Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Aladdin to Be Featured in Once Upon a Time
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aladdin to Be Featured in Once Upon a Time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, take Jafar's staff and make it Iago. His eyes light up the same and everything Laughing

Even Jasmine's robe here, like you saw in the clip, worked really well for their travels and wasn't distracting at all.
Fez_Head
Cave of Wonders Tour Guide

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds slightly creepy, but kinda cool at the same time. You go Iago oracle thing!

I think all of the costumes in the clip actually looked really nice. A hell lot better than those hideous things currently being used in the parks.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was, especially because he was just a regular bird and didn't talk Laughing

And the world was simple but effective. It looks like a real place you can visit.
Fez_Head
Cave of Wonders Tour Guide

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didn't talk! That's not Iago. It's an imposter! It's his twin brother, Othello Smile

I wasn't too keen on the CGI in the clip (it was a little too fake for me) but let's be honest, who wouldn't want to visit Agrabah?
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually pretty on board with everything Aladdin-related so far.

1. I love that they're developing these characters, not just throwing one episode at them (like Rapunzel) or make them forgettable (like Hercules). Like Aladdin is a savior, which on this show is a big deal.

2. I like that Aladdin is not Mr. Sexy and Perfect like every other prince in this. I like that they went for closer to the original tale for his personality.

3. Costumes YAS

4. I like that the sultan acted like an imbecile because of Jafar's spell, not because he was an imbecile Razz

While the cave scene was cheesy (though the Indiana Jones + Abu reference was cute I guess), they did handle the lack of genie well. (For those who don't watch, the genie was a character from early in the show. And he was noooothing like the Genie we know and love.) I wonder if this will ever come up.

Many unanswered questions still, though. Looking forward to where this goes Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do find it interesting a lot of the recent takes on the Disney movie (the musical, this show) are using the original Aladdin's characterization more and more. I get the feeling they think it appeals to our millennial senses Laughing
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally, he was supposed to be a bit closer, right? Until there was some disbelief that Jasmine would go for him?

I also like, in this show, how the story is still in progress. Jasmine and Aladdin haven't gotten together yet, even in the modern time. It's kind of like an alternate reality retelling Smile (well I guess that's literally what it is...)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, because she was this poised, mature, beautiful young woman and he was this lazy rascally twerp Laughing.

There's more honesty, I think? To the recent characterizations in the sense that he's well-aware of his limitations and isn't going the "fake it till you make it" route movie!Aladdin did. The newer ones are like "look, I don't know who you think I am, but I'm not going in that cave/I'm not saving the city/I'm not special, etc." Movie!Aladdin was aware of his limitations, too, but we knew about them more through song and private moments more than the individual he presented. These newer ones kind of embody it as part of their protective shield or something. It's hard to explain.

And yeah, I'm super pleased to see them develop them outside of just their romance because the city still needs saving and if they just so happen to fall for each other along the way that's great.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with all of that.

Worried that he wasn't in this past episode. They aren't done with him, are they? They can't be...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea how this show works (I spend most of the time confused Laughing), but I figured they were taking a break from his story line because it's going to take more care and attention to get him back in to savior status than a few peeks in here and there.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The show focuses mostly on the main bunch (Emma, Regina, Snow, Charming/David, Hook, Henry, and Gold). Lately, new characters last for anywhere between an episode to half a season. They made a big deal out of Hercules, but he only lasted like 3 episodes.

Then again, there is usually a clean "goodbye" sequence. Aladdin and Jasmine talked about going back, but I guess they didn't really say their goodbyes. So maybe we're good Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmao poor Aladdin, he's just out here tryna live his destiny-free life and can't catch a break Laughing Belle is going on and on about how he has to help her steal that wand because of reasons and he's just like:

The Abu reference was cute!

And you're gonna have to explain the Genie one because I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be alluding to something good or bad.
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The genie reference is tricky. Sidney, the person formerly trapped in the mirror world, was both the magic mirror and the Genie of Agrabah.

But he's not free (or a good guy really) - he's cursed. And his lamp has different colors than the one Aladdin found. So I actually was kind of confused.

Then I saw the production notes on the show's wikia says this:

Quote:
At the end of the episode, Aladdin and Jasmine are talking about their old friend, the Genie, who is gone and free now. This is a reference to the late Robin Williams, who voiced the Genie in Disney's Aladdin.

The citation is a tweet from one of the writers:

https://twitter.com/leahfong/status/798026084805578753

Quote:
Aladdin and Jasmine giving a loving nod to the late, great Robin Williams #RIP #OnceUponATime

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meesh wrote:
The genie reference is tricky. Sidney, the person formerly trapped in the mirror world, was both the magic mirror and the Genie of Agrabah.

But he's not free (or a good guy really) - he's cursed. And his lamp has different colors than the one Aladdin found. So I actually was kind of confused.

Then I saw the production notes on the show's wikia says this:

Quote:
At the end of the episode, Aladdin and Jasmine are talking about their old friend, the Genie, who is gone and free now. This is a reference to the late Robin Williams, who voiced the Genie in Disney's Aladdin.

The citation is a tweet from one of the writers:

https://twitter.com/leahfong/status/798026084805578753

Quote:
Aladdin and Jasmine giving a loving nod to the late, great Robin Williams #RIP #OnceUponATime

Is that the guy we saw yesterday in the mirror world or whatever? I didn't quite catch the name (at first I thought that was the emperor from Mulan. I was like "Well that's random" Laughing)

You know, I had a feeling they were talking about him, but then you mentioned you were curious how they were going to incorporate Genie and figured that might have been it considering Aladdin said whoever is in there now might be able to help. That's sweet, though, now I'm sad Crying or Very sad
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is that the guy we saw yesterday in the mirror world or whatever? I didn't quite catch the name (at first I thought that was the emperor from Mulan. I was like "Well that's random" Laughing)

No, that was "The dragon." Unless I'm wrong, he isn't from a story. He was the only known native of "the land without magic" (our world) to have magic.

Sidney hasn't been seen since the Frozen season.

Quote:
You know, I had a feeling they were talking about him, but then you mentioned you were curious how they were going to incorporate Genie and figured that might have been it considering Aladdin said whoever is in there now might be able to help. That's sweet, though, now I'm sad Crying or Very sad

It is sweet. I guess we'll just have to see!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> News & Updates All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum