Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Superhero Girlfriends
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Superhero Girlfriends
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spartan Girl
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Superhero Girlfriends Reply with quote

Okay, this is something that has been on my mind a lot lately, especially since today I saw the "Superman Returns" movie trailer. Does anyone seem to notice that almost all of the girlfriends superheroes range from unlikable to downright nasty? A lot of them come off as shallow and selfish, always complaining about [how their boyfriends are letting them down and that they need a life of their own.

Granted, some of them don't know their boyfriends are leading double lives. Still, shouldn't the ones who do know try to do something proactive to help the heroes save the world, or at least try to understand how important their jobs are instead of whining about their needs.

Here are a few in particular I can't stand:

Mary Jane from the "Spider-man" movies: Am I the only one who couldn't stand her??? She was so cool in the comics, but in the movie she was such a snob! It was bad enough that in the first movie she barely acknowleged Peter's existence until the end when she came to Peter, saying that he was the only one for her. Confused Then in the second movie, she uses another guy to get back at him! Question: if she supposedly knew that he was Spider-man the whole time, then shouldn't saving people be a tad more important than seeing some dumb play?

Lana Lang from "Smallville": I hate her so much. Seriously, if I have to endure one more episode when she complains about secrets and lies, I will hurl. I'm kind of hoping she turns evil because she's dating Lex. That way, they'll have an excuse to get rid of her.

Jean Grey from the "X-Men" movies: I'm glad she's part of the team instead of a helpless damsel in distress, but I can't respect anyone who can't choose between two guys.

And now in "Superman Returns," they're turning Lois Lane, who was so cool in the comics and TV show, into another whiny superhero girlfriend because she rubs her new relationship in Superman's face! (See the trailer, and you'll see what I mean)

I know these are just fictional characters, but they still annoy me! What do you guys think?
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you try choosing between Scott and Logan and see how you fare?

As for Jean Gray, I think she'd already made her choice. However, this absolutely gorgeous stranger walks in one day... and leaves her temporarily distracted. In the end, though, her loyalties were with Scott.

To quote Janette: "How many of you wouldn't forget your boyfriends for at least one day if someone who looked like Mozenrath came to your school?"

I think in Mary Jane's case, she was still in love with Peter, but felt that she had to get on with her life and was desperate to fill the void Peter had left. (And as I'm sure as many ladies here can attest, AF uniforms are HOT. )

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
Ariellen
Scourge of the Desert

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll come back to this; I have a lot of Peter Parker/Mary Jane Watson thoughts running through my head now that I can't quite get into words. Smile

I have only seen the first X-Men film (which I really liked!) and am not very familiar with that or any other comic book series besides Spider-Man.
Spartan Girl
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syera wrote:
As for Jean Gray, I think she'd already made her choice. However, this absolutely gorgeous stranger walks in one day... and leaves her temporarily distracted. In the end, though, her loyalties were with Scott.

Okay, maybe Jean Gray was a bad example. It's more of the fact that I can't stand love triangles in general, because it usually implies that at least one party involved is too chicken to make up his/her mind.

Back to Mary Jane, it wasn't as much that she was dating another guy as it was that she was rubbing Peter's face in it. Did you see the smug look that she gave Peter upon entering the party with Jameson's son?? Grr. And she shouldn't have stood that guy up at the alter, nobody deserves that.
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... the party that is usually too chicken to make up his/her mind is the writer. And if they actually get around to pairing somebody up, they'll kill off one of 'em eventually.

GAH.

Ariellen
Scourge of the Desert

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartan Girl wrote:
Grr. And she shouldn't have stood that guy up at the alter, nobody deserves that.

I do agree with that, and not only because the slo-mo running through New York in a wedding gown was cheesy, though it definitely was. The ending of that movie was simultaneously satisfying and disappointing. I think the satisfaction is the fact that I like Peter so much, and he wanted to be with her so badly. I was glad they got together, but the manner in which it all happened seemed really silly. And I'm guessing from the look on her face at the end that she's going to start feeling resentful of his being Spider-Man (which would make sense and DID happen in the comics)...but come ON! "Peter, I am totally, completely, 100% ready and willing to be with you, Spider-Man or not." *disaster* "Go get 'em, Tiger. *longing, depressed, bitter, 'oh shoot what did I just say?' face*" Um, yeah, abrupt much?
AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syera wrote:
Why don't you try choosing between Scott and Logan and see how you fare?

To quote Janette: "How many of you wouldn't forget your boyfriends for at least one day if someone who looked like Mozenrath came to your school?"

I so could relate! He'd be all I could think about! Very Happy

~Hikaru
AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually never got into the super hero girlfriends much. The only Lois Lane I really know is the one from Lois & Clark, and I like her.

There is a lot of not telling the bf/gf about the whole secret identity thing, though. Not necessarily just in super heroes, but anybody who has a secret identity. Now, if a super hero were to keep it from his/her significant other, I can fully understand the desire to keep your loved ones safe and uninvolved with danger, but when the alterego is a rock star who the boyfriend is also attracted to... *ahem* Sorry, getting off track here...

~Hikaru
Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disney Princess wrote:
Spartan Girl wrote:
Grr. And she shouldn't have stood that guy up at the alter, nobody deserves that.

I do agree with that, and not only because the slo-mo running through New York in a wedding gown was cheesy, though it definitely was. The ending of that movie was simultaneously satisfying and disappointing. I think the satisfaction is the fact that I like Peter so much, and he wanted to be with her so badly. I was glad they got together, but the manner in which it all happened seemed really silly. And I'm guessing from the look on her face at the end that she's going to start feeling resentful of his being Spider-Man (which would make sense and DID happen in the comics)...but come ON! "Peter, I am totally, completely, 100% ready and willing to be with you, Spider-Man or not." *disaster* "Go get 'em, Tiger. *longing, depressed, bitter, 'oh shoot what did I just say?' face*" Um, yeah, abrupt much?

Maybe it's a face of worry, because she knows what's lies ahead for him in his path, having experienced it as well.
Scourge of the Desert

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nez wrote:
Maybe it's a face of worry, because she knows what's lies ahead for him in his path, having experienced it as well.

That could be; I hope you're right and that's the approach they're going for. Sigh, why mus we wait a whole year for Spider-Man 3?
Spartan Girl
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope so too. I can't wait for Spider-man 3; I keep going to imdb.com to see if they've leaked an official premise yet. I'm pretty sure that there are going to be 3 villains this time (Venom, Sandman, Green Goblin 2), especially if its the last one and they want to go out in glory.

Of all the superheroes, Spider-man seems to be the one who gets the worst time. It's bad enough that he has all that guilt from what happened to his uncle, but to keep save a city that is convinced by A TABLOID that you are evil, not to mention having a personal life that's a mess is unfair.

That's why I sympathize with Peter so much, and why Mary Jane better be less of a you-know-what in the third movie. Because if she's going to start resenting him behind his back for being Spider-man, then Peter should find someone better.

No offense to those that like the movie Mary Jane.
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where've you heard anything about Vendom and Sandman? I'd think Lizard would be a far more parsimonious choice at this point.

And since when was the entire city convinced Spider-Man was evil? They seemed to like him overall.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syera wrote:
Where've you heard anything about Vendom and Sandman? I'd think Lizard would be a far more parsimonious choice at this point.

I saw a teaser poster online that looked like it had Spidey in the black suit. Though, the whole image was pretty much in shades of grey, so that could be the reason.

I've heard rumors of Venom too; less on Sandman. I think it would be really stupid if they DIDN'T use GG after the ending of Spidey 2, though I agree with you that I'd like to see Lizard. I mean, Peter's in Dr. Connors' class and was excited to be studying with him, etc. I thought the best thing about the first 2 movies was that both of Spider-Man's nemeses' alter-egos were people that Peter Parker respected a lot. Harry as the Goblin would continue that trend, for sure. And Lizard would, too...Venom and Sandman? Depends on how they set it up, I guess.

*still excited for 3rd movie*
Ariellen
Scourge of the Desert

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ 'Twas I.
Spartan Girl
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syera wrote:

And since when was the entire city convinced Spider-Man was evil? They seemed to like him overall.

Check the Internet Movie Database (imdb.com)--they've been confirmed and casted.

Yes, the city does like him on the whole; that scene on the train in the second movie was beautiful, even though my brother and I knew all Doc Oc had to do was just shove them aside...

But still, Superman never had the problem of the Daily Planet making up terrible stories about him all the time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum