Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - The Sequel Formula
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Sequel Formula
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney
View previous topic :: View next topic  
persian85033
Elemental

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never knew Peter Pan had a sequel. Wow.
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

persian85033 wrote:
I never knew Peter Pan had a sequel. Wow.

If I were Disney, I'd be embarrassed by it, and wouldn't publicize it to highly either.

MEESH AND MYSTICMEG'S COMBINED STORY!!!

Just another weird lil' fanfiction obsession of mine...
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one a few I actually liked. I have "I Try" burned to a CD. It's a pretty song.

HBONDII, however....
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
That's one a few I actually liked. I have "I Try" burned to a CD. It's a pretty song.

HBONDII, however....

Yeah. The songs were actually pretty good... although not the ones sung by the characters. I mean... like the background vocal music. But... it just wasn't Disney music... y'know. It doesn't count.

HBODII? Sucked more than what was natural. The first one was just a gorgeous film (although I did not agree with the fact that Quasi lived) and let's just face it... no one can replace good ol' Demi Moore.

AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HBONDII is the WORST sequel EVER. I want to say I started doing a crossword puzzle in the middle of it Laughing
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
HBONDII is the WORST sequel EVER. I want to say I started doing a crossword puzzle in the middle of it Laughing

I fell asleep during both that one and MULAN II which I watched simultaneously one day while I was sick. HBoNDII was on the disney channel, and we had rented MULAN II... definetly fell asleep.

Although CinderellaII sucked also. It was just... weird.

AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mulan II I think I just liked more because it was Mulan, but yeah--you could get rid of everything before the bridge scene and it'd be better Laughing

Cinderella II I never made it all the way out. All I remember is Anastasia? getting a boyfriend who was a baker. Yes, let's give the evil whenches boyfriends after their cruel treatment.
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Mulan II I think I just liked more because it was Mulan, but yeah--you could get rid of everything before the bridge scene and it'd be better Laughing

Cinderella II I never made it all the way out. All I remember is Anastasia? getting a boyfriend who was a baker. Yes, let's give the evil whenches boyfriends after their cruel treatment.

The bridge scene was pretty good... but it just didn't fit in with the rest of the movie. It was so serious, and the rest of the movie... well... wasn't.

And Cinderella II pissed me off just for that very reason. I'm sorry, but if you're cruel and horrible you do not deserve to be treated so kindly... and that girl was. It did not stay within character AT ALL...

It, again, disobeyed my rule about not having a sequel made any more than 7 years than the original.

AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I said you could get rid of everything before then Laughing. As serious as it was, I liked the last half better.

I get what they were trying to do, but that just sent the oddest message to kids who watched the original and saw how they treated her after she got a man of her own.

I think that's part of my problem with HBONDII as well. I'm not religiously against Quasi getting someone, but....why?! We just went through that whole thing of "You don't need to be IN love in order to be loved by someone" and then they go and give him someone anyways. I'm not saying say he doesn't deserve someone, but I just liked it better when he didn't.
Hourglass
Elemental

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
That's why I said you could get rid of everything before then Laughing. As serious as it was, I liked the last half better.

I get what they were trying to do, but that just sent the oddest message to kids who watched the original and saw how they treated her after she got a man of her own.

I think that's part of my problem with HBONDII as well. I'm not religiously against Quasi getting someone, but....why?! We just went through that whole thing of "You don't need to be IN love in order to be loved by someone" and then they go and give him someone anyways. I'm not saying say he doesn't deserve someone, but I just liked it better when he didn't.

Like I said, I am a firm believer that Quasi should have died at the end of the movie. I mean, I love his character, but I just think that is how it should have been. That's how the original fairytale, or whatever you'd call it, ended... and yeah...

And... in all actuality, the first movie's message was sorta messed up. No matter how beautiful the plot line/animation/music was... it still showed Esmerelda with Pheobus at the end even though there was much more of a reason for her to be with Quasi. We all know it was because Pheobus was the good looking protagonist male figure. Not that I'm complaining, I sorta like that, but still... it's messed up. And I'm messed up, that's why I like it.

...Plus, the Gargoyles were just better in the first movie. Plus Dhali... and yeah... the second one was pretty much worthless and I believe it was just made to show off JLH's supposed voice.

persian85033
Elemental

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that HoNDII really sucked. You're right, Quasi should have died at the end of the film. That he lived was just...weird. And then, the girl he got too.
Salukfan
Tiger-Clawed Thief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definetly in the "Quasi should have died" camp as well.

HOND 2 is probably my second least favorite sequel, with Pocahontas 2 winning, if you can call that winning.

Quote:

The bridge scene was pretty good... but it just didn't fit in with the rest of the movie. It was so serious, and the rest of the movie... well... wasn't.

That was my biggest gripe with Mulan II. The first half of the movie was silly and comedic, then all of a sudden, there's supposed to be this random dramatic "Shang could die right now!" moment? Bull. The emotion of that scene was lost on me because it felt too left-fieldish.

Other sequels on my crap list are Peter Pan 2, Cinderella 2, and BatB 3 (can't remember the name of it, at all, but it was just some stupid stories strung together)
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing I've noticed is that they'll take characters who, to begin with, were wonderfully well-rounded and flatten 'em out like pancakes. PANCAKES!

'Course, it may not help that sequels are probably written by people who don't 'get' the characters, anyway.

The worst sequel I have EVER seen is The Neverending Story III. I mean... wow. My gag reflexes reflex whenever I think about that movie.

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that BATB one was supposed to be actual stories to a series they were making, but they backed out on it. It's the same thing with Atlantis II. Tarzan II was the same, but they actually made that series.

I still hate LKII Laughing
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'know, I teasingly referred to the sequel to Atlantis as "Atlantis SG-1." "Hey, look, they go back and get Milo! Just like Daniel in Stargate!"

I must say, 'twas a rather poor idea, making a sequel, even if to launch a series. The original wasn't that spectacular, in my opinion.

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Disney All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum