Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Shang and Mulan
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shang and Mulan
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sadira
Hero

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Shang and Mulan Reply with quote

I think it`s interesting the way Disney developed a balance between these two characters.Mulan and Shang are different ,but they still have some things in common. Even though Shang appears to be a no nonsense captain, he still has a sense of humor and a gentle nature under it all.He is also unsure of himself at times.He cares about what people think and he doesn`t want to disappoint his father. Shang tries to follow the path that society has set for him and he does well. This is my only problem with Shang.I know that he lives in a time, when people are forced to live up to society`s ideals,but I feel like he`s trying to smother his own personality.In a way, this makes him a much more complex character.He has a inner struggle. Mulan`s struggle is a bit more dramatic because it is much more obvious. Her true nature shines through no matter what happens.She`s the sort of person, who can`t be anything, but herself.She`s much more willing to speak her mind. Despite all this, the characters each have something to offer one another.She offers him a unconventional way of looking at things.He teaches her endurance.
Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. A good observation if I ever saw one.

Ever done film appreciation for a class?
Sadira
Hero

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can`t be the only one, who finds Shang`s conflicting character elements disturbing. These are the scenes where he was going to behead Mulan and the part shortly after that.He tells her that she doesn`t belong with them.I think I`m making too big a deal about this. Oh well... That`s just the way Iam. By the way, Has anyone heard any news about Mulan 2 ? I need to get a life! Rolling Eyes I spend to much time thinking about cartoons.
Sadira
Hero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don`t expect Mulan 2 to be as good as the first film,but I`m looking forward to it.Normally, I`m never excited about sequels. I really want to see the growth of Shang and Mulan`s relationship. Hopefully,this element alone will make the film worth while. The plot doesn`t sound promising.
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say about Mulan 2 is that the scene in the trailer of Mulan tackling Shang post-proposal is really, really aggrivating. *Sigh* I liked class and subtlety better. But I'll give it a chance to win me over in the context of the film.
Aurora 101
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I want to know was how did "Ping" pick Shang up with one arm when the moutian fell on the huns? Confused
Tar
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadira wrote:
I can`t be the only one, who finds Shang`s conflicting character elements disturbing.

It's not at all disturbing, in my opinion. These inconsistancies and uncertainties make Shang who he is, someone sure who he is supposed to be, but unsure if he is really able to be that person. He's self-confident and mentally strong, but a character without conflicts is an uninteresting character. I love Shang.

Mulan II sucked. Every single Disney sequel I've ever seen (except RoJ and KoT - and even those weren't half as good as the original) sucked. The plot is contrived, the movie is silly, its characters'actions pointless, the songs far from charming, and it's SO unrealistic. Ugh.

Last edited by Tar on Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Princess Lydia
Elemental

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds okay but I saw the commericial and I think mulan is played by a different actor for the voice I don't know for sure though! Confused
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only sequels I have liked (that aren't Aladdin related) are Toy Story 2 and Return to Neverland. All the others I have seen, but not really cared much for. Atlantis 2 and Lilo and Stitch 2 are exceptions because they were made to introduce a TV series.
Princess Lydia
Elemental

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah I agree AG those were my only favorites two.

I they don't spend as much time on the secound show as they with the first crazy huh? I wish they would have though! Shocked
Tar
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Princess Lydia wrote:
It sounds okay but I saw the commericial and I think mulan is played by a different actor for the voice I don't know for sure though! Confused

I watched the original Mulan in English and Mulan II in French, so I couldn't say.

I didn't care for Toy Story II, either. I simply do not like Disney's poor attempt at sequels just to rake in a bit more cash. RoJ and KoT are exceptions only because they star the wonderful characters I can't help but love. Unlike the other sequels - Lion King, Pocohantas, etc - which only managed to ruin the characters for me.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't even go there with LK 2 Mad I hate the element of bringing kids into sequels.

Whenever I watch the first Pocahontas and it gets to the end where she tells him "I'll always be with you and I'll never leave you" blah, blah blah, I always yell at the screen "Don't believe her! She's got another John lined up when she goes to England. She doesn't mean it!" Pocahontas 2 totally makes the ending of the first one hilarious. Laughing
Tar
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie886 wrote:
Pocahontas 2 totally makes the ending of the first one hilarious. Laughing

I prefer to pretend I never even heard of a movie called "Pocahontas 2" when I'm watching the first one. Razz

I hate Rolph (or whatever his name was), and I hate Kiara and Kovu, and I hate the stupid princesses in Mulan II, and I'm just not a huge fan of sequels. I don't really even care for Genie!Jafar that much (don't kill me). Mad
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't even go there with LK 2

I always like TLK 2, but only for the villain side. Zira/Nuka/Vitani/Kovu (sort of) have my love. Kiara, however... can die.

In terms of sequels, I loved both Aladdin sequels (obviously, KOT much, much more than ROJ), Toy Story 2, both TLK sequels (1.5 a lot more), and Lilo 2 ... and that's about it. HoND2, Pocahontas 2, and RtN all bothered the hell out of me. Stupid, stupid films... *beats them*
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tar wrote:
I don't really even care for Genie!Jafar that much (don't kill me). Mad

No harm done. I just love Jafar in general, so he could have been an evil balloon and I would have watched.
....Although I don't think an evil balloon would have been that cruel. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum