Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Live-action Aladdin cast found
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Live-action Aladdin cast found
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Live-action Aladdin cast found Reply with quote

So, I'm just going to keep updating this post as more actors are found just to make it easier:

Aladdin - Mena Massoud

Jasmine - Naomi Scott

Genie - Will Smith

Jafar - Marwan Kenzari

Sultan - Navid Negahban

Last edited by AladdinsGenie on Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy with the way they look. Not familiar with their acting or musical abilities. I trust they can act, but I swear if I hear autotune ONCE...
Sultan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really psyched that Will Smith will play Genie. I've been a fan of his since I was 10 years old, and I think he is a good choice.
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try my absolute hardest to just enjoy it for what it is and NOT compare it to the original because of course it's not going to be as good...

But I honestly kind of wish they would cancel this.
Fez_Head
Cave of Wonders Tour Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little conflicted, to tell you the truth. On one hand, I'm excited that this movie is happening (Aladdin finally getting some love!), but on the other, I sort of wish it wasn't because I know that no matter what, people are going to find something to hate about it.

I don't really know how I feel about the actors chosen either. I'm not the biggest fan of Will Smith, I've never heard of the guy playing Aladdin, and if her acting in the crap Disney Channel movie was anything to go by, this girl is meh at best.

I think it will be tough not to compare it to the animated film (I did that a lot while watching the live action Beauty and the Beast), but who knows? Maybe it will surprise us. At least, I hope. Confused
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't see it translating well to live-action. The animation is part of what makes the film so magical and breathtaking. I don't think live-action could even begin to capture that magic.

But like I said...I will try my hardest to just view it as a separate film...and we'll still always have the original to purify ourselves if needed.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am hesitant about the idea as well. I am optimistic that Guy Ritchie won't turn it into a only-good-because-it's-beautiful-and-closes-some-plot-holes movie like the Beauty and the Beast remake.

I would like it if they do something new with it, like the Cinderella remake it. As opposed to BatB, which was almost a verbatim auto-tuned regurgitation of the original (albeit, a beautiful and enjoyable one, but kind of what was the point).
Cave of Wonders Tour Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the hesitation, Meesh. I think whenever one's beloved movie is made again, there's always that sense of fear of what may happen. I liked the live action Beauty and the Beast because it did clear up some plot holes I never understood as a kid and it had a few new songs I enjoyed (thanks Alan Menken!). However, I still prefer the original.

I had read somewhere that obviously the Aladdin live action will be heavily inspired by the animated movie, but also the original written story as well. Anyone else have any ideas on this? Do you think any of the stuff from the Broadway show that was supposed to be in the original movie (i.e.. Aladdin's friends vs Abu, "Proud of your Boy", etc) will make an appearance?
imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original tale of Aladdin and His Wonderful Lamp isn't a particularly great story...if I'm being honest. :b I do like it, but Disney made it something WAY better.

And as for putting in things from Howard Ashman's original concept/treatment like how they did in the Broadway show, I can only say that the Broadway show is...okay? I wasn't crazy about them doing that, and I'm not even sure Howard Ashman himself would've wanted that. It was a very nice gesture to honor his original vision, but eh...it just takes away a little bit from Aladdin's character and the drama/action from the movie. So I'm not sure how that would work in this movie.

I wouldn't mind "Proud of Your Boy" or "High Adventure" or "How Quick They Forget," though. And I do like "These Palace Walls." Jasmine needs her own song, totally. And maybe "Humiliate the Boy"? I really dig that one. So catchy. XD
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing they'll write a few new songs instead of using Broadway songs, like they did with the BatB remake. If they use any of them, I'd guess they'd use "Proud of Your Boy," especially since Menken has made it very clear how much that song means to him

Maybe they'll include his mom? Shocked
Sultan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer that they write all new songs rather than try to shoehorn the deleted songs in there because those songs were written for a completely different story. That's why the Broadway show feels so oddly disjointed to me at times.
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I edited the original post and will keep doing so as we find more cast members, so consider this the official pre-filming thread.

Anyway, the internet reaction to Jafar being young and hot is killing me Laughing . Jasmine is gonna be sitting there watching them fight like:

imekitty
Sultan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There just better be a fight scene. I don't want a repeat of the Broadway climax (i.e. super lame). :b

But I ain't complaining about Jafar being hot. I am never in opposition to sexy men.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder if they'll still do the steamy Jasmine/Jafar kiss.

Also, there is supposedly a new character to be played by Nasim Pedrad?
http://www.playbill.com/article/disneys-live-action-aladdin-casts-jafar-and-reveals-new-character
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some more info:
http://www.nme.com/news/film/cast-details-upcoming-remake-aladdin-revealed-2121191
"She will play Mara, Jasmine’s handmaiden and friend. The part is described as a “comedic supporting role”
All this is making me anxious, lol. Only so many characters left to cast... What'll happen to Iago? I don't care if he's a bird or human or who plays him, I just want him to be there! No replacements. Even if all they'll do is a name change(and if that's the case, may I suggest naming him Othello?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum