Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - How Jasmine Stands out
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Jasmine Stands out
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurora 101
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: How Jasmine Stands out Reply with quote

Jasmine is so different from the other DP's because not only is she smart but she didn't just date Al as soon as she saw him. She didn't rush thier relationship.... She just wanted to marry for love and only love. Smile
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the relationship (as the first movie had it) was pretty rushed, with the immediate engagement and all. Not that it could be helped- she pretty much had to jump the gun with whatever guy happened to make her feel good. This is one of the reasons I'm glad we had the series- the relationship would seem way to fakey and contrived without it, IMO.
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SalukFan wrote:
Well, the relationship (as the first movie had it) was pretty rushed, with the immediate engagement and all. Not that it could be helped- she pretty much had to jump the gun with whatever guy happened to make her feel good. This is one of the reasons I'm glad we had the series- the relationship would seem way to fakey and contrived without it, IMO.

All Disney relationships are rushed like that. I blame this for the huge divorce rate in America as well. Those little girls all thought they were going to have a relationship like Ariel, married the first guy they saw and now want a divorce.

But at least Al and Jas were rushed with chemisty. And they did date for a while. You know that's a rarity in the Disney universe. She didn't dance with some guy, he sent other people to find her based on a shoe size and they were married based off that. *hits head*
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Disney romances with the Disney princesses were rushed. I mean, every single one.

Snow White: meets a prince once at a well. she doesn't see him ever again until one day he happens to be strolling by and decides to kiss a dead girl. not only is that totally gross, but it makes no sense. she should of gone with one of the dwarves, at least they tried to save her.

Sleeping Beauty: she has never met one man her entire 16 years of life, and then suddenly she's in the woods and meets a handsome man, but doesn't even try to get to know him. the man then rushes home, says he's going to marry this girl... and then risks his life for her. they knew eachother a total of what... 10 MINUTES! that is realisitic, yeah uh huh.. NOT.

Cinderella: you have this wimpy, slave girl who can't even take her own damn house away from the ugly relatives. she then has to have a fairy godmother give her what she needs. she meets the prince, dances for like 10 MINUTES, and then goes home. the prince then decides he wants to marry this girl... he spoke like 3 words to. not realisitic.

::skip a few unimportant minor princesses::

Ariel: supposed to be a new modern day princess for us, but that was based only on the clothes. a girl with hardly any romantic past, growing up with a beautiful voice. i have to say though, at least her and eric got to know eachother, and he didn't just marry her for how she looked. he overlooked that she didn't have a voice, and saw her for her beauty/attitude. but she is the one who fell head over heels...er... huh... fins for the first man she saw... without even talking to him. this one is sorta reversed, the woman only liked the man for his beauty.

JASMINE: although I loved the movie Aladdin, i still the say the romance was pretty wrong. jasmine had been locked up in the palace, meeting horrid suitors almost her whole life. she met a man at the market place, and didn't even know his name, and she fell in love with him. in come prince ali, she knows him for maybe 3 hours, and she already decides he's the one. another rushed romance... and not realistic. she fell for the first "decent" man she met.

Belle: belle fell in love with a beast, and the only decent romance in the princess stories. she got to know him, saw past his ugliness and fell in love with him. it wasn't rushed... but then again, belle isn't a real disney princess either.

Mulan: fell in love with a man after getting to know him, a strong independent woman, an actually good modern day romance. the woman is the rescuer. NOT A DISNEY PRINCESS I MIGHT ADD.

Pocohontas: just like mulan, pretty much the same damn thing.

But you also have to remember ALL THE DISNEY PRINCESSES WERE EITHER 16 OR TURNING 16. It was a prime age, but still a naive one... that explains some of it.

MEESH AND MYSTICMEG'S COMBINED STORY!!!

Just another weird lil' fanfiction obsession of mine...
Calluna

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, considering that Jasmine was supposed to be married in three days, the fact that they could drag it out for three years seems like quite an accomplishment to me. Laughing
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hourglass wrote:
..she met a man at the market place, and didn't even know his name, and she fell in love with him. in come prince ali, she knows him for maybe 3 hours, and she already decides he's the one. another rushed romance... and not realistic. she fell for the first "decent" man she met.[/b]

Weeeeellll, that's where my favorite scene comes in when they are on the pagoda. He basically told her he was the same person, it's just that when she met him the first time he was "pretending" to be a commoner. So she fell in love with the same person, and was skeptical that it was the person she met in the marketplace to begin with. She just figured he did what she did which was "dress like a commoner to escape the pressures of palace life."
Sadira
Hero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jasmine is different,because she just wanted to live a normal life.She actually enjoys being around commoners.Jasmine`s main goal was to make her own choices. The idea of getting married was her father`s idea and not her own. I doubt she would have married as soon as she did,if it wasn`t nessary. I think Jasmine was much more interested in living indepently than being married.Most princesses wanted to get married without a father forcing the issue.This element alone makes her different from the other princesses.I wonder what would happen if she wasn`t forced to marry? Now that I think about it,What did Jasmine do during the night she ran away? She was able to stay in one piece,even though it was her first time outside the palace.The fact that she gets in trouble in the morning doesn`t make sense.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadira wrote:
Now that I think about it,What did Jasmine do during the night she ran away? She was able to stay in one piece,even though it was her first time outside the palace.The fact that she gets in trouble in the morning doesn`t make sense.

Which is why I believe she ran away early morning right before the sun arose because there is no way in hell she slept on the streets for a night. Nuh uh, didn't happen. *covers ears* I'm not listening! La, la, la Laughing
Sadira
Hero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did Jasmine learn to do that jump ? That`s pretty good for someone,who`s never been outside the palace. Smile The other Disney princesses can`t do that.I think some poor family took her in for the night.A group of street smart kids could have taught her that trick.I might write a story about it.
Princess Amber
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's a fast learner. Smile
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadira wrote:
How did Jasmine learn to do that jump ? That`s pretty good for someone,who`s never been outside the palace. Smile The other Disney princesses can`t do that.I think some poor family took her in for the night.A group of street smart kids could have taught her that trick.I might write a story about it.

Part of me still thinks that she was taught some type of defenses for an extreme emergency. They had to teach her something all those years. Except thievery Laughing
Princess Amber
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be right about that. Like, just in case someone tried to kidnap her and the guards couldn't hear her. Very Happy
xfkirsten
Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - Disney romances tend to be very rushed. The romance between Aladdin and Jasmine is just as rushed, but I think they did a much better job of at least giving them an emotional connection rather than something really superficial (like watching him dance a jig Laughing ).

As far as Jasmine being on the streets that night, I agree that she left early in the morning. If she left at night, she certainly didn't get very far before the market got busy. Laughing I've always wondered what would have happened though, if the palace guards hadn't caught up to them.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xfkirsten wrote:
Laughing I've always wondered what would have happened though, if the palace guards hadn't caught up to them.

The rating of the movie would have changed Laughing
But I think Abu might have tried to stop them or something.
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
She actually enjoys being around commoners.

You just picked out my problem with "The Ethereal". I still don't understand the motivation of the Ethereal. Maybe before "Do the Rat Thing", where Jasmine and Sultan are ignorant of the people and perhaps don't appreciate them, but after that, I don't get it at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum