upon them. They were all beyond words, for this was an act of something much more powerful than humankind. This was divine. As the light poured down, it showered each woman with a purity undreamed of. It was calming, refreshing, and enlightening all at once. As a smile spread across each face, each woman faded into the light until Cahina was the only one left. "Thank you, Aladdin," she smiled. "It seems now that I am ready to join the others." She too faded away, and the light disappeared. Everyone stood there in awe for many minutes. "Dad, what was that?" Troy asked Aladdin. "I don't know, to be honest," smiled Aladdin. "But whatever it was, it was beautiful." "Let's go home," said Jasmine. "I think this is over now." "But is it really over?" asked Anna, her eyes widening. "Or are there still many adventures out there?" The sun was just starting to rise over the desert. Thy sky showed off its gorgeous array of colors, and the stars were still visible in the western sky. "I think," began Cassim, "that is new day is just beginning, but even in the blackness of night, billions of opportunities shine. So, this is what true living is..." "I guess so, Dad," laughed Aladdin lightly. "Knowledge of what we've experienced and love for one another makes us realize that the key to life is giving." "I couldn't have said it better myself," added Cassim. "Having you as my son makes me proud to be alive." With that, the sun rose higher and stretched their shadows over the land, promising a new day.

~Part III: When the Children Grow Up~

~Chapter I: The Wedding Shower~

"Come dress for your brother's wedding shower," said Jasmine as she stood in the doorway of Anna's room. "I don't want to go to his stupid shower. It's his wedding. Let him enjoy it." "Anna! Why must you act so sour toward Troy? He's your brother." "Yeah? And I'm his sister and nothing but a lonely princess. Do you really think any of this matters to me? I'll never be ruler of this city!" "Anna...oh! Fine! Be like that!" Jasmine left the room rather angered by her own daughter's refusal. Anna had always been the harder child to please. She appeared selfish and stubborn, but there was something much deeper...a need, a need to be loved. Not the way her parents loved her, but the kind of love shared between two people who confide totally in each other, trust in each other. She had grown up in an environment that was always clean and healthy. Her parents were undoubtably meant for each other. They married because of love, and now her own brother was about to do the same thing. How had he grown up so fast? Anna looked at herself in the mirror. Her curly hair went free in all directions, and she sighed as she tried to pull it back. As more time passed, Iago came in her room and tried to cheer her up. He had always been good to her, and since she could never refuse to give in to him, she finally agreed to join the party. Why, the silly bird had told her he would fall in love with her if he were human! Anna finished pinning her hair back and placed her crown on gracefully. She practiced her smile and left the room. Once she arrived at the ballroom, she spotted Troy standing with his fiancee, Clara. They were being attacked by guests. Anna nervously pushed through the crowd until she was next to the happy couple. "Oh, Anna," smiled Clara, "how nice of you to join us." "Hey there, Sis," teased Troy. "What long you so long?" "Uh, hair problems," lied Anna. "Oh, I know what that's like!" laughed Clara. "What are you talking about?" asked Anna. "Your hair is beautiful. You've got such straight, soft hair." "Oh, it's not beautiful," blushed Clara. "Yes, it is," cooed Troy, looking Clara in the eyes. "Just like you are very beautiful..." "Oh, stop!" flirted Clara. "Uh, I think I'll leave you two love birds alone," said Anna. She departed and sat at one of the tables the farthest away from everyone else as possible. The whole situation made she sick. They were so deeply in love and weren't the least bit afraid to show it. Being the princess though, many people she didn't even know approached her, asking her if she was proud of her brother. An elderly man with a white beard came to her table and looked like he was lost. "Can I help you, sir?" asked Anna dryly. "Is this seat taken?" his raspy voice asked. "No." He sat down and coughed. He placed his cane against the table and looked at Anna, squinting his eyes. "You look familiar," he said. "You are the princess, aren't you?" "Yes," Anna replied. "Have we met?" "Briefly, year ago. You were but a child." "Who are you?" "Sultan Hanwar of Ahjarouh. Your father and I met years ago." "Oh, yes," Anna's eyes lit up. "You helped the condition of Hiyahmah. Aunt Sariyah has told me about that." "A smart girl you are," smile the old man. "You are not really a girl now, are you? How old are you?" "Almost eighteen." "Eighteen! By Allah, you are all grown up then. Most young ladies are married by your age." "Yes, I hoped to be, but I've found no one," Anna frowned. "Dear child," Hanwar said comfortingly. "Love will come. You must be patient." "But what about you? You never married, did you?" Hanwar was made a bit uncomfortable. He looked away from Anna. "I was married for a very short while, but she died less than a year after our marriage. Unlike many royal couples, we married for love. After that, I was bitter for a long time..." "I'm sorry," said Anna softly. "I shouldn't be bothering you like this. I'll be leaving now." She stood up and left the party to return to her chambers. Her main room had belonged to her mother when she was growing up. As she lay on the bed, she stared at a picture of her mother. It had obviously been painted before she had met Aladdin, for Jasmine looked frustrated. She was around fifteen, and her lips were pouting. There was a glare in her eyes that could speak a thousand words, despite the beauty of her face. "She looks so unhappy," sighed Anna. "No one understood that she just needed someone to love her..." The door handle clicked, and the door opened to reveal Clara. She smiled a tiny smile and slowly walked to the side of the bed. "We wondered what happened to you," she began. "Oh, I'm just tired," Anna lied. "Besides, there was nothing to do at that party." "Are you kidding? I've never seen so many people my entire life. This is all so magical...I never imagined I would be getting married t the Prince of Agrabah. You should really come back." "For what? I'm not the one getting married." "You could meet someone, I'm sure. There are plenty of nice, young men. Besides, we'll be cutting the cake soon." "Well," Anna hesitated. "I suppose..." "Come on!" exclaimed Clara, pulling her by the hand and out of the room. Once they reached the ballroom, Troy came running up to them. "There you are!" he smiled. "Anna, I see Clara managed to remove you from your cell." "Oh, stop it, Troy!" laughed Anna, not able to resist her brother's silliness. "I've been talking to someone," continued Troy. "Edwin, come here." A rather snooty prince came to Troy's side. "This is my sister, Edwin. Perhaps you should get to know each other." Troy had a look on his face that drove Anna mad. She wanted to tell him to shut up and stop teasing her, but she knew better in front of all these people. Edwin took Anna by the hand and said smoothing, "Care to dance, Princess?" "Uh, sure..." The prince positioned himself with one hand holding Anna's and the other around her waist. As the music began, they rigidly stepped side to side. The distance betwee them was at least one foot, and Edwin's hand felt so stiff against her back. He didn't once look in her eyew, and without a doubt, Anna could sense that he was just as indifferent as her. As the music ended, she grew more and more frustrated. Finally, this nightmare ended, and she escaped from the pompous prince as quickly as she could. Another song began, and Anna found herself alone in the middle of the dance floor. She turned toward the doorway to quickly leave, but she was stopped by a hand on her shoulder. "Wait," the voice said. She turned around. "Troy!" she exclaimed. "You...you..." "I...what?" "How could you? Why did you set me up with that...that..." "Just to see that priceless look on your face," Troy smirked. "You got a lot of nerve, Troy. Why, if it weren't for all these people..." "May I have this dance, Princess?" "What?" Anna was beyond words. "I'll take that as a yes." Troy took his sister gently by the hand, and together, they gracefully whirled across the floor. Anna was still shocked at her brother's sudden kindness. "You know, Anna," he said, "we've been through a lot together. All joking aside, I am really grateful to have you as my sister." "You are?" "Yes. You've always been there...right beside me in everything...until now. I can't believe it myself. In less than two weeks, I'll be getting married. I'm nervous, excited, happy, and even a little sad all at once. I've never felt so many feelings. I guess this is what love does to a person. I just don't want this to distance us." "Troy, I--I don't know what to say. I am happy for you, but it just doesn't seem like we're this old...old enough to be getting married. Maybe I just want to feel what you feel when your lips touch the one you love." "You will know one day, Anna. I'm sure of it." Anna smiled at her brother's words, for she knew they were sincere. In all the difference they had, they always proved to be there for each other. Remembering this, Anna suddenly felt proud for her brother. The music stopped, and Troy proceeded to the cake. Clara stood next to him. "I would like to thank you all for being here tonight," announced Troy. "I couldn't be happier. In less than two weeks, I'll be marrying the greatest woman in the world. As happy as I am though, ther is a special person I would like to thank for making me realize something. I will be leaving behind my childhood, but my dear sister, Anna, made me realize that no matter what changes we go through in life, we must still be together. Anna, come here and let the people recognize who you are." Anna shyly stepped up next to her brother. The crowd cheered and clapped. She felt an overwhelming devotion toward Troy, something she couldn't quite grasp, but she accepted it openly, knowing it was beautiful. "And finally," Troy continued, "I would like to thank my parents. Without them, none of this would be possible. Sultan Aladdin and Queen Jasmine are who you should really be celebrating tonight. Mom, Dad, come forward and be recognized." Troy waited a couple of minutes, but they didn't come. "Mom? Dad?" The crowd became noisy, everyone turning their heads, looking for a trace of Aladdin or Jasmine. Troy nervously made his way through the crowd, followed closely by Anna. They ran down the hall, calling out their parents' names. Finally, they came to their bedroom and heard Aladdin's voice. "It'll be okay now," he said gently. "Do you think so?" Jasmine asked. Her voice sounded shaky. "Should we go in?" asked Troy. When Anna was about to respond, Cassim came next to them and said, "They need to be alone right now." "What happened?" asked Anna, a bit alarmed. "Aladdin found her out in the menagerie by her father's gave, crying. He said that she has come to the realization that they aren't as young as they once were. Jasmine is afraid that your marriage, Troy, will led to their deaths." "I don't understand, Grandpa. How does my getting married have to do with...death?" "Maybe you are too young to understand, but life is a cycle. Only a year after they got married, Jasmine's father died. When you get older, you sometimes start wondering what you really want out of life. It's nothing anyone can explain or fix, and it's no one's fault." "Oh," said Troy. "I guess I can understand that. I just...I don't know..." "It will be fine, Troy," assured Cassim. "Now, you'd better go back to your party. You have a full room of guests waiting for you." "Yes, I guess I have no choice." Troy left, leaving Anna and Cassim in the hall alone. "Are you okay?" Cassim asked Anna with concern. "You haven't said much." "Earlier this evening...I--I think I said some things to my mom that were the cause of all this. I didn't want to go to my brother's party, and she was trying to make me go. She stormed out of my room because I refused to go." "Oh, Anna, it's not your fault. I don't think she would be upset still over that." "I'm not so sure. She's not your mother." "No, she's not, but she isn't the kind of person who would hold a grudge. You look tired, my dear. Perhaps you should get some sleep." "I guess so," sighed Anna. "Good night, Grandpa." "Good night." Anna headed to her room for the last time that night. She stood out on the balcony, thinking about everything that had happened that night. She was confused out of her mind, but one thing she knew for sure: She wanted someone to share those feelings with, someone to love in the deepest way possible.

~Chapter II: The Understanding~

"Father?" asked Anna softly, knocking on the door to her father's study. There was no response, so she opened the door just wide enough to poke her head in. Aladdin was seated at his desk, his eyes looking down at a piece of paper in his hands. "Dad?" asked Anna again. "What is it, Anna?" mumbled Aladdin. "I need to talk to you." "Does it have to be right now?" "Well...yes. This is important...to me." Aladdin examined his daughter. He thought he knew what she was going to ask, but he wasn't sure. "Anna, if it's about last night, I really don't want to talk about it. My father already told you enough for now." "It's not that," she hesitated. "It's..." "Go on, you can tell me," said Aladdin gently. "Well, it's about love. I want someone to love." "Love is a wonderful thing," remarked Aladdin with a smile. "It has to come naturally though. Don't force it. It will come when you're ready." "But I am ready, Dad," Anna insisted. "Troy is getting married to a woman off the streets, and one day, they will get to rule Agrabah. I'll never have that chance." "Do you really want to marry for love, or are you just jealous of your brother? It seems to me that you are speaking out of jealousy." "I am not jealous!" she exclaimed. "I'm hurt. I've always been second in line my whole life...born second, born a girl. A girl...do you know what that means? I am less of a person in this society. A girl off the streets gets more power than I do. Is that fair?" "First of all, Anna, Clara is not 'off the streets.' Her mother and she are doing quite well enough to have a decent home. You have been sheltered your whole life, Anna. You don't know what it's like to truly have nothing. You should be grateful to have two parents who love you dearly. Finally, being ruler is not the most important thing in the world. Being a good father to you, my dear, comes before my job. You know that. I know it must be hard to always see that, but I do love you. You will find someone to love. If you want so badly to rule a city, then try finding a prince." Anna sighed heavily and looked at the floor. "It's not that simple, Father. I wish you could see that trying to find love is one of the most difficult things in the world." "I know how hard love is. Think of what your mother and I went through. I never even thought I had a chance with a princess. I felt so worthless, Anna. Nobody cares about a street rat..." "Dad, you are no street rat. You are a person. I'm sorry for what you had to go through. You deserved better. Here I am worried about finding romance when you didn't even have a meal to eat when you were my age. I feel like such an immature, little child." "Anna," began Aladdin, "you are a mature lady now, for you are realizing what life is all about. You make me proud, you and Troy both." Anna beamed at her father's words before returning to her room that night. After she changed into her night attire, she sat on the bed and stared at what used to be her mother's nightstand. Anna had never really paid much attention to it. She noticed a small drawer between the legs and the counter. Curious as to what it contained, she opened it. A few papers were thrown into it, but underneath them was a small book. She removed it and read the cover: Jasmine's Diary. It was her mother's diary from when she was growing up! Anna excitedly opened the first page and began to read: This was the most wondrous day I've ever experienced. I couldn't be happier. A miracle named Prince Ali walked into my life today. At first, I just took him for another snobbish prince who just cared about his gold. I was so wrong. There was something about his charming smile, innocent eyes, and loving voice that was all so familiar. He took me out of this elegant prison and showed me the world. He took me on a magic carpet ride to places I've only read about in books. Then, I knew who he was...that boy from the marketplace who saved me. Love sure showed up when I least expected it. Anna put the diary down on her lap and stared out at the balcony. She breathed calmly at first and then faster and faster. Some overwhelming force was growing inside her. "I had no idea," she whispered. "I never imagined how sad my mother must have been, locked up away from the outside world for the first sixteen years of her life. My father really was the greatest thing to ever happen to her." Love was that powerful. It could change lives so that nothing would ever be the same again. Love had the power to touch the heart and open the eyes, to heal, to comfort, to bring families together, to create miracles! This was the first time in her life that Anna had realized this. She now understood its true purpose and felt ever so thankful to those in her life who had shown her love. What a great feeling! She jumped from her bed and ran down the hall, her face beaming every step of the way. When she reached her parents, she hugged them tightly. "I now understand," Anna said happily. "I know what love is, and you...you have shown me all I need to know. Thank you." "Wha--What are you talking about?" asked Aladdin. "I think our daugther just learned the greatest lesson to life, the greatest truth," smiled Jasmine. "Yes, yes!" cheered Anna. "I never knew how wonderful it was until now." "You've always known what love is," said Aladdin. "Why are you so surprised, as if you're experiencing it for the first time?" "Aladdin," whispered Jasmine, "I think she's talking about that kind of love." She looked dreamingly into her husband's eyes. "Oh, that," he smiled, a little embarrassed. "Well, that's different. Uh, congratulations, Anna." "Thank you, Dad," replied Anna. For the time being, none of them could have been more proud. The wedding was quickly approaching, so for the next week, all everyone focused on was planning. The guest rooms were filling up more and more each day with monarchs and their families from all over the Seven Deserts and even beyond. One day while Anna was walking down the hall with her hands full of decorations, she bumped into someone who had been running. Upon impact, the boxes of ribbon, paper bows, and silk flowers dropped between Anna and the stranger, emptying all over the floor. "Oh, I'm sorry," said Anna, a little embarrassed. "I should have watched where I was going." "Oh, uh...no, don't be," stuttered a young man in front of her. "I shouldn't have been running down the hall like that." "It's okay," assured Anna. "I guess I'll just clean this up..." "Here, let me help..." "No, I've got it--" Just as she started to speak, she looked up from the mess and caught herself in the gaze of his eyes. They paused for a moment, not able to talk or move, just lost in that gaze. The gaze was broken when the young man finally spoke. "You...you are the Princess of Agrabah." "Yes, how did you know?" "The resemblance...you look just like the queen." "A lot of people tell me that." "Your mother was adored by all the princes of the Seven Deserts when she was around your age, but none of them could get their hands on her. My father, in fact, tried winning her heart, but he was so insulted that he stormed out of the palace with a big rip in his pants!" laughed the prince. "Let me guess," said Anna, giggling. "My mom's tiger, Rajah, did that!" "Yes! My father said something about a man-eating tiger. He was certainly a character." They were silent again. "Well, you aren't going to throw me out with some tiger, are you?" joked the prince. "Oh, of course not!" laughed Anna. "I don't reject suitors." She realized what she had just said. "Uh, that is...uh..." "Hey, it's okay," he smiled. "I may not have come here to court to princess, but I most certainly have no problem with getting to know her." "You mean, you..." "Sure, why not?" "Um, okay," said Anna slowly. "How about you meet me out in the menagerie at seven?" "I'll be there." The prince disappeared down the hall, and Anna's heart floated up within herself. She quickly cleaned up the mess and ran the boxes to the ballroom. When she returned to her room, she fell back on the bed and sighed happily. "My wish is finally coming true," she said, beaming.

~Chapter III: The Blossoming~

Anna sat by the fountain that evening in the middle of the garden. It was just beginning to become dark, and the attendants were lighting the torches placed throughout the flowers and trees. She glanced down at the water and swirled her finger in it, rippling her reflection against the dim background. Another reflection appeared behind hers, and she heard a voice. "I hope I didn't keep you waiting for long." Anna turned around and smiled. "No, of course not. I'm glad you decided to go through with this." The prince nodded in a daze. He was examining the princess up and down and came to those eyes again, completely losing himself in the dark brown irises and black pupils. "Are you okay?" asked Anna, noticing his detachment. "I never realized how--" He spoke slowly but stopped before he said too much. He cleared his throat and began again. "You look nice this evening." "Thank you," she blushed. "You are very kind for a stranger." "Well, we don't have to stay strangers, Princess." "Call me Anna." "Anna? What a pretty name. It's not Arabic, is it?" "No, my parents decided to give both my brother and me foreign names. Both have their roots in Greek." "That's really neat. I've never met anyone with a name that isn't Arabic or Persia n. My name is Jareem." "Well, Jareem, tell me about yourself. Is this your first time in Agrabah?" "Yes," he began. "Well, I live in Yadima, which is not very far from here. I guess you could say that the city does pretty well for itself. My father knows the rules inside and out. He does what he needs to in order to keep the city going, but I don't think he puts his heart into his work. He always pushed his family aside. There was my mother, me, and my younger brother until five years ago. My brother died, and my mother has never been the same since. My father didn't know what to do. All she needed was someone to comfort her, but he never so much as touched her hand. I don't think they married for love." There was a sadness inside Anna that she couldn't bear. She tried to push those thoughts out of her mind, but she was already beginning to have feelings for this young man. "I am sorry," she whispered. "I can only imagine what that must be like. My parents just loved each other from the very beginning, and now my brother is marrying for love. I've never really know the feeling, but I see it every time I see my parents together." "You're a very lucky girl," Jareem commented. "I don't know if I'll ever know what it means to really love." "I think it just takes time," replied Anna. "My dad always told me that the best things are worth waiting for. If we could just forget our pampered, protected lives in the palace for once and imagine what it would have been like to live alone on the streets, I think we would understand love better." "You are very wise for your age, Anna. I think having the parents you do has taught you more than any other princess I have ever met. For my whole life, something inside kept telling me that there was so much more to life than just the life of the palace. I never told anyone though. I had no one to share it with...until now." "Are you saying that you can talk to me, someone you met only a few hours ago better than someone you've known your entire life?" asked Anna, a bit surprised. "I know it sounds strange," admitted Jareem, "but around you, I feel like the person I've always wanted to be. You're young and your mind is fresh, and I like that. It's refreshing." "So, what are you saying?" she asked, coming closer. "I'm not sure, but I...I think I'm in love with you." All their attention was focused on each other now. Their eyes were shining, reflecting the dim light off the pupils. The shadows of the surrounding flowers danced on their faces from the flickering candlelight, and the moonlight gently rested in the calmly wavering water in the fountain. The aromas of roses, lilacs, and jasmines tingled their noses, and aside from the crickets, it was soothinly silent. Anna closed her eyes, her long, think eyelashes touching just beneath her eyes, simultaneously with Jareem. A moist, warm sensation touched her lips. It was their first kiss.

* * * * * * * * * *

"Where have you been?" asked a mature man sitting at a table in one of the guest rooms. Jareem had just walked into the room, not expecting company. "I was jsut in the garden." "Alone for three hours in a place you don't know?" inquired the man. "No, Father. I was just talking to a princess." "Which princess might this be?" he suspiciously asked. "What does it matter?" Jareem muttered. "It's not like I'm courting her." "I asked you a question, young man. Now answer your father." "Princess Anna." The sultan narrowed his eyes. "The Princess of Agrabah?" "Yes, how did you know?" "Don't take me for a fool, Jareem. I know the names of the children of Queen Jasmine and her no name husband." "I can't believe you, Father!" exclaimed Jareem. "You're insulting the sultan of the very place where you're staying. Why did you come here if you feel that way?" "The only reason I came here was because it is proper custom for royalty to attend weddings of other monarchs." "You told me yourself that twenty years ago you didn't go to Jasmine and Aladdin's wedding. I think you're jealous because you couldn't have Jasmine. She threw you aside like the pampered brat of a prince you were and married for love. You are envious of Agrabah because it prospers on wealth of the heart and not so much wealth due to greed." "How dare you insult you father!" the sultan raged. "I did not go to that wedding because that street rat was not of royal blood. I should have never come to this wedding." "You know what your problem is?" yelled Jareem. "You hold on to the ways of the past way too much. That happened over twenty years ago, so get over it!" "I am not going to just 'get over it.' Those laws were set in place for a reason centuries ago: To keep royalty on the throne and streets rats in the street. He knew his place, and he should have stayed there." "His place? And just what is 'someone's place?' Somewhere where they are forced to remain for the rest of their lives and never have a chance to be happy?" "You, young man, are becoming way out of line. You know better than to question authority." "It's people like you who hold this world back. Let go of your comtempt before you find yourself lost forever. Look at our own family. Look at my mother, your wife. You were never there for her, and when my brother died, you never even talked to her! Anna's father is twice the sultan you ever were and three times the father!" Jareem cried, almost in tears. "This ends now!" boomed his father. "I know why you are acting like this. It was that girl, wasn't it? She put these crazy ideas in your head, and by Allah, I'll make sure it never happens again. I forbid you from seeing her." Jareem was beyond words. He glared at his father with total disbelief in his eyes. "You can't forbid me from seeing her," he said in a slow, shaking voice. "She's the best thing the ever happen to me, and I...I love her." The sultan didn't say a word. He only glared back just as angry. He stood up from the bed and closed the door behind him, leaving Jareem alone. Jareem was more hurt that night than he had ever been in his life. Why couldn't his father understand where he was coming from? The reason wasn't clear to Jareem, for all he could think about was Anna. He had never met someone who could understand him like she did. She was so kind, so accepting, so loving. The way she stayed in his mind made him smile, despite what his father had said. He loved her.

* * * * * * * * * *

"Here you are," said Anna with a smile, standing at the doorway of Jareem's room. "I was looking for you." "Oh, hi," Jareem murmured. "I didn't expect you this early." "Am I too early? If I am, I can come back later. It's just that I decided to take a break. I've been busy all morning with decorating for the wedding." "Oh, no...It's fine. You're not too early. So, you are excited about your brother's wedding, huh?" asked Jareem, trying to hide his true feelings. "Yes, I can't believe it's only in two more days after today. At first, I was a bit jealous, I guess. Seeing how happy he was with Clara made me long for someone to love, and then I met you. Just think, if this wedding didn't take place, we probably would have never met." "Yeah," was all Jareem said. Noticing his quietness, Anna asked him, "What's wrong? You've been quiet." "I guess I'm just sad because I couldn't see you for a few hours. Being alone in a place where I don't know anyone does that, I guess." "You could talk to your dad if you're lonely," suggested Anna. "No, he's...uh, he's no fun. I can talk to him any day. Well, what do you say? Let's leave this room," said Jareem hurriedly, afraid his father would find them. "Um, sure," replied Anna. They walked down a few hallways until they came to the main hall with the bedrooms of those who lived there. They went to one of the rooms and entered. "This is my room," said Anna. "It used to be my mother's." They spent the next hour walking around the palace. Anna was giving Jareem the grand tour of her home. When lunch time rolled around, Anna invited him to be her special guest and sit at the table with her family. She introduced Jareem to them, and they all appeared pleased to see she had found a companion. When Anna and Jareem were walking around the gardens after lunch, a wild thought suddenly came to Anna. "Do you want to try something fun?" she asked. "Something you've never done before?" "What is it?" asked Jareem, interested in the topic. "Oh, you'll see," smirked Anna, "but first, follow me." They went back inside and came to a room with a rug on the floor. Anna stood on the rug and motioned for Jareem to join her. "Sit down," she said. "Why?" He was puzzled. "I told you that you'll see. Now, come here." "Okay," he replied, "but I don't see the point to this." Jareem sat down next to Anna on the rug. "Wouldn't it be neat if this rug could fly?" she asked. "Don't be silly, Anna. We're not children. You know rugs just don't get up and fly." Suddenly, he felt the rug move from under him. They were floating in mid-air about three feet off the ground. "Wha-what's going on here?" stuttered Jareem. "You're on a magic carpet," replied Anna casually. "Now do you believe me?" "Well, yes...yeah, I suppose this just about proves it." "You're not scared, are you?" she teased. "Well, to be truthful, I've never been on a flying carpet before. I don't think people are supposed to fly." "It's okay," assured Anna. "Carpet has never dropped anyone. Now, let's go for a ride." "I...I don't think that's a good idea...If you want to leave the palace, we could go on ground..." "Oh, come on," urged Anna. "It'll be fun. I promise you that you won't regret it." Before Jareem could speak, Carpet took off into the sky, flying high above the clouds. They flew for the whole afternoon all the way to the sea shore and then over the rainforests and back to the desert again. The whole time they talked about their lives, enjoying every moment of the ride. Jareem felt so free on that carpet with this amazing woman by his side, and Anna knew she was in love deeply. All this in only two days. "Thank you for an amazing time," said Jareem after they returned to the palace. "I'm glad you had fun," replied Anna. "Now, aren't you glad you went on this ride?" "Yes. In fact, you've opened me up so much, it's amazing. Anna, meeting you was a miracle." Anna smiled warmly at his kind words, not quite sure if this was the real thing. Was it too fast? She felt so in love, but in just two days? Was it possible? As they parted, her heart told her yes.

~Chapter IV: The Learning of Love~

"Are you nervous?" Anna asked while sitting in the menagerie that day. "Yes," Troy admitted. "Tomorrow I'll be entering a new part of my life. I don't know what to expect. This day always seemed years down the road, and now, here it is. I'm nineteen and getting married, becoming a man." "It's hard for me to believe, too," added Anna. "You were always my annoying older brother, who came into my room every morning and scared me awake." "Yeah," laughed Troy. "I remember that one morning when I was running down the hall and..." "You were always running down the hall, waking everyone up first thing in the morning." "Yeah, but that morning after I pounced on you, you came and did the same to me. We started chasing each other and came to that door that led to the dungeon. Then, we went down because we thought it would be so neat to explore..." "You thought it would be neat," corrected Anna. "I never like the thought. Then, that Mozenrath guy kidnapped us and sent our parents twelve centuries into the future! I wonder what that must have been like...over a thousand years into the future." "I don't know about a thousand years in the future, but I am worried about the next few years." "What do you mean?" "Think about it, Anna. I will one day be Sultan. Sometimes I wonder if I can live up to what our father has done. He has turned Agrabah into the Jewel of the Seven Deserts. Do I even compare?" "But Troy," began Anna, "you've grown up a prince. Ever since you could talk, you've been training to be the future sultan. You have it all: a home, money, food, friends, and two parents who love you very much." "It's not that simple, Anna," Troy sighed. "Did you ever wonder why our father turned out to be the great sultan he is? He had nothing when he was growing up. I would trade all I have now just to experience what he did. I'll never completely understand..." "Troy, I have wondered many times about what life was like for our father, but we'll never know completely. Are you telling me that you'd rather be an orphan with no food, no money, living on the streets?" "I would trade everything expect my parents. I don't know where I'd be today without them. I know that I shouldn't be saying this, but why did Grandpa do that to Dad? How could he have the nerve to just leave his wife and child? By Allah, he was once a notorious thief!" "Troy, how can you say that?!" exclaimed Anna. "He's our grandfather, and you should have enough respect not to question him like that." "I knew I'd regret that," mumbled Troy. "I didn't mean to sound like I was insulting him; all I meant was that he...I don't know..." "Troy, I understand what you mean. I know he regrets those choices, but we don't know what he was going through. I think everyone makes bad decisions, but those ones who truly love them will understand and help them live those days out. No one deserves to suffer for the rest of their lives. You will one day look back on this day and laugh at how worried you were about benig Sultan. Troy, you will make a great sultan one day." "Thank you," Troy smiled. "I'm glad we had this talk. All these years with having you as my sister have been wonderful." Later that day, Anna was with Jareem in the throne room. Besides them, the room was completely empty. Jareem sat on the floor with Anna by his side, feeling uncomfortable. He stared at the floor, not saying anything. "Jareem," Anna finally said. "What's the matter with you?" "The wedding is tomorrow," he mumbled. "I'll be leaving the day after that." "Oh, Jareem," she sighed. "Don't be sad. Here, look at me." "I--I can't..." "Why not?" "Anna, look at me. Tell me what you see." "Well, I see a young man who is kind, trusting, and caring. I see a man I love. What else is there to see?" "If that's all you see, then you don't really see me." "What are you talking about?" She sounded hurt and shocked. "I've been thinking," he continued. "What if we never see each other again?" "Why wouldn't we ever see each other again? Just because you live in another kingdom doesn't mean we can't visit..." "I have to confess something. These last few days, I've been hiding something from you. I am not the person you thought I was, and I felt horrible that I couldn't tell you." "Please, Jareem, just tell me...I'm sure I'll understand..." "It will break your heart. I'm so afraid...of the truth..." "I will understand...I know I will..." "You say that now, but when I tell you, I don't think you'll feel the same way." "If you truly love me, you can tell me." "Well, I can't visit, and you can't either," he said quickly. "It's not that I don't love you, I do. It's just that...well, my father, he doesn't want us to see each other." "Why? I don't understand." "Because of your father." "My father?" she asked, confused. "What does my father have to do with this?" "Oh, Anna, don't you remember our first conversation? My father looks down upon yours because...well, he was...from the streets. He doesn't want unroyal blood to enter into his family." Anna sat still. She was deeply hurt by what she had just heard. She looked away from Jareem, staring at the walls. She couldn't look him in the eye, not after he had broken her heart. "You could have told me you didn't want me," she said in tears. "But you had to lie. What is it about me? Huh? Oh, I know, our love wasn't good enough. We don't have true love. Oh, no! What we had was a mistake! There's no way you could possibly know me after four days...no way..." "Anna, please," begged Jareem. "I'm telling you the truth. I...I just didn't know how to tell you--" "You should have never told me anything about yourself!" she yelled, standing up. "Your kind...you're all the same...just a bunch of fake, spoiled, stuck-up royal snobs!" "Anna--" "No!" she screamed. "You first insulted my father and now you've insulted me!" She stormed ut of the throneroom and headed for her room. The door slammed behind her, the booming noise echoing down the hallway. Anna threw herself down on the bed face first and sobbed uncontrollably. In a fury, she stood up and went to the mirror. "Stupid girl!" she shouted. "Stupid clothes! Stupid face! Anna, you're so ugly...Who would ever love you!?" She tore the sleeve right off her dress, pulled her crown off, and threw it across the room. When she was just about to rip her dress again, the door opened. Aladdin rushed to her and took her in his arms. She immediately collapsed into them. Aladdin sat on the bed and gently stroked her hair. "It's okay," he calmly and gently said. "Oh, my precious daugther, what is wrong?" "Daddy," she sobbed. "My heart is completely broken..all because of that..that..." "Calm down, my flower...You will be alright. I'm here for you." "Dad, he told me a lie. Instead of telling me he just didn't love me, he told me his father didn't want me around him because you were not of royal blood. He completely insulted you. I can't love a man who speaks so of my dad." "I was afraid of this," said Aladdin. "What? That our love would prove untrue?" "No, that his father would intervene in your relationship. Anna, I know his father. He is a man who hangs on to the old ways of the past. He saw me when I was but a street rat and pushed me into the mud. The doors that entered into the gardens of the palace shut right in my face, making me feel worthless. I know a lot of people look at me as a joke, and I can't say that I blame them. Sometimes I ask myself if I'm really supposed to be ruling a city. One of the most difficult things for me is trying to be fair to everyone, rich and poor alike. Sometimes I stand in front of a man who committed a crime, most of them thieves. I ask myself, 'How can I sentence a man who is a thief when my own father was a thief? How do I know that this man isn't just another hopeless father who tried to provide for his family?' I was a thief myself, a trouble-maker, and all of a sudden, I am expected to sentence those who have done what I have? Sometimes I wonder, 'Why me? Why am I so special to be this fortunate?' Anna, I guess what I'm trying to tell you is life is no easy task. It's only one question after another. All I can say is do the best with what you have and hope for the best outcome. If you really love him, you must try to save your relationship. You are just beginnig to experience adult life. Despite all this though, I am a believer in love at first sight." "You are? But how do I know?" "You'll know when you learn the truth. It may not be what you're expecting, but Anna, it's the experience of having living it that really matters. My dear, that is the real challenge to life. I've seen how happy you've been the past few days. If I were you, I'd try to save that magic called being in love." "You're right, Dad," Anna replied with a small smile. "Thank you." Before leaving Anna's room, Aladdin kissed his daughter. She stopped crying and wiped the tears from her face. As she fell asleep that night, she thought about many things. She would try to talk to Jareem's father. Surely, he would listen to her words and understand that what his son and she shared was true love. Anna wanted so badly to believe this, but she didn't feel certain about anything, expect what Aladdin had told her. The simple acceptance of what is true is the basis of all deepness.

~Chapter V: The Wedding Day and the Aftermath~

The big day had finally arrived. In less than an hour, the long-awaited event would be taking place. Anna looked out at the main gateway leading to the throne room as she stood out on one of the balconies. Last minute guests were pouring into the menagerie. Anna just sighed at them. They were all excited, totally opposite of what she was feeling. She didn't remain there for long, rather she turned away and went to her room. Anna looked at the silk, white gown hanging in her wardrobe. The collar and cuffs were lined with gold trim, and a gold sash tied around the waist. The bottom was tired and reached all the way to the floor. It was her maiden of honor dress. Clara had chosen her as her maiden of honor months ago, and she recalled how touched she had been. Anna slipped the gown on and stared at herself in the mirror. She certainly looked stunning. Her hair had been styled earlier that day and was twisted at the back and pinned up on top so some of her curls stuck out. A few locks of hair hung down, framing her face. Placing her crown on, she looked like an angel. If only she felt as beautiful on the inside as she looked on the outside... Anna knew she was expected to be at the wedding quite shortly, so she rushed down the hall and stood with the other bride's maids. The music began and the bride's maids processed down the aisle. Anna followed them, the music becoming louder. She stood off to the side, nervously watching for Clara to come down the aisle. She glanced at Troy, who was standing off to the other side, looking nervous as well. Then, Clara began coming toward them. She smiled, looking Troy directly in the eyes. Anna turned and saw her mother sitting with Clara's mother, Sadira. They both looked proud. And then there was her father, who stood at the front of the room. Clara and Troy were now standing side by side, and the ceremoney began. "We are gathered here today..." Aladdin's voice trailed off as Anna stared off into the distance. She was looking for Jareem, and as no surprise, he was also looking for her. Suddenly their eyes met. They spent the entire time staring at each other, trying to imagine what the other was thinking. With the final sentence, "With a sacred kiss you are wed," the wedding ended when the newly-weds kissed. The crowd cheered and it was over. Just like that, the day everyone had been planning for was finished. Anna returned to her room afterward and removed her gown and put on less formal clothes. The celebration continued for the rest of the day, inside the palace and out on the streets. Anna attended the wedding reception of course, but all the joyous talking that surrounded her was drowned out by the constant thoughts that were going through her mind. She knew what she had to do, and finally, she worked up the courage to make amends.

* * * * * * * * * *

"I hope you're happy!" yelled Jareem as he entered his father's room that night. "You destroyed the only chance I had at loving someone!" The reply was a long, loud gasp. Jareem noticed his father lying on the bed with the blankets over him. Jareem rushed to his side. "Father?" he asked. "Jareem...is that you?" "Yes." "I can't see you, but I...I heard you..." "Why are you in bed this early?" "I felt dizzy at the reception." He gasped. "So, I came here...and my chest started...to hurt." He gasped again. "You're short of breath. Should I get someone to--" "No, Jareem...it's too late. Listen, you will have to...rule the kingdom now...I am dying..." "But--" "I cannot control it," the sultan said barely above a whisper. "Just as I...couldn't control you..." He stopped breathing at that moment. Those were his last words: "I couldn't control you..." What did they mean? Was he ashamed of his son or had he finally learned to let go? Jareem sat there, unable to comprehend what had just happened. Then, Anna's voice was heard from behind. "Wha--Jareem, what are you doing here?" He looked at her with empty eyes. "What are you doing here?" "I came to try to talk to your father," she replied. "Well, that's not possible," he murmured. "He just died." "What? Oh, Jareem...I'm sorry." "Don't be. Maybe it was for the best." "But Jareem, he was your father. How can you not be sad?" "The truth is, Anna, I don't know how to react. He never gave me a reason to be sad, expect when he forbade me from seeing you." "I don't understand," Anna sighed. "Didn't you love him?" Jareem looked at his father's motionless body. He looked cold and stiff. "He looks just like he did when he was alive, hard and cold. He was always so distant. His hands are touching me just as much now as they did when he was alive. I see no difference. I never knew much about who I was supposed to be. No one ever allowed me to think for myself, until you came into my life. I know this must be hard for you to understand, but we come from two very different worlds." "That sounds very familiar to a story I heard," she said, remembering how her parents met. "But I know one thing we do have in common." "What's that?" "Love." Before Jareem could speak a word, Anna came closer and placed her hands on his cheeks, bringing his face to hers. They kissed, taking Jareem by surprise. "What was that for?" he asked. "It was for you," she smiled. "I love you." Realizing what had just happened, Jareem beamed. "And I love you, my princess."

* * * * * * * * * *

"I must return home to take care of a few things," began Jareem, "but I will be back for you." They kissed goodbye, and Anna watched as the man of her life headed home. She stood on a balcony as the sun was setting. A voice came from behind her. "The sunsets in Agrabah have always been more beautiful than anywhere in the Seven Deserts." "Grandpa!" she exclaimed with a smile. "So, your man is headed home, huh?" "Yes, but he will return soon. He promised. Jareem has to take care of the funeral and all. I still can't believe his father died. They never made up." "Maybe his father's death was the answer. I know it sounds strange, but maybe that was the only way for his father to finally let go. Jareem is free now. He lost his father, but he gained you." "I never thought of it that way before, Grandpa," she admitted, "but I feel horrible to think that he would have to lose his father just to have me." "That is how life is, Anna. We must always be willing to give something up to have something else. It happened to me when I left my family for the Hand of Midas and when I gave up the Hand for the real treasure of my life, my son. It happened to Aladdin when he gave up his life on the streets for life in the palace, but he gave up his simple life for a life devoted to the people. It happened to you, and it will happen again. From generation to generation, things change, but the ideas always stay the same. Love is forever as long as there are people to share it." "From generation to generation..." "Yes." The sun had set by then. In the darkness to follow, many new obstacles and adventures would follow, changing and altering what they called life. Even when the sun would set on their lives, there would always be the next generation to carry on the traditions, the stories, the secrets, and most importantly, the love. This was the adventure of life...from generation to generation.

~The End~