Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Live-action Aladdin cast found
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Live-action Aladdin cast found
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zitagirl wrote:
Also Beast mother's died quite early, so his ruthless father raised him and broke him or least that's how they try to explain his behaving here.

That makes blaming the servants when it's clearly family issues even more unfair Laughing

zitagirl wrote:
Yeah, that would work nicely. Also would be a nice nudge to the fans mentioning Cassim in a way.

Inb4 in the movie turns out to be Jafar killed Jasmine's mother to gain more control over the Sultan and the palace. Unlikely to happen, but wouldn't be surprised to see something like that.

I'll be surprised if Cassim is mentioned at all, but I doubt it besides maybe a passing reference that Aladdin believes his father is dead. They can more or less make up whatever they want with his mother, but I'd rather them not change anything with his father.

I'LL BE SO MAD IF THEY DO THAT TO JAFAR. It's not like royals killing off their family members to gain control of the throne isn't historically a thing, but there's no point in him as the vizier taking out Jasmine's mother to do so when he could have just controlled the whole family with magic like was doing when we catch up with them.

Plus, he seemed particular about doing things the technical way through marriage so then he could off the family, so marrying Jasmine's mother would have been his easiest path to the throne.

All this speculating has me nervous now Laughing
zitagirl
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
That makes blaming the servants when it's clearly family issues even more unfair Laughing

Yep, great message to peeps, Disney. (Seriously though, I don1t think they think through this well)

zitagirl wrote:
Yeah, that would work nicely. Also would be a nice nudge to the fans mentioning Cassim in a way.

Inb4 in the movie turns out to be Jafar killed Jasmine's mother to gain more control over the Sultan and the palace. Unlikely to happen, but wouldn't be surprised to see something like that.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
I'll be surprised if Cassim is mentioned at all, but I doubt it besides maybe a passing reference that Aladdin believes his father is dead. They can more or less make up whatever they want with his mother, but I'd rather them not change anything with his father.

Yeah, you are probably right. Just my inner fan wants to see that the latter movies and the series actually mean something and weren't just a cash-in for Disney. Silly me. Razz

AladdinsGenie wrote:
I'LL BE SO MAD IF THEY DO THAT TO JAFAR. It's not like royals killing off their family members to gain control of the throne isn't historically a thing, but there's no point in him as the vizier taking out Jasmine's mother to do so when he could have just controlled the whole family with magic like was doing when we catch up with them.

Plus, he seemed particular about doing things the technical way through marriage so then he could off the family, so marrying Jasmine's mother would have been his easiest path to the throne.

And it would be quite out of character. Sure, he disliked the royal family, but he didn't want to murder then until Iago mentioned it (who won't even be in this new movie). Heck, he actually tried to get Jasmine and make her fall in love with him, so I think killing is only when necessary for him to do so.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
All this speculating has me nervous now Laughing

Sorry about it. I'm just quite nervous about the movie. I want it to be good, even if it won't be the same, but the lack of information, no trailers make me worried. Plus the info you wrote few days ago made my mind just go and think how it might turn out. Does1t help either that the previous Live-actio movies were....quite mixed to say the least.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zitagirl pretty much killed it with the batb descriptions. I’d like to add that they make Belle an inventor for like 2 seconds then never bring it up again. And she teaches a girl to read, and the townspeople don’t like it, but it’s never brought up again. Just like tacky things like that to make us go “oh so she is a feminist” for like 5 seconds.

zitagirl wrote:
Belle actually lies to the Beast and tries to escape right after she gets a room. Again, unnecessary change here.

I think they were trying to fix the flak people give Belle for “promise or no promise” while also making her a feminist for another 10 seconds.

aladdinsgenie wrote:
I'm pretty sure we're gonna get some of this now. Aladdin and Jasmine's mother is probably gonna come up at least.

Honestly I wouldn’t mind a little bit of backstory in the form of a mention in conversation or whatever. The 5 seconds they gave Aladdin’s childhood in KoT seems about right. I just don’t need a whole stinkin scene slowing down the movie for fanservice, rather than furthering the film.

Slightly off-topic, but the Belle's-mom-backstory scene in BatB is made even worse by introducing a book that can transport them anywhere in the world. And the book NEVER COMES UP AGAIN. Even when Belle rushes through a cursed forest to rescue her father.

zitagirl wrote:
Inb4 in the movie turns out to be Jafar killed Jasmine's mother to gain more control over the Sultan and the palace.

Heyyy how did you get a hold of my unpublished 2008 fan fiction? Razz

aladdinsgenie wrote:
I'LL BE SO MAD IF THEY DO THAT TO JAFAR.

HEY I SAID I DIDN’T PUBLISH IT OKAY Laughing

aladdinsgenie wrote:
All this speculating has me nervous now

The speculating is giving life to my nerd side

zitagirl wrote:
Does1t help either that the previous Live-actio movies were....quite mixed to say the least.

I actually quite enjoyed most/all them. I actually really enjoyed BatB the first time, like a lot, but mostly because of the visuals (except for Beast's CGI) and music (except autotune is the scourge of my life). It wasn't until I got home and reflected that I was like, "Wait no."

The Jungle Book was exactly what I think live action remakes should be. Poignant and creative. New but keeping what was good about the old.

EDIT: I say "enjoyed most/all of them," did not say they were great. Cinderella was cute. 101 Dalmatians I haven't seen since I was a kid, but I liked it and listen to the score still. Maleficent is very flawed but entertaining, and I respect that they made total changes to the original, rather than copy+paste. Apparently they're making Maleficent 2?
Elemental

Location: Travelling in time and space on the Guliverkli 5, trying to catch up to the TARDIS.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
I think they were trying to fix the flak people give Belle for “promise or no promise” while also making her a feminist for another 10 seconds.

Idk, to me it hurt the character a bit. I actually liked how Belle would let herself be a prisoner to the Beast instead of her dad, even if it meant she will never see him again.

Seriously, they need to stop forcing feminism into their characters. I'm all for women being strong characters and all, but if it's forced and makes the character worse...just don't then.

Meesh wrote:
Slightly off-topic, but the Belle's-mom-backstory scene in BatB is made even worse by introducing a book that can transport them anywhere in the world. And the book NEVER COMES UP AGAIN. Even when Belle rushes through a cursed forest to rescue her father.

Yep, that was a plotpoint that not only came out of nowhere, but also made even more plotholes. I think this is a prime example of "hmm, we want to do something new, but still tell the exact same story", which I honestly can only shake my head on it in disappointment. Not even sure what disappoints me more: the fact someone greenlighted this mess, or that they thought copying the original and adding stuff in it that simply doesn't matter to the overall story or even hurt it was a good idea.

Okay, enough ranting about that movie. It was still a financial success for Disney, so it clearly did something well I guess...

Meesh wrote:
Heyyy how did you get a hold of my unpublished 2008 fan fiction? Razz

Uhm, magic? Razz

Seriously though I just brainstormed a bit and thought about how could explain the death of Jasmine's mother. The death of a loved one can break anyone even mentally and maybe make it easier to manipulate them, though...yeah, it would probably not fit here.

Meesh wrote:
I actually quite enjoyed most/all them. I actually really enjoyed BatB the first time, like a lot, but mostly because of the visuals (except for Beast's CGI) and music (except autotune is the scourge of my life). It wasn't until I got home and reflected that I was like, "Wait no."

The Jungle Book was exactly what I think live action remakes should be. Poignant and creative. New but keeping what was good about the old.

EDIT: I say "enjoyed most/all of them," did not say they were great. Cinderella was cute. 101 Dalmatians I haven't seen since I was a kid, but I liked it and listen to the score still. Maleficent is very flawed but entertaining, and I respect that they made total changes to the original, rather than copy+paste. Apparently they're making Maleficent 2?

For me it's quite mixed. I actually enjoyed the 101 Dalmatians movies or least the first one. Maleficent was interesting and quite enjoyed some elements in it. As a stand-alone, it's an enjoyable movie, but it's clearly an AU story (and seriously, they ruined the fairies Mad ), so trying to make it fit into the original movie is pointless.

Jungle Book seemed very good actually. That one was actually well-done. I haven't seen the Cinderella one yet, but honestly...I'm not interested in it. Idk, even though I liked the classic one, this new version just never really got my interest.

BatB just angers me with how they copy-pasted the original, while adding pointless, unnecessary changes that weren't even thought-out and the characters just seemed much less.

Wait what? A sequel to Maleficent? I mean...it's not impossible, but what would it be about? Ugh...why do I feel like they only make a sequel because it was a financial success?
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zitagirl wrote:
Okay, enough ranting about that movie. It was still a financial success for Disney, so it clearly did something well I guess...

I mean I did see it twice in theatres

zitagirl wrote:
and seriously, they ruined the fairies

Definitely the most offensive thing about the movie. Kind of disappointing that Maleficent becomes one of the best villains ever because of a dick ex-boyfriend too.

zitagirl wrote:
I haven't seen the Cinderella one yet, but honestly...I'm not interested in it.

You're not missing much, but it wasn't bad. Cheesy but charming. Forgettable, but enjoyable.

zitagirl wrote:
Wait what? A sequel to Maleficent? I mean...it's not impossible, but what would it be about?

http://collider.com/maleficent-2-filming-cast-synopsis/#images

zitagirl wrote:
Ugh...why do I feel like they only make a sequel because it was a financial success?

Thems the ways.

"We have no obligation to make history. We have no obligation to make art. We have no obligation to make a statement. To make money is our only objective."
- Michael Eisner
Elemental

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
I mean I did see it twice in theatres

Nothing wrong with that as long as you enjoy it, I know for sure I will watch tis live-action Aladdin twice, seeing it in 2 different languages, whether I like it or not.

Meesh wrote:
Definitely the most offensive thing about the movie. Kind of disappointing that Maleficent becomes one of the best villains ever because of a dick ex-boyfriend too.

Welp, if we can call her a villain here. To me she was more of an anti-hero, than an actual villain. Confused

Meesh wrote:
http://collider.com/maleficent-2-filming-cast-synopsis/#images

I see now...plot is...probably would be better on the small screen as a TV series.

Thems the ways.

Meesh wrote:
"We have no obligation to make history. We have no obligation to make art. We have no obligation to make a statement. To make money is our only objective."
- Michael Eisner

And I really hate this mentality. I get that money is important, but it shouldn't be priority in creating any form of art (and yes, I include film-making into this as well)
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
zitagirl pretty much killed it with the batb descriptions. I’d like to add that they make Belle an inventor for like 2 seconds then never bring it up again. And she teaches a girl to read, and the townspeople don’t like it, but it’s never brought up again. Just like tacky things like that to make us go “oh so she is a feminist” for like 5 seconds.

Why didn't they like that she taught her how to read? Again, Belle knowing how to read at all is incredible for this time period, so her then teaching a young girl to read would make her the Angelina Jolie of her village, not a nerdy freak everyone scorns for being 'different' Laughing

Also, the inventor thing wouldn't make her a feminist. It would just accent how privileged she is that she doesn't have to have a job that brings in any real sustainable income Laughing

Quote:

Yeah, it gives the original a run for its money and added to the original story. Plus, I finally got a sense of the imminent danger Mowgli was in and that he really needs to get out of this jungle because figures like Kaa, Shere khan, and even King Louie were terrifying.

Quote:
Maleficent is very flawed but entertaining, and I respect that they made total changes to the original, rather than copy+paste. Apparently they're making Maleficent 2?

I really wanted to like that movie, but it was so radically different from everything we know about the Maleficent she's based off that I still can't see the connection between the two characters (not so subtle sexual assault allegory when her wings were ripped off to harden her personality and all). And I'm not even a person that thinks you can't humanize villains or give them sad backstories, but I think my main problem is they did so at the expense of villainizing almost everyone else from the original film which is like ???
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cast of Disney's live-action 'Aladdin' were reportedly recalled to London earlier this month for reshoots.

The Guy Ritchie-directed film was supposed to finish shooting in January, but movie executives at Disney decided to ask for more shoots after they were unimpressed by an early cut of the film.

An insider told The Sun newspaper: "Disney wasn't massively impressed with the first draft and had its cast return to London to reshoot parts of the movie.

"They are eager for it to do as well as last year's 'Beauty & The Beast', which made £1 billion at the box office."

The studio bosses also called for more non-white actors to star in the movie, following criticism that white actors were using make-up to look more Middle Eastern.

The source added: "They want it to be respectful and feel authentic, so they cast more Middle Eastern extras for crowd scenes.

"Will Smith also came back for the reshoots because they decided to expand his role as the Genie.

"Now they are a lot more ­confident with what they have."

The live-action movie - which stars Canadian actor Mena Massoud as Aladdin and Naomi Scott as Princess Jasmine - is scheduled for release in May 2019.

That explains the lack of promo Laughing

It blows my mind it didn't occur to them at first to cast some middle eastern actors for a middle eastern film.
zitagirl
Elemental

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Least we know now what happened and why we had no trailers or anything. Let's hope the reshoots actually did something good with the movie.

Also, doesn't this give you guys a Deja Vu? Razz
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

Hopefully that doesn't mean, "NOT ENOUGH BELLS AND WHISTLES - GO ADD THINGS WE DON'T NEED"

...although yay representation?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's our curse Laughing

But yeah, expanding Genie's role makes me nervous because I hope that's not code for "make him more prominent in the film". It's not his film.
zitagirl
Elemental

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I would love to see more of Genie, I really don't want him o have more role than necessary, especially if that bonus time is mostly just him joking: it might end up being fillers and make Genie annoying, which I really don't want.

Although...a movie about just Genie...would gladly watch that. Laughing
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, exactly. I get he's a big draw but this franchise has already been largely marketed through him and Jasmine through the princess line. Let him have his movie, dammit Laughing

Wasn't there something about that floating around in the past few years that they were working on it?
zitagirl
Elemental

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Yeah, exactly. I get he's a big draw but this franchise has already been largely marketed through him and Jasmine through the princess line. Let him have his movie, dammit Laughing

Wasn't there something about that floating around in the past few years that they were working on it?

That got cancelled thanks to Robin's lawyers, if I remember correctly. Disney wanted to use up unused recordings for that prequel, which can't be possible now.

Though, I'm kinda disappointed we won't get a prequel. Would have loved to see Genie before he met Aladdin, expanding the world (heck, they even could have included Gebraic in, since he was an old master of Genie) how he met Carpet and overall how he remained/become so kind-hearted and benevolent (because let's face it, if his masters were mostly like Jafar and Gebraic, I really can't believe he never had a breaking point or get close to one at least). Sure, I love his funny/joking self, but I also adore his more caring, serious side and would love to see that more as well. Hopefully Will Smith will do a fine balance between his comical and caring side.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum