Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Fics based on other people's stories
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fics based on other people's stories

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Fan Works
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VampireNaomi
Sultan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Fics based on other people's stories Reply with quote

I'm in need of some moral advice here. For the past few days, I've been on a Mechanikles kick and went through my old files and pics of him. I discovered a story that I wrote some time in 2005, I think. The story is an alternative ending to this story by Mica West. I loved the story and idea but felt the ending was a little rushed, so I tried another approach. At the time, I was unable to contact Mica for permission, so I never posted the fic anywhere.

Now I'm feeling a little nostalgic, and I thought it might be fun to share the story with others. However, if Mica didn't reply to my messages then, she most certainly won't do it now. I don't think she can be contacted in any way.

Do you think it would be out of line to post the story?
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as long as you're mentioning all of what you're telling us (mostly the "alternative version of this person's story" bit), I don't have a problem with it since you're not claiming the original story to be yours and you've tried to contact the author for permission. If they come back and want the story taken down, then you can talk to them about it directly, but it's been six years - I doubt they're coming back, too.
VampireNaomi
Sultan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! That's probably what I'll do once I find the time to give the story a proper grammar check.
Calluna
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it's been at least 10 years; I don't think she's coming back. Laughing I would just put an author's note explaining what happened and that she can contact you if she wants it taken down. You've done your due dilligence. Laughing

Now, if this was someone you could still contact, then definitely you'd want to get permission first.
VampireNaomi
Sultan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too bad that she's gone. It would be fun to talk to another Mechanikles fan, and I just got a review from someone who'd like me to continue my alternative ending. The idea is tempting, but I don't feel comfortable writing so much about someone else's original character and developing her so much further without permission, so I won't do it.

I wonder why I even like Myrna so much. She's the kind of character who usually gets my Mary Sue warning bells ringing. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Fan Works All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum