Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Hey!
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hey!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JafarsRomancer
Wife to the Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, yes, I wonder how Disney got away with it too, but it's a very good film! Do you have any favorite parts in it? I think they did a great job with Esmerelda and Hellfire has got to be one of my favorite songs. ^^
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the music/score is one of my favorites Very Happy
~*AmberEyes*~
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new too-eek! Nice to meet ya-i'm Mel Very Happy
JafarsRomancer
Wife to the Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mel! It's great to meet you! You seem very nice. ^^

AladdinsGenie: I agree! The music was very good. Have you seen Hercules?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've seen most of Disney's movies Laughing
JafarsRomancer
Wife to the Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome! I haven't seen too many, but I'm making it my goal to watch most of them! Any that you would recommend? ^^
Vizier's Handmaiden

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't seen Mulan, you need to.

As far as the "OMG Belle is the smartest princess" thing...I actually think Mulan is easily as smart as, if not smarter, than Belle. She isn't seen reading books very much, but she IS seen being an innovative and winning tactician. People act like one is "the smart princess" and one is "the brave princess" but Belle isn't a cringing flower who avoids conflict and Mulan isn't a brainless warrior who Leeroy Jenkins her way through China. They both have both attributes.

And then there's Jasmine and Esmeralda, who ALSO have both attributes but get tossed aside by the Belle fans because they wear less clothing.
misstoril
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:

JafarsRomancer wrote:
Has anyone seen the Hunchback of Notre Dame?

I didn't appreciate that film as a child since a lot of it went over my head, but now that I'm older, wow, Disney got away with that? Laughing It's a lovely film, though.

I feel the same way, I love it, but I love it as an adult. But for kids? Oh to be a fly on the wall for that marketing meeting.
"Now the main character here, is ugly."
"you mean like The Beast right? Cuddly ugly?"
"No, I mean ugly-ugly. He's a deformed hunchback. He looks like Nathan Lane got crushed by a vice"
"..."
"Don't worry though, the story will make kids love him. It's all about religious hypocrisy, bigotry and dark psychosexual obsession!
"... "
"There's also singing gargoyles."
"oh thank god.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JafarsRomancer wrote:
That's awesome! I haven't seen too many, but I'm making it my goal to watch most of them! Any that you would recommend? ^^

Which ones have you seen?

Jafaria wrote:
If you haven't seen Mulan, you need to.

As far as the "OMG Belle is the smartest princess" thing...I actually think Mulan is easily as smart as, if not smarter, than Belle. She isn't seen reading books very much, but she IS seen being an innovative and winning tactician. People act like one is "the smart princess" and one is "the brave princess" but Belle isn't a cringing flower who avoids conflict and Mulan isn't a brainless warrior who Leeroy Jenkins her way through China. They both have both attributes.

And then there's Jasmine and Esmeralda, who ALSO have both attributes but get tossed aside by the Belle fans because they wear less clothing.

Books = SMARTS thing drives me nuts because that is absolutely not indicative of being intelligent at all, which is why all the others get bashed because they're not seen holding a book - thus they're not as smart as she is. Thinking books will make you smart is cute to think when you're five and your teachers trying to get you into the habit of reading (as was the case in the 90s with the whole library propaganda movement and trying to get kids more active in reading), but after a while you find out there are other factors in life that attribute to intelligence, like real world experience, for example. She's book smart, but this brainiac everyone passes her around as is highly debatable.

Oh yes, and there's that. God forbid if a woman is comfortable in their own skin. They're clearly sluts.
Jafaria
Vizier's Handmaiden

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sort of like Hermione. Ron and Harry are as smart as she is. She's just the only one who ate the textbook.
JafarsRomancer
Wife to the Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jafaria: No, I haven't seen Mulan, but I'll watch that one next!

Oh, and I'm a big Esmeralda fan, btw. I love how she won't take crap from anyone. She's definitely the strongest Disney female. I like Megara too...but I just like her attitude. She's not exactly a Mary Sue, you know?

AladdinsGenie: Oh, let's see...I've seen Aladdin, Return, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Hercules, HoND, The Little Mermaid...and I think that might be it unless my memory froze...which it might have. lol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

misstoril wrote:
AladdinsGenie wrote:

JafarsRomancer wrote:
Has anyone seen the Hunchback of Notre Dame?

I didn't appreciate that film as a child since a lot of it went over my head, but now that I'm older, wow, Disney got away with that? Laughing It's a lovely film, though.

I feel the same way, I love it, but I love it as an adult. But for kids? Oh to be a fly on the wall for that marketing meeting.
"Now the main character here, is ugly."
"you mean like The Beast right? Cuddly ugly?"
"No, I mean ugly-ugly. He's a deformed hunchback. He looks like Nathan Lane got crushed by a vice"
"..."
"Don't worry though, the story will make kids love him. It's all about religious hypocrisy, bigotry and dark psychosexual obsession!
"... "
"There's also singing gargoyles."
"oh thank god.

Yeah, the Gargoyles I kind of clung to as a child as I "got them" and they were "funny", but now I want them out as they ruin it Laughing

JafarsRomancer wrote:
Jafaria: No, I haven't seen Mulan, but I'll watch that one next!

Oh, and I'm a big Esmeralda fan, btw. I love how she won't take crap from anyone. She's definitely the strongest Disney female. I like Megara too...but I just like her attitude. She's not exactly a Mary Sue, you know?

AladdinsGenie: Oh, let's see...I've seen Aladdin, Return, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Hercules, HoND, The Little Mermaid...and I think that might be it unless my memory froze...which it might have. lol

I think I read some essay a few years back on LiveJournal of someone trying to state Esmeralda was a Mary Sue before Laughing

Did you like all of those? I think depending on which of the big four you like tends to dictate which of the others you enjoyed. You gotta at least see The Lion King.
Jafaria
Vizier's Handmaiden

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I read that same essay about Esmeralda being a Mary Sue!

Do you see a lot of people saying she's shallow for choosing Phoebus, too? That always annoys me, because the relationship between Phoebus and Esmeralda was actually pretty well established. It was one of Disney's LEAST instant and MOST fleshed-out romances, but because there's also an ugly guy in the story (who's not a villain) people like to argue it's just the two pretty people getting together. Or that it undermines the message, even though Quasimodo was still treated as a hero. Apparently if the hero overcomes his fear and self-hatred, makes friends, saves lives, overthrows a tyrant, and earns the love of the city, that's not a strong enough message if he's still single.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do. Anyone that argues she didn't hook up with him because he was ugly are the ones undermining the message because they're the ones being shallow. That's not why she didn't hook up with him. She didn't have, you know, feelings for him. I find it pretty offensive people are saying you have to hook up with guys that are nice to you and that she didn't make the right 'choice' despite her obviously having feelings for another guy. Putting her and Quasi together would have ruined the message that he didn't NEED someone to be happy with himself and he wasn't the monster he was raised to believe he is. This is why I can never forgive Disney for giving Quasi a damn girlfriend in that horrid sequel because THAT undermines the message more than anything. He had a wonderful life without that. Romance is not the be all and end all of life. As much as we like to see the main characters hook up because it's the way Disney has accustomed us to, it doesn't always have to happen.
APK
Sinister Snack Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's also the idea every Belle fan thinks they're Belle incarnated, which is also obnoxious.

Oh, God Laughing You're so right about this! I know this one Belle fan that really does think she is Belle, even though her personality isn't similar at all. She actually got irritated with me for wanting to dress like Belle for Halloween, and proceeded to explain why she would make a better Belle Confused It bugs me so much because she's exactly the kind of girl that go for Gaston. That wasn't even the first time someone got mad at me for wanting to dress like Belle. Laughing

I swear, most Cinderella fans don't think they're Cinderella incarnate - they only dream of feeling like Cinderella for a day (on their wedding day or prom night or whenever). Pocahontas and Mulan fans only love what the characters represent. I haven't known anyone that said they looked exactly like Poc or Mulan when actually didn't. Or claimed they acted exactly like Pocahontas, when they actually hated nature.

I think most Jasmine fans want to be like Jasmine, but don't fool themselves into thinking they actually embody her in every way. Kim Kardashian is the exception, and I think the majority of Jasmine fans are probably really irritated with her by now. I know I don't look like Jasmine, and I really can't use a pole to jump from rooftop to rooftop Laughing Well, I know I generalized a LOT in this post, which is unfair. I'm really just ranting. So don't mind me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum