Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - My Fanfic
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Fanfic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Fan Works
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lisa jane
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend not to think too much about plots for short story fan fiction (I tend to call anything under three chapters 'short story'), the more lengthy one though has had a lot of thought put into it but now that it's closer to the end it's more just writing it than thinking about it.

I've won a few but I haven't entered any in about six years now. The novels are both young adult, one more run-of-the-mill and one more similar to the genre of my short stories - I've been told I write 'psychological horror'.

I probably won't finish them though, too slack now and have other things happening Smile
JafarsRomancer
Wife to the Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, true, I'm the same way if I'm writing a short story. For some reason, I either write one-shots or stories that drag on and on. I'm not too good at figuring out a good length for stories. Razz That's nice that you've figured out the whole plot. It bugs me so much when I'm not sure how to wrap up a fic. I'm kind of going through that now and it keeps bothering me. lol

Aw, really? You should enter more! I bet you'd win a lot! ^^ Have you posted part of your novels anywhere? If so, I'd love to take a look at then! You've become my favorite author which is really saying something because I have read a LOT! xP

Yeah, I know what you mean. Besides, if you force yourself to write, it usually doesn't turn out so well, you know? :S Thanks for reading my new fic, btw! Your comments are very helpful and insightful! I look forward to them. :3
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only figured out the whole plot now that I'm nearly at the end... when I started writing the longer story, all I had planned was to the end of chapter five. I usually only write long stories with only the next couple of chapters in mind.

I haven't posted the novels anywhere in case of copyright issues should I ever publish them, but I'm flattered that I'm your favourite author Smile

Thank you for your review as well! I do think your new story is better than the other one, not necessarily because of the plot but the writing is better this time around.
JafarsRomancer
Wife to the Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's kind of what I end up doing too. I plan about five chapters ahead and then I just kind of wait and see how the story is going at that point in time, you know? The only problem is that it sometimes bugs me when I don't know what the ending of one of my stories will be.

Oh, that's very true and a good idea. I didn't think of that. Well, you definitely are! Your writing is superb! I can't think of anything average about it. It's all excellent!

Np, I loved that story and I'm going to reread it. ^^ And thanks! I think I'm better at writing in first person for some reason. lol I was also thinking about changing POVs from time to time, but we'll see I guess.
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha don't re-read it, go on to the sequel! I find writing in third person is easier when changing POVs, if you're doing it in first just make sure it's very distinct when it comes to changing the POV.

I must say though I'm impressed about how fast you update... most of the time I'm writing during quiet times at work so my updating is very slow; used to do it at home when the husband worked late or on weekends but now he's always around and gets cranky if I chose the laptop over him Razz
JafarsRomancer
Wife to the Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, alright, I suppose that's a good idea. I'm weird though, sometimes I just love re-reading things. Razz Alright, thank you for the advice. I was going to let the readers know in the A/N that I'd be changing point of views. Personally, I think that there should be a HUGE difference in Jafar and Jasmine's POVs, you know?

LOL about your husband getting cranky if you choose the laptop over him! I'm guessing you don't do that very often then, huh? xD

I got into writing last year when I was going through some pretty hard times. It was my only way to escape from real life issues, you know? That's when my love of writing began and now I usually write two hours a day unless I'm really unmotivated or completely out of ideas...which unfortunately happens more than I wish it would. xP
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be enough difference in that readers have no idea who the POV is - Jafar's POV shouldn't be replaceable with Jasmine's POV and vice versa, and they'd most likely have different reactions to things. It's why I tend to find third person is easier to write in to switch POVs because it's a bit clearer than first person, but perhaps try changing POV shortly and seeing how it works.

Haha no, I don't generally choose the laptop over him; it did initially come out of a rule that all computers and laptops had to be shut down or put away if we were both home when he was gone a lot so we actually spent time together. But to be fair he does ask if I mind him playing video games or whatever.
JafarsRomancer
Wife to the Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I completely agree. Jafar and Jasmine would certainly act very different to situations. I see what you mean about third person. For some reason, I'm pretty awful at writing in third person though. Is that weird? Most people say it's easier than first. I think I will try it soon. Thanks for the advice. ^^

Lol, well, sometimes rules are good. xD Do you guys get to spend more time together now or are you both gone a lot of the time? I dunno if I could handle something like that. I'm kind of a needy person. xP That's nice that he asks at least. Do you like video games at all? I don't really play them ever, but my dad LOVES the TV. I swear he always has the TV on. It can be very distracting when you're trying to get stuff done.
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure third person is supposed to be easier than first but it depends on the person... both come fairly naturally to me, I used to write in second person on occasion and that's hard.

We spend more time together now - we both switched jobs so now we work normal 9-5 hours (I used to work twelve hours a day, he used to work nights and weekends, plus business trips). But now to be honest, we don't actually like so much time together, mostly cause we're used to doing our own thing. I like video games but I'm pretty bad at them, but our TV is constantly on...
JafarsRomancer
Wife to the Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think you're right. It's just that I always like writing from my point of view and if I get into the characters enough, I like writing from their perspective. It seems more...personal, I guess. What do you think? Omg, I can't write in second person. That's just too hard and I won't attempt it. Razz What did you think of the pieces you wrote in second person?

Wow, before you switched jobs, you must've worked a lot! Twelve hours a day would be very tiring. Before that, was it like your husband was always gone when you were home and vice versa? I can understand that. I like doing my own thing too. Lol, yes, I am bad at video games as well. I just...I don't know, I'm not talented at them. xD What kinds of things do you like watching on TV? ...I ask such random things. Razz
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend not to think about writing in first or third person, I find that I'll start writing in either one at the beginning of a story and that it just seems to fit. I get more of a problem staying in the right tense - ie, either sticking to the past tense, or future tense. I like the pieces I wrote in second person but they're probably not my best - they still got published though.

Haha I did work a lot, I'm in a much more relaxed job now - his is more stressful, but it's something he enjoys more; the idea for us is that we plan to have children soonish, so I wanted a job that I could kick-back and not worry about leaving, while he wanted more of a career.

At the moment we tend to watch girly reality shows that I tape from tv! He tends to pretend that he's not watching them from over the top of his computer but he'll sit and watch wedding shows with me, but other than that we're mostly watching The Big Bang Theory at the moment.

By the way, some recommendations:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2933887/1/On_Electric_Girls_And_Worn_Down_Toys

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3900779/1/A_Drinking_Contest

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4527497/1/Poison_Power_Play

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6225878/1/Disney_Chatroom

The last story is the funniest Disney story I've ever read.
JafarsRomancer
Wife to the Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. I just starting writing in first or third and that works! I have problems with the tenses sometimes as well. For some reason, I need to write everything in past tense usually. Writing in present tense is rather hard for me...I'm not sure why. What tense seems to be easiest for you? Oh, I'm sure they were brilliant if you wrote them! ^^

That's great about your job! What do you do now? You don't have to say if you don't want to. And that's nice about your husband as well. I really hope to have a job that I actually enjoy someday. And aw, that would be amazing! How many children would you want to have? :3

LOL about the girly reality shows! I had a similar thing happen with my dad. So he told me how much he hated vampires and the idea of vampire books and TV shows. Guess what I found hiding in one of the drawers? True Blood! I had quite a laugh over that. ^^

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll read them soon! I'm still reading yours atm though. I'm a very slow reader, I know. I have read the Power Play one! Wasn't that really good? I thought the writing was excellent. :3
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find writing in past tense is easier, but I have a habit of forgetting what tense I'm writing in so I always have to read over it to make sure it make sense.

I'm a medical receptionist, it's normally pretty relaxed. I ideally want to have a couple of children but the husband didn't want any for a long time and now one child is his limit and a compromise. We're hoping to be pregnant by the end of next year at least but we'll see what happens.

Haha my Dad hates True Blood, my Mum loves it. We generally watch Next Top Model at the moment, which the husband does like because he likes fashion.

I love all those stories, I read your chapter updates when they come out. Your fan-girl story is going really well; I am questioning Jafar being OOC in the Jafar/Jasmine story but I'm waiting to see the next couple of chapters before I decide if he is (and Jasmine would be right - he is bald Razz).
JafarsRomancer
Wife to the Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too! Tense isn't really something I think about. I just kind of write however I want and then try to edit it when I'm done. Do you do much editing? I find editing extremely boring and I'm pretty lazy when it comes to that. Razz

A medical receptionist sounds like a good job. It sounds like something you'd be really good at. Compromising can be hard! At least your husband said okay to one though. ^^ I have my fingers crossed for you! Let me know if you find out you're pregnant. That would be so exciting. :3

Lol, really? It's the opposite with my parents and True Blood. Dad loves it and mom hates it. What's your opinion on it? Oh, I actually like Next Top Model a lot, but I always get jealous after seeing how pretty everyone is.

Oh, thanks so much for still reading my chapters! I'll read more of yours soon! For some reason, I've been really exhausted and lazy lately. I know what you mean about Jafar being OOC; he's being too nice, isn't he? I had him slap her in the next chapter, so maybe that will get him a bit more IC. And LOL, I know, but I just don't like seeing him that way. I saw this pic and decided he could look like this instead:

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs5/i/2004/298/0/1/Gentle_disturb____by_ADriana_XST.jpg
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really do much editing... I'll go through spelling and grammar and then that's about it, but I do need to re-load all the chapters for the first story back to FanFiction.net, because the site messed up the formatting.

Haha it's not going to be for quite some time, we'll see what happens.

I like True Blood but I'm fairly behind on it, I like the books more. I do prefer the American Top Model show over the Australian one, only because the American one seems to have a more diverse range of women on it, and the Australian one you have to be stick-thin and under the age of 22 I think. You can't compare yourself to people like that Sad

He is being too nice, except for slapping her, but even his dialogue seems too nice, which is why I was going to wait a chapter or two to see why. I'd read this one if I were you for being IC - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3997465/1/What_Love_Makes_Us_Do. The grammar and punctuation is not good, but as far as keeping them in IC, it's good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Fan Works All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum