Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Prince Eric
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prince Eric
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sadira
Hero

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Prince Eric Reply with quote

Was he worth Ariel`s` trouble ? The author of Disney`s animated characters encyclopedia doesn`t seem to think so.He desribes Eric as being vain.Is Prince Eric nothing more than a sterotyped hero ?He only becomes noble towards the later part of the film.Ariel loves him at first sight ,but he doesn`t truly care for her until much later.Is it Ariel that he loves or just her beautiful singing voice?
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just take this opportunity to announce the massive amount of hate I have for Prince Eric. He's just annoying. And he would have seemingly married anyone willing to give a few moments of their time to save him.
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Little Mermaid, itself, was all crazy. It's a great film and had some great scenes don't get me wrong, but when you break it down: she gave up her whole life to marry a guy she saw three days ago on a boat.

Then we come back later to find out they had a child just about right after that whole thing. Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't she 16 in the first movie? Everything happened so fast. He wanted her because he saved her and had a beautiful voice, and she wanted him because he was handsome and was something she couldn't have.

I think they should have built up his character more cause it does seem he would have wanted anyone who saved his life, in my opinion. Vain, indeed.
xfkirsten
Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta add in my dislike for Eric. I think he could have been a great character, but he never really got much depth to him. He was just another random Prince, and Ariel never has any obvious reason for falling in love with him other than seeing him on the boat. On one hand, this seems to be the same case as with some of the original princesses (eg Snow White), but on the other hand, they did such a great job giving Ariel real depth to her personality, that Eric just seems left untouched.

Did that ramble make sense at all? Laughing

-Kirsten
Boz
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Eric. Well, I like the whole movie in general. But I do have to say that he was dumb for choosing Vanessa when he heard her sing with Ariel's voice. I know he thinks it was Vanessa who saved him but he seemed to be falling in love with Ariel when they spent some time together. He even almost kissed her, only after pulling away from her earlier. The way he acts in the movie makes him seem picky, as if he likes her then changes his mind and decides he doesn't like her, and then likes her again, etc.

I agree with you, xfkirsten. Ariel has so much personality and Eric is just kind of there.
Kam
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I hate Eric. He wasn't worth Ariel's trouble AT ALL.
Marisa
Sultan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They like to give you the impression that he's a nice guy, which they do. But I agree, he's vain.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boz wrote:
But I do have to say that he was dumb for choosing Vanessa when he heard her sing with Ariel's voice.

I don't know, from the way he acts it seems like Ursula had him under some kind of spell, not that he was genuinely fooled.

I like the movie, but I think both he and Ariel acted kind of dumb. Sure, he thought he was in love with her after only hearing her voice, but she only saw him... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sekaino Jasmine
Honorary Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The movie was about Ariel, so getting into Eric's character would've thrown the movie off-track. Plus, maybe that's just how men were back then...or maybe that's just how the Danish were/are.
Marisa
Sultan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a different note, does it seem apparent that Melody inherited her dad's... stupidity? I really don't like her. The plot was great, but they focused too much on Melody's "I'm a teen wah I don't fit in." angst. I mean, if we wanted to hear about THAT, we'd go watch Lizzie McGuire. Which I, personally, don't.
Hero

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melody is alright . She`s not one of my favorite Disney characters. I think her personality is more like Ariel than Eric. She`s strong willed and fun loving like her mother,but Ariel is a better character. Eric is even more passive in this movie. Melody is some what like him in that way. I really don`t care for this movie.
Marisa
Sultan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The premise was good -- karma comes back to haunt Ariel. I just don't think it was played out very well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marisa wrote:
On a different note, does it seem apparent that Melody inherited her dad's... stupidity? I really don't like her. The plot was great, but they focused too much on Melody's "I'm a teen wah I don't fit in." angst. I mean, if we wanted to hear about THAT, we'd go watch Lizzie McGuire. Which I, personally, don't.

I hate it when Disney emphasizes the fact that the child came out JUST LIKE one of their parents. I could have figured out Melody was going to be headstrong like Ariel with just someone telling me "We are going to make a movie about Ariel and Eric's child." That's probably why I don't care much for LM2 or LK2...or for sequels that focuses on the offspring of two other Disney characters. They could have let us pick up on things that remind of us his or her parents other than making it a obvious point.

And Eric as a father. Worse. Parent. Ever....next to Timmy Turner's parents on the Fairly Oddparents Very Happy
Marisa
Sultan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironic that you should mention Fairly Oddparents after griping about focusing on the offspring of two characters. If you've seen Channel Chasers, at the end of the movie, they fast forward to Timmy as an adult going to work and leaving his two kids (Tammy and Tommy, if I'm not mistaken) with Vicky-bot.
And though it's not aactually said or shown, but you can tell from how the kids look that Tootie was the mom X3
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marisa wrote:
And though it's not aactually said or shown, but you can tell from how the kids look that Tootie was the mom X3

Yay! Ok, anyway. Melody is Eric and Ariel's daughter thus she has a combination of her parents genes. (Wow that's amazing. This is sarcasm.)
Personally, I like girls that inherit their fathers stupidity (I wouldn't of invented Kamara Queigo if I didn't), but I think Disney sequels are being extremly way too predictable and redundant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum