Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Mistakes Made
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mistakes Made
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though it says DTV, I consider it part of the series. It has more of a series feel to me compared to KOT, which I consider a real DTV. *shrugs*
Calluna

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hourglass wrote:
I think that it's very fair that they compare it to the original. It would have been a different story if it had been the first four episodes of the series... but it wasn't. It was a completely off-set movie, with a different plot line and villians from the original.
How would the plot have been different? Because I'm serious when I say I know at least parts of it were animated before they knew it would be DTV. I've got a cel from a deleted scene here on the site.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calluna wrote:
How would the plot have been different? Because I'm serious when I say I know at least parts of it were animated before they knew it would be DTV. I've got a cel from a deleted scene here on the site.

*hopes they at least talk about deleted scenes or add them on the DVD, but knows that's a long shot*
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Alright, what do you mean when you say DTV? Because, if they were going to make it based on the series, Jafar wouldn't have been in the movie... it would have been Mozenrath. Abis Mal is in the story, and the story leads into the series... not the other way around. They made the movie... the animation is better than the series... and then they made the series. There is little connection, so it isn't enough to say that the movie was fully based on the series.

MEESH AND MYSTICMEG'S COMBINED STORY!!!

Just another weird lil' fanfiction obsession of mine...
xfkirsten
Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wouldn't say Mozenrath would necessarily have been the villain. He probably wasn't even thought up by the time they started RoJ. He came into the series fairly late.

As for Jafar, I don't see why it wouldn't have been Jafar. It's a good bridge from the first movie to the series.
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The fact of the matter is, it followed a wonderfully animated and well plotted movie. The thing is, it didn't even come close to the original in either aspects. It was a let-down for alot of people. But, they redeemed themselves with KOT... where the animation was a bit better and the plot line was fresh.

I really enjoy RoJ's plot line, probably more than I like the original film's plotting (in terms of making the main characters more interesting and whatnot). I try my best to look at each movie as it's own entity that just happens to contain the same characters, so RoJ as itself doesn't bug me, but in comparison to KOT, it's completely overshadowed, and it's about on par to the original to me.
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, I wouldn't say Mozenrath would necessarily have been the villain. He probably wasn't even thought up by the time they started RoJ. He came into the series fairly late.

As for Jafar, I don't see why it wouldn't have been Jafar. It's a good bridge from the first movie to the series.

You see, the link between ROJ and the series was Abis Mal... which I didn't think was very good... because Abis Mal wasn't even a regular villian. I think the reason ROJ is important is because that explained Iago coming back.

There are even four episodes in the series that are supposed to explain everything in case you didn't see the movie, meaning that the animators didn't expect the movie to be the link.

I've been looking for your deleted scene picture, but I can't find it.

xfkirsten
Royal Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But see, if they just had Abis Mal, I think RoJ might have felt less connected to the first movie. That's why I think Jafar was a good way of drawing viewers into the series storyline. Rather than just having a new bad guy all of a sudden, they instead take the old villain and team him up with the new villain... then destroy the old villain, and you're left at the start of the series. It flows a bit better, and makes them feel more connected.
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I try my best to look at each movie as it's own entity

You see, that's something that I don't do. I base the other movies off the original because that's what I believe set the standards. I mean, I give in a little because sequels are RARELY ever as good as the originals, but I do believe that they could of done a little better in their storyline and animation. I didn't see any character development in ROJ.

I am also happy that they made ROJ and KOT unreliable on eachother. You don't need to watch the one to figure out things in the other. *Except for Iago* but if you watch the series, that's explained also. Now in KOT I saw some major character development. In Aladdin and Jasmine. They both seem stronger and Aladdin's past coming undone a little was pretty cool. You got to see a little more about him before he met Jasmine.
Also Cassim was just a damn good character.

Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You see, the link between ROJ and the series was Abis Mal... which I didn't think was very good... because Abis Mal wasn't even a regular villian. I think the reason ROJ is important is because that explained Iago coming back.

Well, I think of all the villains he is the one that appears the most, possibly tied with Mozenrath. I remember that I calculated it once...

"Air Feathered Friends"
"Smolder and Wiser"
"The Vapor Chase"
"The Flawed Couple"
"Lost and Founded"
"Some Enchanted Genie"
"Poor Iago"
"The Seven Faces of Genie"
"The Day the Bird Stood Still"
"Caught by the Tale"
"Egg-Stra Protection"
"The Prophet Motive"
A small-cameo in "When Chaos Comes Calling" (on the TV screen)
ROJ

That's 14, if you count WCCC and RoJ. He's definetly a regular villain.

Quote:
There are even four episodes in the series that are supposed to explain everything in case you didn't see the movie, meaning that the animators didn't expect the movie to be the link.

There are? I heard that there were four 'replacement episodes', which were "The Return of Malcho", "Destiny on Fire", "Vocal Hero", and "From Hippsodeth, with Love", if I remember correctly (All of which are in my top 5/6, so I'm thankful). I didn't know they were to fill the gap of the events of RoJ.
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But see, if they just had Abis Mal, I think RoJ might have felt less connected to the first movie. That's why I think Jafar was a good way of drawing viewers into the series storyline. Rather than just having a new bad guy all of a sudden, they instead take the old villain and team him up with the new villain... then destroy the old villain, and you're left at the start of the series. It flows a bit better, and makes them feel more connected.

I do agree with you on that. I just think that the animators and staff would have known that we were going to link the movie to the original because at that point, the series wasn't out yet. They should have known people were going to be expecting better because the original was INCREDIBLE. ROJ was a hit seller, being one of the movies that made millions of dollars just for being a DTV movie... but I think KOT would have done better if its predicesor had done better also.

Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are? I heard that there were four 'replacement episodes', which were "The Return of Malcho", "Destiny on Fire", "Vocal Hero", and "From Hippsodeth, with Love", if I remember correctly (All of which are in my top 5/6, so I'm thankful). I didn't know they were to fill the gap of the events of RoJ.

There are four episodes that are supposed to explain things if you didn't watch ROJ, but I'm not sure what they are. I believe one of them is "To Cure a Thief," but I'm not sure.... or what the other three are. I'll have to figure that one out.

Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You see, that's something that I don't do. I base the other movies off the original because that's what I believe set the standards. I mean, I give in a little because sequels are RARELY ever as good as the originals, but I do believe that they could of done a little better in their storyline and animation. I didn't see any character development in ROJ.

The original films are also given more time, money, and priority in comparsion to sequels. RoJ took place so close to the original in timeline (for Iago to survive in the lamp logically), that it really wasn't meant to be about a whole new change of character for everyone. But it had a major purpose, to set up the series. The same way that "Stitch: the movie" doesn't work unless we have the L&S series attached to it.
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

There are four episodes that are supposed to explain things if you didn't watch ROJ, but I'm not sure what they are. I believe one of them is "To Cure a Thief," but I'm not sure.... or what the other three are. I'll have to figure that one out.

How does that explain RoJ? It just has Iago watching Abu, and showing that Iago is still villainous. That's not tied to RoJ at all.

I can see "Hero with a Thousand Feathers" as one, to give Iago the conscience arc. But not TCAT.
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The original films are also given more time, money, and priority in comparsion to sequels. RoJ took place so close to the original in timeline (for Iago to survive in the lamp logically), that it really wasn't meant to be about a whole new change of character for everyone. But it had a major purpose, to set up the series. The same way that "Stitch: the movie" doesn't work unless we have the L&S series attached to it.

It's true about the originals... but the sequels are usually kinda good. It all depends on the aspects of Aladdin you like. If you like the series comedy and adventure, then sure, you're going to like ROJ. If you like the romance/action part of Aladdin you're not going to like ROJ because it doesn't fill that aspect as much as the first. That's why I like KOT, because it has a little more of the certain aspect of Aladdin I liked. I liked the series, don't get me wrong, but it would help to say my favorite episode is "The Ethereal" because I like the "Aladdin and Jasmine" aspect of the Aladdin trilogy/series.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum