Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - The Sequel Formula
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Sequel Formula
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The movie was *ok* (way too many leads and Audrey's lips made me want to get out an eraser and fix them), but the animation was gorgeous. I just stare at the pretty Laughing
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it was pretty, I have to give it that.

It always struck me as being a rather weak clone of Stargate, though. *Shrugs*

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a comparison somewhere between it and SG-1. I think Rebecca did one for SGA itself even though SGA was after the Disney movie. I have to say, the resemblence on both ends is frightening Laughing
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm talking about the original Stargate movie. Y'know, that awesomeosity with Kurt Russel and James Spader. Wink

Jas
Cool Colonel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
I think Rebecca did one for SGA itself even though SGA was after the Disney movie. I have to say, the resemblence on both ends is frightening Laughing
Laughing Yes I did. As soon as I heard "Shepherd's Journal" (and boy is "Shepherd" hard to type Laughing ), I knew I had to do a list of the resemblances.

My list of similarities between Disney's Atlantis and SGA wrote:
- The lights from the ships when Atlantis was under attack is a lot like the Wraith beaming technology.
- Shepherd's Journal - need I say more? Laughing
- In both, it was a misinterpreted symbol that had kept them from finding Atlantis before.
- Milo has a cat that is very important to him, like Rodney does.
- Milo gives a speech about the benefits of going to Atlantis that is very similar to Elizabeth's speech on the same topic.
- "I used to take lunch money from guys like this." reminds me of Ford's line in Hot Zone "Is this what I get for guys like me picking on guys like you in high school?"
- The Atlantis symbol is worn on right sleeve of their jackets in both movies.
- The "A"'s they use to write Atlantis are pretty similar.
- They mention a gate in Disney's version.
- In both, the team nearly drowns while visiting the submerged city.
- Both teams start out with about 200 people.
- There are little glowing bugs in Disney's version very similar to the space bugs in The Defiant One.
- One time, Kida jumps down like the Wraith keeper (the Marilyn Manson Laughing ).
- In Disney's version crystals are used to activate the technology, very similar to the Ancient's gene.
- The villain in Disney's version kind of looks like Genii leader.
- Kida going into the crystal is kind of like the Ancient's ascension.
- The flying aparatus are operated by thought.
- In both, the city's protective shield is activated just in time to hold back oncoming water that would drown everyone.
- Kida is voiced by Rainbow's sister.

Elemental

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're going to make sequels, the animators, should be the same ones who did the originals. The voice actors, too.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds easier than it is. I mean it *can* be done, but it's really really expensive.

Then again, if you're going to put that much money into making a sequel, you might as well continue right?
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well. There are a few cases where, yeah, you're going to have to get a new actor. Sometimes you can get people so good at imitating the original, you can't tell the difference. Sometimes... sometimes your replacement is so off-kilter that it's a defilement to the character.

Speaking of sequels, I saw the preview for Stuart Little III on... some movie. I have a bad feeling about this one. A very bad feeling.

It's animated in CGI.

It appears to have a plot spawned from the Dusty Filedrawer of Plots.

And Nathan Lane doesn't voice Snowbell.

AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very disappointed with most Disney sequels. The only good ones are of the Aladdin trillogy, but maybe that's a biased opinion.

Cinderella 2, I can't believe they had the audacity to call a movie. I'm a bit reluctant to see Cinderella 3, but the only way I can judge it fairly is by watching it when it comes out.

I tried to like The Little Mermaid II, but Disney could have done better. I don't like how they pulled this sister of Ursula's out of their butts, and obviously came up with a new way to tell an old story. (without a prince, of course.) I just think there were so many story oportunities out there, and Disney went with a way too predictable one.

We are watching Return to Neverland right now, and that one's a disappointment, considering Jane wasn't such a brat in the original book. And, HELLO! Captain Hook was killed! (Ok, so we didn't see it in the Disney movie, but he couldn't have outrun that crock.) There are other adventures in Neverland besides Captain Hook, and Jane was an idiot, because to say "I don't believe in fairies" when there's one right in front of you is just plain moronic.

I don't know if I'll watch Bambi II. I didn't even make an effort to get the first movie on DVD, so I don't think I'll watch the second one.

On my Dumbo DVD, they said something about a Dumbo sequel. Did Disney pretty much scrap that idea?

~Hikaru
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well then you'll be happy to know they are (or were. Maybe Pixar stopped it) making:

Brother Bear II
Cinderella III
Fantasia/2006
The Fox And The Hound 2: Friends Forever
Hercules II: The Trojan War
The Little Mermaid III
Mulan III
Oliver & Company II
Peter Pan 3
The Rescuers III
Sleeping Beauty II
The Tinkerbell Movie

It's never going to end *bangs head on desk*
Iago
Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:

The Little Mermaid III
Mulan III
Oliver & Company II
Peter Pan 3

*runs away* NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Oh well then you'll be happy to know they are (or were. Maybe Pixar stopped it) making:

Brother Bear II
Cinderella III
Fantasia/2006
The Fox And The Hound 2: Friends Forever
The Little Mermaid III
Mulan III
Oliver & Company II
Peter Pan 3
The Rescuers III
Sleeping Beauty II
The Tinkerbell Movie

Did I ever tell you that Toy Story 3 may be back on the table? I can't find the article at the moment (too lazy to go over to MiceChat and find the link I posted there) but it was brought up a week or so after the merger, with "Pixar" developing it.
Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they're working on Mulan 3 anymore, but from what I heard, they are going to revive 2D animation for a live action/animated film called "Enchanted".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xfkirsten wrote:
Did I ever tell you that Toy Story 3 may be back on the table? I can't find the article at the moment (too lazy to go over to MiceChat and find the link I posted there) but it was brought up a week or so after the merger, with "Pixar" developing it.

Nah, you didn't tell me, but I did hear that and the reviving 2-D animation thing. For something that has been in production that long, it's no wonder they're finishing it.
APK
Sinister Snack Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a way Disney can keep making unwanted sequels without getting people so angry about it. I mean, even if a sequel is really good people tend to put it down before watching it and here's why:

It's the TWO that gets people so angry. Or the 3. If you can make a sequel without directly stating it's a sequel, people will be mad but not AS mad.

Bambi II was originally going to be named Bambi and the Great Prince of the Forest. It's long but more appealing. They could have just shortened it to Bambi and the Great Prince. It's a miquel after all, not a sequel so I don't know why they named it Bambi II. I'm just glad they didn't name it Bambi 1 and a Half Rolling Eyes

Jasmine and Ariel both had a series. They also have a Princess Collection set--a mini adventure series but not the same as a sequel. I believe Belle had one too, where they showed her adventures in the castle before the beast became human again. It's like a mini adventure series of 4 or 5 episodes. It's not the same as a sequel, so no one was upset. Plus, the animation and voices weren't crap.

If they absolutely HAD to give Cinderella a II and a III, even though they DIDN'T--they should have given her a box set and labeled it "Princess Collection" a collection of her adventures, but not a sequel and not a series.

They should have done the same with Mulan. It would have expanded their Princess Collection merchandise and given the "ignored" princesses a higher status.

It makes little girls happy, it gives the parents quiet time, AND people don't get as angry because "technically" its not a sequel or a series.

Instead of Fantasia 2000 or Fantasia 2006 they should have done what they did with Aladdin

NOT Aladdin II but Aladdin and the Return of Jafar

NOT Aladdin III but Aladdin and the King of Thieves

NOT Beauty and the Beast the Christmas Special but Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas

They should come up with something like Fantasia: The Mystic Waterlilies Rolling Eyes It's more artistic and its not pushing the II or III in everyone's faces.

Fantasia 2000 had a nice ring to it, because 2000 was the millenium and everyone was riding on the millenium bandwagon and wearing silver and thinking the world was going to be rearranged Jetsons Style Laughing
Fantasia 2006 does NOT have a nice ring to it. It's just remining people that studios are out of ideas, no matter how good Fantasia 2006 might be.

When they came out with that Princess thing a few months ago (a DVD with Jasmine, Ariel, Cinderella, and Belle) no one got angry. It was a DVD with some stories in it.

now, I understand they might not be able to do this with everything. You can't give Kuzco, Herc or Aladdin a series and label it "The Princess Collection" Laughing But they could still try it with others. Also, they can't avoid that it's a sequel if the characters have kids.

(Didn't they come out with a DVD for just the villains, once? I don't remember)

Didn't someone on AC say they were going to make a sequel to Pinocchio? Evil or Very Mad Let's hope that's just a rumor or will be stopped before its released but if they MUST, they should make it a "collection." A DVD with a story about Copper and Todd (to avoid making a seperate Fox and the Hound II) and some other Disney guys.

anoter hint to making people less angry about sequels is: Put actual heart and effort into it, like they did with Bambi II. And DON'T give the canon characters kids. Just don't. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum