Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - 80s TV
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

80s TV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: 80s TV Reply with quote

I was fixing to go on about 80s cartoons in another thread, so I thought I'd start this thread.
So, is there anyone that remembers and still enjoys 80s cartoons?
My favourites are Jem, She-Ra, Rainbow Brite, My Little Pony, The Smurfs, Legend of Zelda... Just to name a few.
I've got all 65 episodes of Jem on VHS, and the two DVD boxsets that were released, as well as all thirteen episodes of Zelda, and I just ordered the She-Ra Best of DVD boxset.

As for live action shows...The Facts of Life, Punky Brewster, Mama's Family (I love that show!) ... I could go on there, too, but there were so many good 80s sitcoms.

Anyone else have any favourites?

~Hikaru
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to watch Jem and the Holograms... but I was too young to remember it except for a few brief images.

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG,I have Punky Brewster's christmas special on tape, along with a few episodes of the animated series Laughing.

I think I have an episode of Rainbow Brite around, too. I remember liking that, though, because I like colors.

I liked the Smurfs more than I liked the Snorkles.

I had a gazillion My Little Ponies, but now I have like 5.

I have a few things of Carebears recorded, too.

There's a few things I remember that might be border line 80s/early ninties, so I would have to look a few things up before I said anything else I liked.
AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
OMG,I have Punky Brewster's christmas special on tape, along with a few episodes of the animated series Laughing.

They have that on DVD now, and it's the live action show along with the cartoon eps. I actually had only seen the cartoon while it was on, and one of the live episodes, but my best friend has the series on DVD, so I watched a lot of that at her house and was sort of hooked.

Quote:
I think I have an episode of Rainbow Brite around, too. I remember liking that, though, because I like colors.

Yeah. The rainbows sparkled, too. I have all the episodes, but they are on different tapes and not all together. I also have (I think) all the Rainbow Brite songs on a CD I burned.

Quote:
I liked the Smurfs more than I liked the Snorkles.

It's Snorks, but yeah. The Smurfs are better. It's funny to hear them say, "Smurf this" and "Smurf that," or "Brainy! Smurf up!" Laughing I have this love & hate thing going for Brainy. One time, on a Yahoo! mailing group, this person was getting all Brainy Smurf on everybody, and I added the words and phrases necessary to make it a Brainy Smurf speech, and was fixing to send it back to the group, but I didn't want to start a flame war, so I refrained from such a malicious action. (If I remember correctly, my friend and I got a good laugh out of it, though.)
I also like Grouchy Smurf, because it's funny to hear him say "I hate [whatever you just said]" (I have an odd sense of humour.)

Quote:
I had a gazillion My Little Ponies, but now I have like 5.

A My Little Pony is the first thing my husband ever gave to me. It's purple with pink, blue and white hair. (I thought he had given that one to me, because those are my favourite colours, but he gave it to me because the other one he had had neon green hair, and he wanted to send some variety, because I had also bought a Pizzazz doll from him at the time.) I have a whole box full of MLPs around somewhere, and a whole box of fashion dolls (those are just the ones I decided to keep.) under my bed. Of course, there's Jem dolls, but there's also some Barbies, a couple of the Saved by the Bell dolls, and a few Maxie dolls. (Maxie came right after Jem, but apparently wasn't as much of a hit.)

Quote:
I have a few things of Carebears recorded, too.

I just recently bought a Cheer Bear that came with a DVD. That particular series didn't focus on all the Care Bears like the other series. I have some eps of that one though, too. I also have the first Care Bears movie on DVD, and would like to get the second one sometime, but I do have them both on VHS.

I'm not obsessed with the 80s or anything. Wink

~Hikaru
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn those Snorks for sounding like scuba equipment Laughing. There's this skit from Family Guy where they make fun of the Smurfs and their language. "Right in the Smurfin' parking lot? That's freakin' Smurf!" Laughing

I have a Maxie tape upstairs! I remember thinking it was a relative of Barbie Laughing. I have a Barbie and the Rockers thing, too. I need to go through my old tapes and see what I have.

I have a Care Bears movie, too. Care Bears in Wonderland, I think...
AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Darn those Snorks for sounding like scuba equipment Laughing. There's this skit from Family Guy where they make fun of the Smurfs and their language. "Right in the Smurfin' parking lot? That's freakin' Smurf!" Laughing

I have a Maxie tape upstairs! I remember thinking it was a relative of Barbie Laughing. I have a Barbie and the Rockers thing, too. I need to go through my old tapes and see what I have.

I have a Care Bears movie, too. Care Bears in Wonderland, I think...

When my sister, our friends and I would play Barbies, we always portrayed Maxie as Barbie's rival. We didn't have any Maxie dolls, but we pretended she was there.
I used to have Rocker Barbie (Barbie & the Rockers) but I never owned a Jem until I got older. They used to play a Christmas episode of Barbie & the Rockers every year.
I think I have The Care Bears in Wonderland floating around someplace.

Oh, I also have a Star Fairies video. I even used to have some Star Fairies. I think all they made was that one movie, but their whole concept was just awesome, and fit right in with Rainbow Brite and Care Bears.

~Hikaru
Spartan Girl
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to watch the Care Bears and My Little Pony. I remember that I had a ton of the My Little Pony Toys and one Care Bear.

But my favorites were Garfield and Friends and Inspector Gadget. Maybe I should get those on DVD...
Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Adult Swim, they're playing "Peewee's Playhouse" and I've been watching it alot lately. Why can't more kid's shows be like this?
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to watch Inspector Gadget like every day. I made fun of him a lot, though. I also watched Pee Wee's Play House. I have to remember to turn on the TV when it comes on, so I know what the secret word is. That way, when my husband says it, I can scream and he'll be all, "You're weird."

~Hikaru
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have my My Little Ponies. My mother bought them for me when I was little when she found them on clearance because she thought they were cute. I never watched the cartoon, though.

Ah, Inspector Gadget... I never managed to watch that until fairly recently, and even then, only a few episodes. It's a bit nerve-grating, but the character themes from Inspecteur Gadget are awesome. Very Happy

Merkal
Sultan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

80's kid here. Loved toons as GI Joe, C.O.P.S, Dinoriders and many others. Series as Knight Rider, Love Boat, Operation Petticoat, The A-Team, Full House (of course). the muppets, Saved by the Bell, Airwolf, Happy Days.

But not everything from that decade is great. I hate "Married...With Children" that's stil being in reruns today. The Cosby Show, Life Goes On, Who's the Boss?, Empty Nest.

Special shows that are forgotten about but where excellent then Unsolved Mysteries, Murphy Brown, Beauty and the Beast with Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman), Alfred J. Kwak and Midnight Caller.

I played allot with actions toys as Transformers and He-Man but mostly I was playing with my Lego.
Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh the Muppets! I used to watch "Fraggle Rock" all the time and we recently saw the first season on DVD. Jim Henson is a pure good.
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically, I used to hate the Muppets until I saw Muppet Christmas Carol. When I was little, my definition of 'Muppets' was 'Muppet Babies' and I hated that show with a passion.

Somehow, I never made the connection that Sesame Street was also Muppets. Razz

AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merkal wrote:
Unsolved Mysteries

That theme song, to this day, scares the CRAP out of me Laughing. I change the channel every time I hear it's on.
AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merkal wrote:
80's kid here. Loved toons as GI Joe, C.O.P.S, Dinoriders and many others. Series as Knight Rider, Love Boat, Operation Petticoat, The A-Team, Full House (of course). the muppets, Saved by the Bell, Airwolf, Happy Days.

But not everything from that decade is great. I hate "Married...With Children" that's stil being in reruns today. The Cosby Show, Life Goes On, Who's the Boss?, Empty Nest.

Special shows that are forgotten about but where excellent then Unsolved Mysteries, Murphy Brown, Beauty and the Beast with Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman), Alfred J. Kwak and Midnight Caller.

I played allot with actions toys as Transformers and He-Man but mostly I was playing with my Lego.

Ick! I HATE Married With Children! I used to watch it, but that was before I knew any better. When I moved in with my dad, he would not let me watch that program.

I looooove Happy Days, though Very Happy I never really considered that an '80s show, though, since it started in the '70s, but some eps did run in the '80s.

Anyone remember Small Wonder?

~Hikaru
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum