Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Other Interests
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Other Interests
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Other Interests Reply with quote

Alright, so I know we don't just sit around looking up Aladdin information all day (...or do we? Laughing). What is some other stuff you guys are in to or interested in?
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, true. My love for Aladdin has never dwindled, but my obsession with it has taken the back seat for a few years. So, nowadays...

I'm a music education and composition student (entering my junior year), so I spend a lot of time ... doing that. I play piano and French horn and sing and right music. And when I REALLY have nothing to do, I transcribe film scores as a minor hobby.

I like to read, mostly young adult fairy tales (no vampires plz), but also the occasional historical fiction or thriller. I write fiction too, although I haven't been active in the fan aspect in a while. I do "new movie monday" where I watch a new movie every monday after realizing I have lived a sheltered movie life.

I like to do Sudokus, play card games, go karaoking, and I go to church every Sunday (sometimes I lead worship) Razz

I also work at Applebees and am still dating my high school sweetheart. Wink
Fangirlishly Enamored Soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm into swimming, karate, and writing. I like historical fiction but I also like nonfiction--mostly memoirs and diaries. I also know how to play a little piano and guitar.
Streetrat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really into the automotive scene. I own a 9'' lifted F-150 that has been pretty heavily modded. I wish, however, that I had the funds to ditch the bolt on lift that utilizes the factory suspension, and go long travel (ie, the trucks you see jumping the dunes out in the desert)
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I feel like an egomaniac writing a mini-novel about myself Laughing

This is an interesting thread! Why'd it take so long to make one? Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are in to/doing more interesting things than me Laughing
Meesh
Magic Carpet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do tell!! Very Happy

*scoots up Shocked Very Happy *

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see....

I graduated from college about a year ago with a degree in fine arts with the intentions of going into museum work. We'll see how that goes as I'm currently kind of mad at my dreams for having such ridiculous requirements like retail experience, which I'm trying to get but can't because retail jobs requires retail experience. Like I said, I'm kind of mad Laughing

I draw in my spare time and blog over at LJ. It's mostly whining about jobs right now, so it's not that interesting. I enjoy solitary activities, so I'll play cards or online puzzles because I'm lame.

I watch a lot of British television Laughing. I don't know, they just have better shows that are more relevant to my interests. That's about the only time I watch TV and it's not even on the TV (well, some of it eventually gets here but there's a delay, so I just watch the shows with the UK and download them. There's no way to be in a fandom with gaps like that and not get spoiled these days).

Umm...yeah!
APK
Sinister Snack Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love strategy video games. I used to love reading and writing, but it seems like the older you get, the less and less you do read books that aren't assigned to you, or write stuff just for the sake of it. Sigh Sad
Princess of Agrabah
Fangirlishly Enamored Soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's so true. I love reading but honestly I draw/write more than I read books Laughing
Streetrat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AG: You said you needed the experience, but let me warn you, retail SUCKS! I've been stuck doing it for the past six years, one year of which in high school, four to support me throughout college, and now yet another year after college. I graduated with a B.S. in business management, and I was forced to resign from another job I got hired on at making 45k a year. I "only" spent a year getting hired, and was only given a whopping two days' chance. So I wound up getting my job back in hardware retailing (Lowe's,) and am currently looking for something better.

I would not manage retail for the pitiful increase first line supervisors are given compared to what I am making now. When upper/middle management says "Jump!" first line managers are always forced to say "How high?" as well manage to leap through hoops and rings.

This being said, it sucks paying back on student loans when I'm making the same 25k a year I was before I entered college. I know that these are rough times though, so I just grit my teeth and bear it until I have something better...

In your response to having to have retail experience for your field, yeah, it does seem ridiculous, but many industries look to retail as a model for floor presentation and customer service. It sucks, but that's the way it is nowadays...
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have no idea how much I don't want to, but they all seem adament about it. You'd think the year I worked at Disney would replace that considering I dealt with more than anyone in customer service has had to deal with in 30 years, but it's all about the lines on the resume, I guess Confused
minimonster17
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that highly strange that working for Disney does not count as a form of retail experience as well.
AladdinsGenie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I didn't sell anything, but it still felt like I had to deal with the guests as if I did Laughing
minimonster17
Streetrat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but Disney has many retail shops, right? Or were you not involved in that aspect of working at Disney?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum